PDA

View Full Version : Do your parents play video games?

AssassinDX
12-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Hopefully this topic doesn't cause any insensitivity, apologies if it does.

My parents were never really interested in games, when I was younger my dad would play Mario Kart on the SNES with me but that was about it. Saying that he's more interested in it now since technology has advanced and quite likes the flight and train simulator games, and when he visits me we'll often play Rock Band for an hour or so.

How about your parents?

*edit*

Wrong board, my bad.

Shauna
12-18-2013, 09:04 PM
:up:

My parents do enjoy the occasional video game. Dad used to kick my butt at Worms again and again when I was younger. xD

Ayen
12-18-2013, 09:06 PM
My dad is actually the guy who showed me all the secret blocks in Super Mario Brothers. Nowadays he'll usually play a golf or fishing game. I remember playing a Golf game on Nintendo (though I don't remember which) with him. I also played a round of Pong with him too. He was also the one who picked up a couple of Tiger Wood Golf Games to play on the PlayStation and PlayStation 2. My mom never really played any games asides from the hunting game based on her job.

Araciel
12-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Dad has never played a video game in his life.

Mom was the one who rented NES while we were away at grandma's and decided to get one for Christmas in 1988.

She now plays FB games only.

Pumpkin
12-18-2013, 09:16 PM
My mom does, yes.

Shorty
12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
No and I get berated for wasting my time from my mom.

My dad used to watch me play FFVIII because he was pretty interested in the animation and was creating a lot of video shorts and stuff using LightWave, etc at the time, and I think he liked seeing the possibilities of what could be done.

Endless
12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
It's funny you ask. Last week my dad was visiting to help me finish with ly kitchen furniture, and after that, before we went out for dinner, I got him to try playing Gran Turismo 6, which pretty much the only time I saw him playing a video game since I was born. He was terrible at it, but it was nice nonetheless.

Psychotic
12-18-2013, 09:29 PM
My mother has always outright refused to touch a single game. My dad did play a bit with us when me and my brother were younger but stopped at around the end of the PS1 generation. I used to like watching him play the games I was too scared to play! He was a big fan of Tomb Raider - and no, not 'cause of the pixel boobs. He genuinely enjoyed figuring out all the puzzles, bless him. He still will play something if you ask him to but it's not his thing.

Del Murder
12-18-2013, 09:30 PM
My dad is pretty good at Tetris but that's about it.

Ghosteses
12-18-2013, 09:34 PM
i think my father played some computer games before i was born but i have never seen him sit and play like me though he plays gran turismo with me and my marm will play a game of bubble bobble with me some nights xD

my aunt (yeah yeah everyone knows) is the gamer of the family. DESPITE POPULAR BELIEF SHE DOES NOT OWN EVERY GAME IN THE WORLD AND IS NOT MADE OF MONEY (hint hint jason)

she is just well... older then me and has gotten a small collection which is awesome because i get to play all those games that are before my time =D all the consoles and games i own came from here and she lets me beat her at super smash bros xD

my parents do not disrespect games they are happy i have something to do as long as it is not ALL i do. and to be honest i probably only play a few hours every other day if that o.o even now that i have a TV in my room. the longest i play a game is probably in bed with my psp. one time i fell asleep with it on and the battery died and i had not saved.. one of my limbs was pressing a button. sleep mode ineffective >.<

Pike
12-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Both of my parents played quite a bit when I was young; this would have been the mid to late 80s. They played a variety of Commodore 64 games; my mom even became unbeatable at one named H.E.R.O. and she also used graph paper to map out entire levels of the "Aliens" video game. (Yes, based on the movie.)

They stopped gaming at some point in the early 90s, although my dad likes chess games (like Chessmaster) and my mom had this weird brief stint about ten years back where she was obsessed with Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 for Xbox. xD

They have spawned six videogaming kids and have never once given us flak for it; they know by now that family reunions inevitably turn to talking about games and any time one of us has expressed an interesting in possibly going into the game development industry (none of us actually have so far, but I think every one of us has entertained the notion) they are very supportive. My brother actually works for Razer; I think he's in charge of their YouTube channel or something, so I guess he sort of counts as going into video games in a roundabout way and the whole family is super proud of him.

Botchmun
12-19-2013, 12:16 AM
When I was a wee babby my mum would play old Amiga titles like Sidewinder, Marble Madness, and Shadow of the Beast with me on her lap. I was all over Pole Position, Frogger, and a ton of other titles for the Commodore 64 and the Atari 2600 at that age as well. To this day she'll occasionally pick up a game-pad or wii-mote, in fact she plays Wii far more than I do and when I had my PS2 she'd always play Katamari and ALWAYS get a better score than me.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-19-2013, 12:16 AM
My dad has no interest in games whatsoever. My mom doesn't really anymore, but she used to have an obsession with Ms Pacman and Galaga. She also played Tomb Raider pretty frequently on our pc when I was a kid. When we got a PS1 she was obsessed with Spyro and one of those Namco Museum games. Now I'm pretty sure she just does workout games on the Wii.

Bolivar
12-19-2013, 01:47 AM
My mom was never a gamer, although I think she did play once or twice with Mario or something just to entertain us. My dad was a big gamer in the NES days and was also nice in the arcades but stopped after that era. One day when I was a senior in high school and living with him he brought home one of those plug and play joysticks and got me into Galaga. When he took me out drinking after my 21st birthday we found an arcade that had it and played it there, too. He was crazy good at those old school shmups and I want to show him the modern day iterations of them like Resogun on PS4.

Other than that, I think he plays smartphone games and when the DS Lite and NSMB came out, I let him try it and he just had this huge smile on his face, I think it really put him back in that mindset of the time.

Sephex
12-19-2013, 01:54 AM
My parent's really got into Dr. Mario and Tetris. Dad actually beat Mega Man 2 back in the day as well. Before that, they played some random PC games. Other than that? Nope. Dad claims that the habit is too expensive to get into (but buying tons of comic book memorabilia isn't somehow). His excuse is that when he gets into something, he REALLY gets into it. It's a go big or go home thing he claims.

Yet he will occasionally say he wants to try Arkham Asylum because he's a big Batman fan. I told him to go for it, but things have come a long way and probably evolved more than he could imagine. He claims he'd be fine. I would like to see him try, but his interest is a very mild one, and he will probably never try it.

Oh, mom also plays Facebook games, she's really big into Viking Clan or something.

Miriel
12-19-2013, 02:37 AM
I don't think my parents have ever played a video game in their lives.

My Grandma is super into Tetris though.

Ayen
12-19-2013, 01:49 PM
My mom never really played any games asides from the hunting game based on her job.

I am a dumbass. I totally forgot that my mother is the family's Pokemon Master because she played Red, Blue and Yellow, caught all 150 Pokemon in all three games, level them up to level 100 (or 99, I forget where it caps off) and would have done the same on Gold/Silver had her job not got in the way. I HAVE DISGRACED MY FAMILY!

-runs self through with a sword-

escobert
12-19-2013, 02:03 PM
My mom was willing to play Jet Moto with e as a kid and helped me with a few riddles in FF's but otherwise she wasn't very interested in videogames. Dad however immediately turns the Wii on when I come over and starts talking trash about how he'll kick my butt. He had a nes & snes when I was a kid and played both with me a lot when I was at his house.

Elskidor
12-20-2013, 05:53 AM
My dad is pretty good at Tetris but that's about it.

That is my mom. Or it was..I have no idea if she still plays though.

When I was 4 or 5 my dad woke me in the middle of the night to show me that he got to last world on the original NES Mario. He was so damn excited I thought he lost his mind. Shortly after that he gave himself a guilt trip about being too old for games and never touched another one again. I think his father lectured him about being a proper father or some junk. He was always overly sensitive on his father's approval/disapproval. Kinda sad because I woulda loved playing video games with him growing up.

Jiro
12-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Both of my parents have played video games in the past. Never really was a first preference hobby for either of them though. Fond memories of playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot and even some Final Fantasy VII with mum though.

Rocket Edge
12-20-2013, 01:07 PM
My dad bought me a NES when I was 7 and still calls my PS3 the Nintendo. I think it's safe to say he's never played it before.

Hollycat
12-20-2013, 01:11 PM
My parents think video games are stupid and a waste of time. My dad spent all of yesterday playing solitaire.