PDA

View Full Version : An Important Issue.

Quindiana Jones
12-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I woke up this morning with one thought in my head, and it's been bugging me all day.

Right, so you know the firey fellow from Fantastic Four? When he goes all firey, his body is fire, right? Like, all of him turns to fire?

Fire requires oxygen to burn, but humans require oxygen to continue to function, so if his body is on fire then he most certainly is not respiring in any traditional sense. This is okay. This is the Miracle Exemption for this superhero.

My question is; can he then survive in oxygen-less areas? Would he burn in a vacuum?

Feel free to talk about other superhero science things. Let's all try to help each other out on these issues.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-19-2013, 01:21 PM
This is truly thought provoking question. Hmm.

Perhaps the entire action of his body burning/ becoming flame is him breathing. Instead of needing oxygen to breath, his body changes so he only needs it to burn until he flames out.

Shorty
12-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Where are these oxygen-less area?

Also, he's the Human Torch.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-19-2013, 05:12 PM
My first thought was the he can't.

Storm's ability to ignite himself is limited by the quantity of oxygen in his environment, and his personal flame has been extinguished by sufficient quantities of water, flame retardant foam, and vacuum environments. He can reignite instantly once oxygen is returned, with no ill effects.

Wikipedia seems to concur.

Mirage
12-19-2013, 06:25 PM
So can he burn underwater if he just tries really hard? You know, like those underwater plasma cutters?

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-19-2013, 10:21 PM
No no no. He always flames out in the water.

Hollycat
12-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Pretty sure he just becomes surrounded in fire.

My guess would be no, he couldn't survive in space.

Quindiana Jones
12-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Phew. Well, that's that sorted. Good job, guys! :up: