PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts AND Chrono

Elskidor
12-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Kingdom Heats is a beloved series, and there is no doubt about it. It even has the fans to back it up and the conversations that show that there is general want for that game to continue to make more, more, more.

The Chrono series has had nothing new in years, and both games are ranked higher than Kingdom Hearts by IGN, gamerankings and general RPGers. Most top 100's lists don't even put Kingdom Hearts anywhere near Chrono Trigger (Trigger, FFIV, FFVI, and FFVII are usually high up in there too ;) ) or Cross, so I ask what is the appeal? Although a lower ranked game and a lower fan base, why does Square continue to feed on Kingdom Hearts, but neglect the Chrono series? Heck, I like KH, but I am wondering why Chrono got kicked out. The general consensus is that people love Chrono...Chrono Trigger especially

Is the result of Chono being neglected because it was not as well received in other countries? Was Chrono not well received in Japan and KH was? I really don't know, but I find it odd that Chrono was dropped on his mute butt. Kingdom Hearts has not gotten much either in the last so many years, but Chrono has not even been hinted at, that I know of, for a new game or anything concerning those iconic fellors that help mold the RPG gaming industry.

Oh, and in case this question is answered rather quickly, let's discuss which you prefer and why. That covers that.

Sephiroth
12-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Was Chrono not well received in Japan and KH was?

Some years ago I have had a native-speaking Japanese friend that said many Japanese fans are not so much into Kingdom Hearts. However, considering how popular it is and there Final Mixes only being released there first there are always two kinds of fans.

maybee
12-20-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't know why Chrono is being so rejected by Square- Enix these days, they refuse to make a remake or another game, maybe it's because Cross didn't too so hot, so they don't want to touch it anymore.

Plus it's old and most kids under the age of 20, I doubt they've even heard of it unless they're a retro gaming fan or go into sites like IGN which praise Chrono Trigger.

Yet most older and younger players know who Sora, Kairi and Riku are.

Del Murder
12-20-2013, 02:39 PM
I think the Chrono series is being neglected because the people primarily responsible for it have left the company, whereas the creative team behind KH is still around. I also think KH has made them more money with the Disney tie-in.

I love KH but the Chrono games were some of the best games of all time. I'd love to see a new one but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Freya
12-20-2013, 06:31 PM
KH works and is more profitable because of the Disney Tie In. So it's easier to market and more people seem interested in it's continuation as a series.

As Del said, it's most likely the original Chrono devs are no longer with the company and it's a whole beast itself. KH is still oging while Chrono has stopped. If they tried to bring back Chrono they have to deal with all those super fans plus the previous devs. Now we all know SE likes to mutilate any brand of late with it's mobile apps and what-not but I think chrono has this barrier of good around it. They don't want to ruin a series. I hope so anyway.

Del Murder
12-20-2013, 08:08 PM
I think they'd be fine with ruining it if they think it could make them tons more cash than their other projects, but they don't think that...yet.

Botchmun
12-20-2013, 09:41 PM
The further Square Penis is from its older games the happier I'll be. Why break what doesn't need fixing and why mess with something that should be on the Wii U marketplace and rom sites?

Kingdom Hearts should be rated higher on review sites (despite review sites being salty old balls) and the Chrono games should be released again as downloads for console's with virtual marketplaces. The Kingdom Hearts games are interesting and inventive when they suck and incredibly enthralling and fun when they don't. Rate them 9/10! Give 'em a gold star, give 'em TWELVE! Also I have a theory that Chrono Trigger got kicked out for the same reason that we'll never see a sequel to mario RPG and why KH3 took a back seat to final corridor 13: the two towers. Because the sequel didn't make enough money and Square had no interest in refreshing all those games from the SNES that used the same engine. Because Square Enix cut out everything good about it some time during the early playstation era (if you catch my drift) and that hole festered into a demonic entity that likes reworking the battle system and eating the souls of the innocent.