PDA

View Full Version : Free Stuff

Calliope
12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Hey everyone,

Looks like Adobe is giving away free, legitimate downloads (http://gizmodo.com/5973730/grab-photoshop-and-cs2-for-absolutely-free-right-here) of their second Creative Suite (which includes PhotoShop) on their website (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?pid=4485850&e=cs2_downloads) - so maybe that's helpful to some people here.

Use this thread to talk about your love/hate of free stuff.

I spend a lot of time fending off free promotional crap (pens, drink bottles, key chains, t-shirts, calendars, bookmarks), but occasionally I'll get something awesome. I take home a lot of free, near-mint-condition books from my workplace, too. Spuuky brings home a lot of odd "promotional/test" items from his work, like vegan pumpkin pie, spinach tea, random energy drinks, and raw dehydrated onions - they have varying levels of success but they're all pretty interesting!

noxious.sunshine
12-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Oooohhh.. This is great!

... I already have Photoshop, but still great. xD

I love free things, but I'm not big on sampling foodstuffs in the grocery store. I feel like it makes me look awkward or weird or you know... -Fat-.

I think the most memorable freebie was a couple of years ago around Easter.. I took my daughter grocery shopping at Kroger and let her pick out a book.. And then I let her do the self-scanners and ring up the few groceries I bought.. The manager was standing at the front of the store and gave her a big stuffed bunny. And then anytime I'd take her to eat at whatever restaurant I worked at, my friends would just bring her a bunch of sides- cinnamon apples, mac & cheese, steamed broccoli, etc. & a big dessert.

Yeaaahhh buddy!

Shlup
12-18-2013, 06:39 PM
But CS3 and up is where it starts to get good!

Today I'm gonna pick up my Christmas present from work! Last year it was an ornament, Disneyland tickets, and a bunch of coupons for free popcorns and stuff.

Ayen
12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
I like free stuff because it's free, though at the same time free stuff can suck because they're free so it's 50/50 for me. Depends on the stuff.

AssassinDX
12-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm with Tori on this one, free stuff is all well and good but you've obviously got to spent the moolah if you want decent quality items for the most part.

That said I did get a free 8GB USB stick a while back, and I've signed up to the 'friends of Jack Daniels' website and they send me cool stuff twice a year or so like a metal cocktail mixer and beer mats. Oooh, and I signed up to the Lego Club a while back for my son, every three months or so they send a nifty magazine to him for free.

Pike
12-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I enjoy things that are FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

https://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnu-post/GNU-Free-as-in-Freedom.png

I used Linux exclusively for like six years. The only reason I quit was because I was tired of jury-rigging a million hoops in order to get games running through Wine. I keep thinking about going back to it now that Steam for Linux exists, though.

Shorty
12-18-2013, 11:57 PM
I just received an R2D2 case for my phone in the mail just the other day from a blog contest I entered! The blogs I follow are always doing giveaways for completing silly things like facebook likes, tweets and blog comments. Hell yeah I will do that if it earns me free stuff. (I do this too, it's totally a gimmick to get more followers.)

Shiny
12-19-2013, 04:29 AM
I have creative suite cs4 but I want this one because it's free. :shiny:

Adobe got on my trout list though because they recently had people hack in their site and stole people's credit card information. I know because they sent me a formal letter saying how sorry they were that my account may be compromised.

The only things I get for free on a regular basis are movies thanks to the National Board of Review.

Yamaneko
12-19-2013, 05:13 AM

I used Linux exclusively for like six years. The only reason I quit was because I was tired of jury-rigging a million hoops in order to get games running through Wine. I keep thinking about going back to it now that Steam for Linux exists, though.

Steam for Linux, Wine and about a million other things on Linux aren't Free as in Freedom according to the GNU project.

Pike
12-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Steam for Linux, Wine and about a million other things on Linux aren't Free as in Freedom according to the GNU project.

Oh I'm quite aware. :p If I was going by GNU's standards I would have said GNU/Linux as well (pronounced guh-new slash Linux of course). Fortunately for me I like things that are free as in beer as well as free as in freedom.