PDA

View Full Version : a rant about how i hate yahoo mail

Jessweeee♪
12-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Ok I've had the same yahoo mail account for ten years now. I've never had an issue with it until the past year when they got all uppity about passwords. I logged in one day and it was all "No you have to change your password now because it doesn't have an uppercase letter or a special character! It must have both!" So I changed my password and remember me'd it because fuck that stupid password and then the next time I clear my cookies and have to log in again I've forgotten it of course, and I have to change it again. Now I have to add security questions. They're all pre-selected stupid ass questions like "what was your first pet's name" or "what is your favorite color" or "what is your mother's maiden name." Essentially all things everyone in my whole family knows, you know, the people I don't want snooping through my emails. So I picked "where was your honeymoon" thinking heh heh I never went on one, they'll never guess what I put for this question. WELL NEITHER COULD I THE NEXT TIME AROUND. :( :( :( So then luckily I had a reset code sent to another email address and that website wasn't a TOTAL BITCH about it and let me in. So yeah I do that and get my reset code and change my password and log in, and it's all "oh hey you changed your password two months ago SOMEONE IS HACKING YOUR ACCOUNT YOU NEED TO GIVE US YOUR PHONE NUMBER SO YOU CAN RESET IT AGAIN" and I'm like "fuck you yahoo you're so mean to me" and left FOREVER

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/frown.gif

fire_of_avalon
12-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Breakups are always hard. Get some ice cream and power through.

Miriel
12-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Years and years ago, Yahoo deleted all my emails because I hadn't logged in for a couple months. I forget how many months but it wasn't a super long time. I had graduated High School and started using my college email account and just sorta let the Yahoo one slide. And those fuckers deleted all my emails from middle school through high school. It broke my heart.

Jessweeee♪
12-18-2013, 05:27 AM
WHAT those jerks

Calliope
12-18-2013, 05:41 AM
I think over the years I've managed to lock myself out of my hotmail account (ugh), as well as Aim, MSN...basically I've backed myself into a corner where Google is my only option now because all of my passwords and security questions were too random, whoops. I'd like to be able to read some of those old emails though!

Jessweeee♪
12-18-2013, 05:47 AM
I was just like, I am NOT going to put a fucking sticky note on my monitor nope no not gonna be that person EVER

Shlup
12-18-2013, 05:48 AM
For some reason the Yahoo Mail app syncs with my phone contacts instead of my email contacts, so I can't send like any emails from my phone 'cause it's a different address book than the one I actually need. Bastards.

Calliope
12-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Good news, everyone! Hotmail deleted my entire account, but by some stroke of luck no one took my email address, the best email address ever!! So, everyone I used to email between 1998 and 2005, please forward me all of our emails!! Boo it would have been cool to stalk Greg though.

Shorty
12-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Hotmail deleted my account after what I felt was not an incredibly long amount of absent time. So I moved on to gmail, and I will never use anything else. :jess:

Sephiroth
12-18-2013, 09:01 AM
I also think some changes are a bit weird but I can live with it. Youtube changes on the other hand are more irrtating for me. At least is one more reason for me not to comment that much anymore.

Chris
12-18-2013, 09:28 AM
It pisses me off. A lot. Like strawberry cheesecake.

Loony BoB
12-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Yahoo! Mail's recent changes have been a bit balls, but I haven't required a special character and I already use capital letters and numbers in my passwords by default, so I'm okay there. I'm luckily pretty good for remember passwords for the most part.

I agree the security questions are dumb as hell and this is a fairly internet-wide problem. I love it when they have custom questions allowed (and now that I think about it, I'm sure I have a custom question on my one) because I can put completely non-questions into the security question, like my current one of choice is simply *cough* which is not a question but a key word I would use with a certain person a long, long, long time ago and the password is a fairly unrelated but still easily remembered word associated with that person. Essentially it's pretty much unguessable without being me or doing some serious hacking.

I don't like Hotmail or Gmail, so I've stuck with Y!Mail through good times and bad. It's not as bad as the system they almost forced me to use, but it's still not as good as the old Y!Mail Classic which was just perfect (internet change is the worst). It has a few great things in it, though, like the 'Recent' bit which covers recent emails you've opened and whatnot. Beyond that, the bigges bonus of Y!Mail is that it's the one account I've used since 1997 and that means it has a massive archive of emails that I don't have to lose, and also people who haven't known me since high school have contacted me from time to time after they found my email in the yearbook which I found rather amusing.

Pike
12-18-2013, 10:18 AM
I've never actually used Yahoo Mail. I used Hotmail for years - had Hotmail accounts before it was owned by Microsoft - and then switched to Gmail. I really wish there was a good alternative to Gmail though, because I'm trying to distance myself from Google as much as possible.

noxious.sunshine
12-18-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm weird with email...

I open an account and I'll have the mind set of "this will be my new personal account. No putting my email into spammy online shopping sites, no signing up for stuff. NADA."

But then it happens and before I know it, Spam everywhere and I have to move on to a new account.

xD

Sephex
12-18-2013, 12:56 PM
*looks down*

I still use Hotmail even though it has become Outlook Express or something.

Citizen Bleys
12-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Jessweeee♪
01-09-2014, 09:32 PM
I have had to reset a password at another website with this problem, and the password reset email WENT TO YAHOO AND I FORGOT MY NEW PASSWORD BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT I AM SO MAD

EDIT:

Resetting my password again. I've tried "nailchocolate" and some numbers before and after, a password combination I have never in my life used, and yahoo determined that this is completely unacceptable because I can't have a password that contains a part of my name. I can't even find two consecutive characters that match my first name, last name, or user id. Am I not allowed to use any one character that's in one of those fields? I may have eliminated the entire alphabet.

Ayen
01-12-2014, 08:38 AM
I haven't used Yahoo mail for a while, but I pretty much hate anything that requires you to have a lowercase, uppercase, number, etc. in order for it to accept the password. It's all well and good if they encourage that by showing your password strength, but I can make a password nice and uncrackable without having to use all of the above, thank you. Skype had the same thing when it comes to numbers.

I stick with Gmail these days.

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2014, 06:00 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!! it keeps happening!!!

it remembers my passwords and doesn't let me change it to anything too similar to anything i've used before

I'm running out of proper nonsense to use for passwords after sixteen or so passwords

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2014, 06:05 AM
i've tried various combinations of words such as "trout" "service" "orange" "an" and number strings all rejected because it "can't include my username or name" which is just the name of an unpopular vegetable

wat

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2014, 06:20 AM
captain's log stardate 4358.7

start to suspect i am not allowed to share a single character from my name i try typing characters into the box one at a time to see specifically what character or strings will make it change from "too weak" to "Your password cannot allow your name or username." i figured it out. i can't use the letter "t".

the fucking letter t

why

chionos
08-20-2014, 06:45 AM

Loony BoB
08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
May I suggest contacting Yahoo! Support regarding you being unable to use the letter T in your password?

theundeadhero
08-20-2014, 04:39 PM
I've had a Yahoo email account for over 10 years. It asks me to change my password about every 6 months. I alternate between two different passwords each time it happens. It's never made me enter a phone number or told me I couldn't use a password. Remember your password and it's the easiest thing ever.

Loony BoB
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I've never had a Yahoo! password change forced upon me. Only ever done it voluntarily. :o

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2014, 05:47 PM
I've had a Yahoo email account for over 10 years. It asks me to change my password about every 6 months. I alternate between two different passwords each time it happens. It's never made me enter a phone number or told me I couldn't use a password. Remember your password and it's the easiest thing ever.

See it won't let me use anything similar to my old passwords. And after like the sixth time this happened I started writing them on a sticky note like a big fat loser augh

theundeadhero
08-20-2014, 10:24 PM
I wonder why everyone has different experiences. WTF?

Colonel Angus
08-21-2014, 12:16 AM
Count me in as someone who had their Hotmail emails deleted. It sucks, because I had saved an email conversation w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan that I did for a school assignment. Thankfully, I printed those out (even though I don't know where they are :mad:). Still pissed me off, because I only was gone for a month.

escobert
08-21-2014, 01:36 AM
I've used Gmail since it was in beta and haven't really ever had issues with it. I also don't really send a lot of emails.

Jessweeee♪
04-11-2015, 10:03 PM
THIS BULLtrout IS HAPPENING AGAIN WHEN WILL IT STOP YAHOO WHEN WILL IT STOP

PLEASE SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP

I logged into twitch and twitch was like "ok you have to reset your password because reasons check your email" and I check my email and yahoo is all "hi we've had some changes recently click next and we'll walk you through what to do next ok ok" and I do it and this smurfing trout again I screamed when i saw the passowrd boxfasodfljaweklfefsgefbejbnejoarwejiorfw

EDIT:

apparently hitting "enter" after typing your password in twitch goes to the reset password link rather than the log in link who knew

Mirage
04-12-2015, 02:39 AM
Security questions are the worst trout ever. I never write anything even close to accurate in them because i consider them enforced security risks.

All of them either ask questions that don't have valid answers to me, or are extremely easy to figure out if you actually know that I exist.

Where did you go to primary school? In your mother.

Aulayna
04-12-2015, 01:07 PM
I've had my Yahoo account since 1999, never had any issues with it aside from the fact it pretty much gets spammed to the rafters now where my e-mail has existed for so long and has been used at so many places. It's pretty much my junk mail account now :D

It's also never asked me to change my password ever since I setup SMS recovery on it a few years ago. So weird it's making you go through all that hassle Jess. :s

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2015, 02:57 AM
whywhwywhwywhwywgywghywghwhwywhwywhywhnywhwhywhywhy

IT HAPPENED AGAIN. I threw away my sticky note because keeping sticky notes with your passwords on them is stupid and lame. so naturally I've forgotten it because I've had to change it so many times so it's like, "ok lets send an email to your other email account to verify its you." And I'm like ok. Great. My xbox live email. NOPE can't get to my xbox live email because now microsoft started on some weird "all in one" bull and they want to send something to my yahoo email to verify I'm me.

it never ends! IT NEVER ENDS

10 years of using yahoo with no problems, suddenly problems every day for two years ; ;

my password can't be the same as previous passwords and i think i've exhausted all of the passwords i can remember

escobert
07-15-2015, 03:17 AM
Why are you just not strictly using Gmail by now!? :p

Vyk
07-15-2015, 03:36 AM
Yeah, Microsoft locked me out of my account for like a year, until I got sick of it and needed to use my XBox again. I forget what actually prompted me to fix it, but there was QUITE a lot of flaming hoops to jump through. Considering the phone number they had on file was invalid, and it wouldn't let me know what it was or change it since it needed to be verified first

I have to agree, I've never had any issues with Google. I've had a GMail since it was invite-only. Didn't actually use it until I got my first smart phone that required an email link. But ever since then it's been my main email service. I have a Windows phone now, so I have to pay attention to my hotmail just as much. But I haven't had any issues with that for a few years now either. But yeah. When I first came across microsoft's account issues, it was a couple days of craziness. So I can completely understand

I don't know why you would hate Gmail so much, but really, I'd say they're your best bet at the moment if Yahoo is going to be that stupid. But if you want to use Hotmail, it's not a lost cause (or at least it shouldn't be), and if you're like me, once you get through those hoops it won't be so bad. Just make sure you update everything in your profile once you get in, so changing your password the next time you forget won't be so bad. I've had to reset my hotmail a couple of times since, but it hasn't been nearly the headache as that first time. Which seems to be what EVERY time is for you and Yahoo. And I would have given up on that right quick. But I dunno

What browser do you use? I've gotten to the point where I have Google Chrome tell me what my passwords are for certain sites because I get tired of forgetting and having to reset. I assume Firefox and Opera also have a password storage thing you can look at somewhere in the settings. It's quite handy. No post-it note required

Mirage
07-15-2015, 04:41 AM
gmail is the only free web mail worth even thinking about tbh

Sephex
07-15-2015, 04:54 AM
No one is going to agree with me on this, but I don't primarily use a gmail address simply because I am still irritated that they did that whole ~special invite~ thing when it first was introduced. That kind of ~exclusive~ bulls*** never sat right with me. Then they tried to do that sort of thing again with Google+ and look how well that turned out for them.

Long story short, f*** gmail.

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2015, 09:13 PM
I do use gmail. But I had the yahoo mail account years before gmail was even a thing and I don't even want to fathom trying to change over the address for every. single. thing. I registered it to.

Vyk
07-16-2015, 03:07 AM
Wasn't Facebook invite only once they stopped being exclusive to college and stuff? It'd be a good reason to hate them too :P Not that there's much there to care about anymore anyway

Sephex
07-16-2015, 05:04 AM
Wasn't Facebook invite only once they stopped being exclusive to college and stuff? It'd be a good reason to hate them too :P Not that there's much there to care about anymore anyway

The difference there is that Facebook was built as a college networking system only. They did eventually branch out, and rather quickly once the general public got wind of it. It sucks now, but it's great for setting up meet ups with friends (larger groups), keeping up with your relatives, finding out what dick holes old High School acquaintances are now, finding out which relatives are horrible people inside, what that weird kid that set himself on fire in Home Education is up to, comparing your accomplishments to others in an easily staged and manipulated environment, and many more wonderful things in the connected but disconnected world we live in! :)