PDA

View Full Version : Triple Triad is my favorite minigame of the series

Karifean
12-17-2013, 08:11 PM
I just finished replaying FF VIII since it came out on Steam and came to a realization... Triple Triad is an amazingly addictive minigame. Its simple concept makes it easy to pick up and then it's so much fun. All the different rules keep the game versatile and fresh (although some of them can go die in a fire) and FF VIII has enough sidequests and rewards for Triple Triad to keep you busy for quite some time if you enjoy it.

Also, THAT THEME.
http://youtu.be/74ZXp_5M_7c

I've spent many many hours in FFVIII doing nothing but playing Triple Triad. Discuss the awesomeness of this minigame.

Madame Adequate
12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
The one and only downside to FFVIII Triple Triad is a couple of the rules are bad and the ways rules spread and change are super obscure.

Other than that it is second only to Blitzball in my eyes in the entire series' minigames. It's superb. FFIX's variant is good too but VIII has the definitive version.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Triple Triad is something I'll sometimes just turn on FFVIII for to play. Usually this consists of me opening up a save file near the end of the game, starting a match, and realizing that all the bad rules have spread everywhere and I feel sad.

Karifean
12-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I had actually planned on fighting Ultima and Omega Weapon right after finishing the main game but I got hung up on playing Xu on the Ragnarok about a million times. The fact that you can win back your refined cards is just awesome.

I would've also said Blitzball is better than Triple Triad until a week ago. The two of them are definitely my favorites, but I can now say that TT surpasses BB by just a bit for me.

Ayen
12-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I love it too, it's a shame I'm complete crap at it.

Crop
12-17-2013, 11:53 PM
*enters thread to offer personal opinion*

Other than that it is second only to Blitzball in my eyes in the entire series' minigames. It's superb.

*Uses other persons opinion*

Jessweeee♪
12-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Not only is it a fun minigame, but it gives you access to game breaking power as well!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Not only is it a fun minigame, but it gives you access to game breaking power as well!

Gotta love being able to use "card mod" and getting Squall's second best weapon before leaving Balamb! I don't consider it a game breaker as much as a reward for investing in mini-games and leveling GF abilities :D

Ayen
12-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Gotta love being able to use "card mod" and getting Squall's second best weapon before leaving Balamb! I don't consider it a game breaker as much as a reward for investing in mini-games and leveling GF abilities :D

Wait, what!?

Rantz
12-18-2013, 05:04 PM
The one and only downside to FFVIII Triple Triad is a couple of the rules are bad and the ways rules spread and change are super obscure.
Yep, pretty much. It's not my absolute favourite but it's definitely up there.

Wait, what!?

You betcha! If I remember correctly, you can even get the Lionheart before leaving Balamb Island, although you have to level up quite a bit for it.

Ayen
12-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Yugi was right, I should have listened to the heart of the cards.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-19-2013, 12:20 AM
You can indeed get the Lionheart before leaving Balamb island. You definitely should have listened to Yugi.

Aquarian
12-19-2013, 01:00 AM
I like the Elastoid card ^.^

Karifean
12-19-2013, 09:53 AM
How do you get Adamantine before leaving Balamb?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-24-2013, 08:21 AM
As far as I know you can get Lionheart on Disc 1, but not before leaving Balamb Island. I think you at least need to make it to the Dollet area so you can level up and kill the Adamantoises for their high-level adamantine drop.