PDA

View Full Version : Screw this, I'm restarting.

Pike
12-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Have you ever gotten a considerable way into a game and then restarted because you didn't like how things were progressing?

One time I got about halfway through Deus Ex and then realized I didn't like how I'd been doing my skills and augments so I restarted from the beginning. For those of you who don't know, the original Deus Ex is quite long to play through, so that was many, many hours deleted just so I could redo my skills and augmentations.

How about you guys?

Madame Adequate
12-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I do this ALL THE TIME D:

Ayen
12-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Mass Effect 3. I hated the default options so smurfing much that I went back to 2, beat it and then ported my character in 3 from there so I could have MY decisions in 3.

Jinx
12-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Sometimes I wish I could do this with life.

Shorty
12-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Tomb Raider II, because I found out I had missed finding some of the stupid Jade Dragons and I was trying to play a perfect game. :colbert:

Loony BoB
12-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Civilization games. That's about it, really...

Pumpkin
12-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Yes.

Spuuky
12-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Never. If I don't like it, too bad, I should have chosen more wisely earlier.

Fuzakeru
12-16-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't worry about it because I'll probably only play 3/4ths of the game anyway and never finish it. If I pick the game back up again at a later date I'll restart from the beginning though.

Elskidor
12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
I restarted FFXII when nearly finished because I messed up on opening treasure chests. Made me so mad! Dumbest trick ever. Or one of them. Gaw hated it. Then again it happened in FFX. I had to do restart the game because I missed something vital in order to get all the summons. Very annoying too.

My first MMO I went all the way to a level 41 Warrior (took a very long time in early MMO days, mind you..and I was an obvious newb lol) only to get mad and restart the same exact class as a different race and sex and do it all over again. This did absolutely nothing to help me with my warrior, but it turned out I enjoyed staring at a female toon better than a male one so I progressed much much better the second go around.

I may have done this with other games too, but I can't remember right now.

Flying Mullet
12-16-2013, 06:40 PM
I am glad that games started offering ways to reassign skills, attributes and the like for minor penalties. I started playing a new game of Etrian Odyssey III about a month ago and it's been nice to be able to reset my characters' skill points and sub-class selection for a loss of five levels. It takes a lot of the stress and worry about "the right build" out of the game and it also keeps me off of online strategy guides hoping I am building everyone right.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-16-2013, 06:43 PM
If i'm near the beginning of a game I'll just restart it. It doesn't even have to be a missable item. It can be an item that is helpful because I get it earlier than a shop would allow me. For example, in Final Fantasy IX I ain't leaving those opening credits without stealing a Mage Masher.

Sometimes when I'm pretty far in the game I just say "well, that gives me a reason to look forward to another playthrough down the line".

If I'm halfway through the game I might quit playing for a while because I would otherwise go through the rest of the game feeling "imperfect". Which is a feeling I can't explain or justify. I just want to get one of everything. Or at least, have the option to go back and get one of everything. I'm cool with missing something if I can go pick it up later.

Missable items! :argh:

One item I make sure I never forget is the Beast Spear you take from someones ashes in Breath of Fire III. As soon as you leave the room after you beat the boss, the item is gone forever. It's one of Garr's best weapons!

Tasura
12-16-2013, 06:43 PM
I generally only restart a game if it's been too long since I last played and entirely forget where I am/what I'm supposed to be doing/how to play xD.

Agent Proto
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I rarely restart a game if I'm heavily invested in it. Though, I did once when I found out that I ended up stuck and couldn't advance any further in the story/game. This happened once in Wild ARMs 2. I was far in the game, but I ended up stuck on the world map, because I didn't do something I needed to do. I even looked up in a walkthrough and found out that I completely skipped an important part. I had to restart the game just so I won't skip that. :U

Pete for President
12-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I took a Dark Souls character into the Tomb of Giants before even ringing the second Bell of Awakening in order to get Rhea's miracles as early as possible. Bad idea. Severely underleveled I messed up the fight with her Hollow guards, accidentally aggroing the lady herself. So I had to venture back to Oswald to cleanse my sin, but the way up from the Tomb of Giants and Catacombs was just impossible to clear. Even if I had rescued Rhea successfully I probably wouldn't have made it back up, this is probably the hardest route in the game.

RIP that character.

Pumpkin
12-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah, I do have a tendancy to play a game until the final dungeon and then say "I want to get stronger first" and then get bored with that and stop playing for months, sometimes years, and the come back and say, well at this point I want to start over. And then repeat.

Iceglow
12-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Deus Ex Human Revolution, I was like 40% of the way through when suddenly I realized I had screwed a couple of things up. So I restarted there and then. I'm now like 80% of the way through and realized I could have had a far easier time of it if I had done some other bits and pieces different. Like activating and maxing the game breaking Typhoon early on.

Formalhaut
12-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Oh God don't remind me of the amount of times I restarted FFXII because I didn't play it in a long time and now sort of didn't know what I was doing when I picked it up again...

I think I've done this for most of the games I own. The Sims 3 is the worst. I get quite deep and attached to a family, then I for whatever reason stop playing, and then... oh well, start with a new one.

I'm not a strong finisher, has to be said.

Hollycat
12-17-2013, 02:57 AM
All the time, I'll make a choice I didn't mean to or I'll regret one, then reset out of frustration.

Del Murder
12-17-2013, 04:17 AM
I've only done this a couple times. If I'm far in a game it's not worth it.

Ghosteses
12-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Tomb Raider II, because I found out I had missed finding some of the stupid Jade Dragons and I was trying to play a perfect game. :colbert:

this xD i love/hate this game

Jowy
12-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Once I looked up Star Ocean 2 on GameFAQs I immediately deleted my save and started over.

You are well rewarded for using a strategy guide, much like all tri-ace games.

Tasura
12-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Once I looked up Star Ocean 2 on GameFAQs I immediately deleted my save and started over.

You are well rewarded for using a strategy guide, much like all tri-ace games.

This totally reminded me about my first run at Suikoden, yea, I got to the end and had to restart because I failed to recruit one person so I couldn't get the perfect ending.

Quindiana Jones
12-17-2013, 01:21 PM
The Elder Scrolls series gives me the worst case of restartitis.

Jiro
12-19-2013, 12:14 PM
pretty much every game. like it takes me a fair while to stop being completely useless and at that point I'm like "well what if I started now?​"

Hollycat
12-19-2013, 04:33 PM
I always forget that blackmail is the good option in new Vegas when you go into the omertas. And without fail I save before I remember

Jessweeee♪
12-19-2013, 05:14 PM
I always cried a little inside when my boyfriend got a game that started with creating a custom playable character because he would always spend hours customizing, tweaking everything just slightly, and then restarting and doing it all over again with a different kind of character. Then he'd play a couple more hours and repeat.

Pike
12-20-2013, 10:03 AM
The Elder Scrolls series gives me the worst case of restartitis.

With TES I spend 45 minutes making the perfect character and then at the last second deciding I want to be a different race.

(Truthfully doesn't happen often because Dunmer Master Race but sometimes :shobon: )

Spuuky
12-20-2013, 04:57 PM
(Truthfully doesn't happen often because Khajiit Master Race but sometimes :shobon: )I agree.