PDA

View Full Version : Mario

Ayen
12-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Because a video game board isn't a video game board until it talked about the most influential game series of all time! Chances are gamers here have played at least one Mario game in their lifetime, and if you haven't then the chances are high that you at least know what it's all about. There are people who haven't even touched a game who knows what Mario is and who could instantly recognize him, mainly because the character himself is more recognizable than Disney's Mickey Mouse (I looked it up he is). Because when it comes down to it, Nintendo is the video game equivalent of Disney. A lot of us grew up with them and hate what it's become :colbert:

Super Mario Brothers on the NES was the first game I ever played ever It was my introduction into the magnificent world of gaming in which I would never escape from and never would want to escape. I was either three or four, pretty sure I was four because I remember the first memory I ever had and I was pretty confident I was four at the time, so I'll say four. My brother had the NES and got the Mario/Duck Hunt double cartridge that came out in 88 so I was able to play Mario through that. I don't remember much of my first time playing beyond the first two levels but it would be a game I would come back to years later on the SNES and get my ass beat.

Then I would come back a couple more years later when it was re-released on the Game Boy Color and through the groaning, the swearing, the hair pulling and the grinding of teeth I finally got to the final world, beat the last level, take out Bowser and rescued the smurfing princess that took eight worlds to get to! Why do you have eight different castles!? -throws Hope out a window-

Talk about Mario, your first experiences and/or favorite experiences with Mario. I have a lot more fond Mario memories I'm saving for later because otherwise this is going to be a very 'tl;dr' post and it's already stretching out to that length now. So...

Your turn.

Jinx
12-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Who?

Hollycat
12-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Is that some kind of pasta?
I think 3d mario games control poorly and 2d ones are just good as far as platformers go. I prefer spyro, crash and rayman

Ayen
12-21-2013, 04:58 PM
I think 3 mario games control poorly

Huh?

Hollycat
12-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I think 3d mario games control poorly

Huh?
oops. fixed

Ayen
12-21-2013, 05:10 PM

Huh?
oops. fixed

I figured but didn't want to assume. Any 3D game in particular? Because I played Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64 DS and I never had trouble with the controls. Unless you mean the newer DS games that came afterwards in which case I never played them.

Hollycat
12-21-2013, 05:12 PM

Huh?
oops. fixed

I figured but didn't want to assume. Any 3D game in particular? Because I played Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64 DS and I never had trouble with the controls. Unless you mean the newer DS games that came afterwards in which case I never played them.
I've only played 2 3d marios so Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64. Marios movement felt super awkward and weighty.

AssassinDX
12-21-2013, 05:20 PM
The first one I played was All Stars on the SNES, I think I either got it with the console or very soon afterwards. I had a lot of fun playing through 3 with friends, in fact to this day that's my favourite Mario experience.

I'm hoping Super Mario 3D World will dethrone that though, it looks fantastic and I bought it for my son as a Christmas present. Or birthday, the two are so close together I forget what I've wrapped for which occasion. :P

Jinx
12-21-2013, 05:27 PM
I didn't have any problem with Mario 64 3D. Maybe I'm just really used to the game in general.

Ayen
12-21-2013, 05:28 PM
I've only played 2 3d marios so Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64. Marios movement felt super awkward and weighty.

He is awkward and weighty.

The first one I played was All Stars on the SNES, I think I either got it with the console or very soon afterwards. I had a lot of fun playing through 3 with friends, in fact to this day that's my favourite Mario experience.

I love All Stars. Being able to cycle through a remastered edition of Super Mario Bros and the Lost Levels alongside 2 and 3 were awesome. It was my first time getting to play Super Mario Bros 3 as well. 2 is still my favorite among them, though. Being able to choose between Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach was a treat and I think I spent the most time playing that one out of all the other classics.

Botchmun
12-21-2013, 10:59 PM

I Hope She Made Lotsa Spaghetti - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVr34QCF_c)

Hollycat
12-21-2013, 11:02 PM

fiVr34QCF_c
You just put the bit at the end of the URL in between the tags.
fiVr34QCF_c

maybee
12-22-2013, 03:00 AM
I don't really like the Mario games all that much to be honest and fail to understand what the whole big deal is.

I grew up with Sonic, Spyro, Crash and Commando Keen and Mario was the "enemy " but I grew up, got a N64/SNES and with a open-mind gave alot of SNES games and N64 games a try, and I ended up loving Zelda, Chrono, FF 6 and Donkey Kong.

Mario however ? Nope.

Mario Kart N64 is fun though, though not as good as CTR on the PlayStation, though it's fun and I hope to get the latest one on the Wii- U soon.

* gets beaten up by a horde of Mario fans * ;___;

Ayen
12-22-2013, 03:40 AM
* gets beaten up by a horde of Mario fans * ;___;

-stands over you, kneels down and grabs you by the collar- But I didn't have to take it easy on you. A mushroom here, a fireflower there. I want you to remember that. In your most private of moments I want you to remember, my gloved hand at your throat, I want you to remember the one Italian plumber who beat you!

Seriously though, that's cool. I never really got into either platform to the point where I saw the other as the enemy. I just played Mario games more than Sonic.

Elskidor
12-22-2013, 03:42 AM
Yup, Mario was my first. Dirty plumber..I was only 5..or maybe 6. I played 1,2 and 3 for NES and Super Mario World SNES, Mario RPG and Mario Kart SNES and later Mario Kart on the Wii. I think that's the extent of my Mario gaming, so I suppose I grew out of those games during the SNES era, but I've always liked Mario Kart.

Spooniest
12-22-2013, 03:42 AM
It's A me!

Mario!

I remember SMB Advance was irritating because every time I picked up a mushroom, Mario would announce: "Just Wat I needed!"

I guess you're just what I needed (just what I needed)

Ayen
12-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Mario always made everything more exciting for me as a kid, even golf and tennis which are boring sports by design. Seriously, there's a Mario Golf and Mario Tennis and both games were excellent.

Botchmun
12-22-2013, 04:14 AM

fiVr34QCF_c
You just put the bit at the end of the URL in between the tags.
fiVr34QCF_c

I have been shown who is the boss.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-22-2013, 05:11 AM
I miss playing Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64. I used to go over to a friend's house and play that (and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater) pretty frequently one summer. It was nice.

Mario is a pretty cool dude. I've honestly enjoyed what I've played of all of the Mario games, even Super Mario Sunshine. Granted, I only played that one for an hour or so, but it seemed pretty fun.

maybee
12-22-2013, 05:24 AM
I just watched a clip of the newest Wii- U Mario and it looks pretty good.

Might be biased because of Cats though.

Seriously ? Mario, Luigi, Peach etc all running around as Cats ? Cutest thing ever. :jess:

Pumpkin
12-22-2013, 05:29 AM
I've played some Mario, but not a whole bunch. I'm not too good at it except for one that I played, but I can't remember which one it was. I do remember that Mario can become a flying raccoon in it though.

My boyfriend makes fun of me for the way I say Mario ;_;

Skyblade
12-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Mario Bros. 3 was my first console game, though I was playing games years before I got an NES and that game (child of the P.C. here).

That said, the only "standard" Mario game that I still remember fondly is Super Mario World (which I rarely got to play until emulators and the GBA port came out, since I never owned an SNES, much to my dismay). But I love that game. It has a brilliant set of gameplay elements, and so much extra stuff to do. I still sometimes go back and explore that world. Blue Yoshi rocks (as does the cape). I never liked the Fire Flower, I was always one for exploration based abilities. My copy for the GBA has all three files filled: one with a perfect Mario run, one with a perfect Luigi run, and one with a perfect alternating run (except for the last zone, which I leave open so I can see the cutscenes for the redone world and Dragon Coin completion whenever I want).

Apart from that, I love Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Super Mario RPG, and I wish those two would get a 3DS rerelease.

Ayen
12-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I miss playing Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64. I used to go over to a friend's house and play that (and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater) pretty frequently one summer. It was nice.

Mario is a pretty cool dude. I've honestly enjoyed what I've played of all of the Mario games, even Super Mario Sunshine. Granted, I only played that one for an hour or so, but it seemed pretty fun.

I played Super Mario Sunshine for hours. Got pretty far into it before I stopped playing too.

Del Murder
12-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Mario Brothers on the NES was the first game I ever played ever It was my introduction into the magnificent world of gaming in which I would never escape from and never would want to escape. I was either three or four, pretty sure I was four because I remember the first memory I ever had and I was pretty confident I was four at the time, so I'll say four. My brother had the NES and got the Mario/Duck Hunt double cartridge that came out in 88 so I was able to play Mario through that. I don't remember much of my first time playing beyond the first two levels but it would be a game I would come back to years later on the SNES and get my ass beat.
Pretty much same here, but I was a little bit older. :up:

I love the Mario games and I've played them all except the very new ones. It's one of the reasons I still buy Nintendo consoles.

Depression Moon
12-23-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm saying it. Galaxy is the best Mario game ever!

Del Murder
12-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Galaxy 2 was better, but they both were awesome! :bigsmile:

Ayen
12-23-2013, 03:12 PM
I lack a Wii so can't play those.

Without a Wii I'm not even a real man. -bows head in shame-

Depression Moon
12-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Galaxy 2 was better, but they both were awesome! :bigsmile:

Never had the chance to play Galaxy 2 unfortunately. One of these days though I'll get a Wii and play it.

Pike
12-23-2013, 09:32 PM
My first Mario game was Donkey Kong - the original Donkey Kong. Of course, back then he wasn't Mario, he was "Jumpman" (not to be confused with another game called Jumpman) and he was a carpenter rather than a plumber.

Later I played SMB 1, 2, and 3 (as well as "Lost Levels"), Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG (:love:) and Mario Kart 64. Other than later stints with Superstar Saga and New SMB, that was about the extent of my Mario playing. Super Mario 64 was I'm sure great but I played the Banjo-Kazooie games first and going back to SM64 after that seemed like a bit of a step backwards so I could never really get into it.

I've heard the Galaxy games are great but I haven't owned a Nintendo console since GameCube (not counting handhelds) so I haven't played those either.

To this day I think that SMB 3 and SMW are among the finest platformers of all time, and if you count Yoshi's Island as a Mario game I think that may possibly be the finest platformer of all time.

Mario Golf

This game was fan-friggin'-tastic.

Del Murder
12-23-2013, 09:46 PM
I agree Yoshi's Island is probably the best 2D platformer of all time. It was the SNES at its best.

Depression Moon
12-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Yoshi's Island is my shit too. Best out of the SNES. Rayman Origins is also a great 2D platformer.

Skyblade
12-24-2013, 12:51 AM
To this day I think that SMB 3 and SMW are among the finest platformers of all time, and if you count Yoshi's Island as a Mario game I think that may possibly be the finest platformer of all time.

The full name is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. I think it counts.