PDA

View Full Version : What did you want to be when you grow up?

Scotty_ffgamer
12-19-2013, 03:11 AM
When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grow up? I know people's dreams change from when you are in elementary school to when you get older, but is there anyone who has the same dream now as you did when you were a kid?

As for me, most of my life was spent wanting to be an astronomer. From before I ever went to school until probably part way through high school, this is what I wanted to be (also, I was the only kid in my kindergarten class that knew what an astronomer was.) I've always had an obsession with space, and I was constantly checking out books about space from the library as a kid. Anytime I could get away with it, I would do all of my projects about the life cycle of stars, what black holes are, and other fun things such as this. I would even spend my free time in elementary school formulating hypotheses and drawing diagrams on the secrets of black holes.

I still am obsessed with space. Astronomy was my only for fun class I took in college, and one of my favorite moments was getting to go to an observatory with that class and look through a pretty powerful telescope. However, I've moved on to wanting to be an English teacher for an actual career.

Pumpkin
12-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Lots of things. Veterinarian, Interior Designer, Lawyer, Chef.

The oddest one was probably appraiser when I was 5ish.

Citizen Bleys
12-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Very, very old.

Elskidor
12-19-2013, 03:22 AM
A pink marker was the first thing I wanted to be and the later it was a lion, followed by a brave knight or super hero and then a writer. It gradually got more realistic.

Citizen Bleys
12-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Mine started out realistic: I'm 30 and still not grown up.

Livin' the dream, people. Livin' the dream.

Ghosteses
12-19-2013, 03:51 AM
i would not mind being a pianist when i grow up =D i guess when i was really young i wanted to be a bird >.>

yeah... THAT would work out xD

Shorty
12-19-2013, 04:01 AM
I've wanted to be a lot of things, but the first thing I wanted to be was an archaeologist thanks to Indiana Jones and Lara Croft.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-19-2013, 04:01 AM
You just have to believe in yourself. If you want to be a bird, a pink marker, or a blitzball when you grow up, then by gum you can!

Shiny
12-19-2013, 04:05 AM
A filmmaker and a philanthropist

Only I didn't know what giving things to people was called so I just called it "giver".

Ghosteses
12-19-2013, 04:05 AM
I've wanted to be a lot of things, but the first thing I wanted to be was an archaeologist thanks to Indiana Jones and Lara Croft.

I think that was the reason my aunt wanted to be a archaeologist to (gah that word) xD

Citizen Bleys
12-19-2013, 04:12 AM

Lara Croft existed when you were a kid?

Then you still are.

Christ, you're young.

Shorty
12-19-2013, 04:13 AM
I'm twenty-five!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-19-2013, 04:18 AM
I shuffled a few things around when I was younger. The standard answers crossed my mind like policeman, fireman, doctor, astronaut. Professional yo-yoer.

The only one that really sticks out is I wanted to be a pastor like my grandfather.

I'm non religious now, so :-/

Scotty_ffgamer
12-19-2013, 04:22 AM
Professional yo-yoer..... .... I love it. I'm pretty sure that was actually something I wanted to be for a short period in my life. I'm pretty sure I had a VHS tape that taught yo-yo tricks.

LocoColt04
12-19-2013, 04:23 AM
I wanted to be a veterinarian. Desperately. Like, genuinely, all the way up until I was 16. Then I started watching a lot of Animal Planet shows about vets and the things they have to deal with, and I bawled my eyes out like a small child. I couldn't handle the thought of it, and then when I had my own pets that we had to put down, I couldn't keep my composure in the slightest. That got ruled off the cart before going to college, fortunately.

escobert
12-19-2013, 04:26 AM
A officer in the army. Then once I became a stoner it was archeologist.

DMKA
12-19-2013, 04:26 AM
The Little Mermaid

Shauna
12-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I wanted to be a doctor. But, I didn't get the grades to do it in uni. Also when I got through my 4 years at uni and had the opportunity to perhaps apply for medicine I laughed my way down to the Job Centre. But yeah, my only goal in life for a long time was to be a doctor, and then my life crashed and burned. x}

Pike
12-19-2013, 10:33 AM
When I was about five I wanted to be a cardiologist. No, not just a doctor, a cardiologist in particular.

I also wanted to be a firefighter at the same time.

When I got older I decided that I wanted to make animated cartoons, which stuck with me for a few years until I realized that I couldn't draw. So I waffled a bit between filmmaking, which seemed like the second best option, and chemistry, which I've always loved. Finally I opted for the former, but about a year into the program I realized that I hated working with people and also didn't want to move to a big city. I should've switched majors but I didn't want to put myself in more debt. The result is that I have a really expensive degree in something I do not use. :monster:

Loony BoB
12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Motorcycle racer, then architect, then a Dad. Not gonna bother with the first two but I'm pretty sure I'll get around to the latter eventually. No rush, though.

Old Manus
12-19-2013, 11:04 AM
No blitzball answers? EoFF I'm...impressed.

I wanted to be a professional footballer, then my knees gave in. Then I wanted to be a professional cricketer, but I realised I wasn't good enough and became an IT consultant instead :( still shadow batting, imagining i'm hitting the winning runs at the oval

Citizen Bleys
12-19-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm twenty-five!

God does not exist.

Sephiroth
12-19-2013, 01:40 PM
A Blitzball.

And I still haven't given up.

Ayen
12-19-2013, 01:52 PM
When I was a kid I remember wanting to be all grown up in a suit and tie with a job, an acquired taste for coffee, the newspaper and watching the news with a wife and two kids. BORING!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-19-2013, 02:04 PM
I wanted to be a falconer and work in forestry preservation or for fish and wildlife. My dreams sprung from the first/second grade mind of mine after reading My Side of the Mountain.

And then I became a Marine and aircraft mechanic. Still will probably look into a forestry job after I get out of the military.

Minami
12-19-2013, 02:15 PM
I always wanted to be a double decker bus driver. Yeah i was a strange kid. I also wanted to play a big bass drum in a band. Then i went through a stage of wanting to be an actress and more recently i considered teaching. but now i'm concentrating on my writing as i want to be a published author

Ashi
12-19-2013, 07:55 PM
There were lots of things:
-Engineer
-Dentist
-Interior Designer
-Teacher
-Writer
-I also wanted to join the army at some point.
-An Adventurer (no idea what that entails right now)

But these were "decided" at a very young age. As I got a bit older I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

And I became none of those things!!

Spuuky
12-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Young again.

noxious.sunshine
12-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I wanted to bet a doctor for the longest. .. And take care of my parents.

Then I wanted to be a vet, then just a vet tech 'cuz screw 25 billion years in college and $8M in student loan debt...

Then I realized those things involve shit like -science- and -math-. & I'm good at neither of those.

So HELL to the no.

I still don't know what exactly it is I wanna do witih my life, but I'm know I'm definitely done working in restaurants. Actually that's probably a lie. I'll probably wind up working in one again in NYC 'cuz that's like all I know how to do. I hate being pigeonholed like that.

Word to the wise: Don't ever get sucked into the restaurant business.. You'll probably never get back out.

Shaibana
12-19-2013, 10:20 PM
i believe i wanted to work in/have a zoo.
i do work with animals :) atleast if i can find another job in that sector

Rantz
12-19-2013, 10:35 PM
An inventor, but I got terms mixed up and told everybody I wanted to be a professor, which amused people.

Hollycat
12-19-2013, 10:36 PM
I wanted to be a ninja. Still do.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Oh. How could I forget. Recently, in the last ten years or so, I have decided that I want to open up a sandwich shop and sell sandwiches. Because sandwiches are awesome. :kakapo:

Spooniest
12-19-2013, 10:44 PM
A rock and roll guitarist

Jiro
12-20-2013, 02:12 AM
I wanted to make games because duh vidya5eva. Then I wanted to write for them. Then I wanted to write about them. Success.

There were probably other things along the way; I enjoyed legal studies in school for instance, but never really wanted to be a lawyer. Being an author has been on my list for an age but that is fortuitously not exclusive with anything else (as my medical doctor aerospace engineer creative writing teacher can attest).

I'm sure most of us entertained the idea of being some kind of adventurer or hero or explorer at some point or another. I'm still pretty keen to be a space pirate.

noxious.sunshine
12-20-2013, 02:27 AM
My sister's gf says I should be a psychologist cuz I'm really good at analyzing people and tellin em wtf is up about themselves and what they need to do. xD .... And my sister's gf is a super fancy accountant/CPA thing and makes chuckton of money ...

Fuzakeru
12-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Country singer, interior designer, Air Force, princess, a dog, and a strawberry tree.

Agent Proto
12-20-2013, 04:18 PM
I wanted to be an animator, or cartoonist, or something involving animation.

Psychotic
12-20-2013, 04:47 PM
As a kid, an air force pilot, a footballer and a police officer. As a teen, a lawyer. As me, a manager or an accountant or a manager accountant :shobon: £££!

Calliope
12-20-2013, 05:00 PM
I have been tempted to go into: Paleontology, psychology, avian biology, veterinary medicine, animation, tattooing, painting, graphic design, music journalism and writing for Mad Magazine. I am lucky that I can embrace little snippets of these interests in my everyday life, but it would be nice to have an established career!

At this point in my life I am trying to emulate the career path of Jorge Luis Borges, minus the blindness and political turmoil.