PDA

View Full Version : When do you plan on going "Next Gen?"

AssassinDX
12-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Or current gen as it is now. Despite opinion I'm including the Wii U in this.

Me, I should get a decent bonus from work next May, so that's probably when I'll buy a PS4. I'm not so eager for an Xbox one, that'll probably come towards the end of the year or maybe early 2015. I already own a Wii U.

Ayen
12-21-2013, 06:04 PM
When the price tag drop which isn't going to be for a while now and even then it depends on the games available on the PS4. My main run through with the current gen has all been on the Xbox 360 with games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, Darksiders and F.E.A.R with Dragon Age, Spelunky and Game Dev Tycoon on the PC if you count the last two. With any luck I may be getting a PS3 this Christmas and some exclusives I wanted to play since 2008.

Pike
12-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I'll probably get a PS4 at some point a few years down the road, but as I do 99% of my gaming on the PC it is far from a priority for me.

(The other 1% is Pokemon on the 3DS.)

Elskidor
12-21-2013, 06:19 PM
No rush here. I'll wait until the price drops or a game that comes out that demands buying. Probably when FFXV comes out or if a mmo I want to play is offered for the PS4, because that would seem like a cheaper investment than a newer gaming computer anyhow.

Botchmun
12-21-2013, 10:17 PM
2QnawLqlZls

PC master race reporting in, seeing how the console serfs are doing toiling in the mud. I know a good few people who go crazy over next gen consoles, so when they inevitably drop a thousand dollars on a gaming experience that'll last roughly two days tops I'll swing by their place to play their new not-the-ouya. I mean the only two games I'd want to play are on the PS 4, and a continuation of kingdom hearts and a bastardization of a vastly superior game from the 80s aren't going to be the metaphorical first couple of rocks to get me hooked and begging for more.

Hollycat
12-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Due to its specs, I don't consider WiiU current gen. It is technically, but since it is barely stronger than an XBOX 360 and can barely run ports of PS3 multiplats, it's hard to compare it to xbox 1 or PS4.

Niale
12-22-2013, 09:12 AM
I have no plans, the only game i considered getting was "Star Wars: Battlefront" on Xbox One, but one game isn't enough for me to buy a new console.
Nah, i think i just stick with PS1 and Xbox 360.
I'll wait :) But if there are games that you people like on these consoles, then have fun i say :)

Jessweeee♪
12-22-2013, 09:30 AM
When

1. There's some games I wanna play
2. I can afford it
3. They've been out long enough that I can be properly informed of any common hardware malfunctions

Psychotic
12-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm not in any hurry. Maybe 2014, maybe 2015.

Aulayna
12-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Within the next year or two, there's still no imminent titles that scream out as "must haves" right now.

Del Murder
12-22-2013, 06:05 PM
I'll likely get a PS4 next year assuming I'll have time for games when the babies come! :eek:

Hollycat
12-22-2013, 06:18 PM
I'll likely get a PS4 next year assuming I'll have time for games when the babies come! :eek:

Is this the official announcement of the next gen children?

Del Murder
12-22-2013, 06:27 PM
We've mentioned it in other threads. :jess:

Depression Moon
12-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Hopping from gen to gen is sort of burning me out. I was really excited when the PS3 was coming out, but this time around I'm just like meh. The expensive prices have something to do with it and just the cycle itself I suppose. I'm thinking about going PC, but even then I'd have to spend money for a new computer and I also have a ton of games I still want to play on the Atari 2600, NES, SNES, (Just a couple on the N64) GBA, PS1, PS2, Xbox 360, the Wii, DS, PSP and PS3.

There are games that peak my interest for next gen like Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XV, Killer Instinct, and Metal Gear Solid 5.

I really don't know what I'm going to do yet, but if I happen to come to some money, best believe I'm getting all three and a 2DS.

Jiro
12-23-2013, 02:49 AM
When I can afford it is the straight answer. Sooner rather than later if I'm going to have any real ability to keep getting work now that we're in a shiny new generation.

The Captain
12-30-2013, 05:40 PM
I think since the first Playstation came out I've always been a few years behind. I am still in the process of getting a PS3 and probably will by the summertime.

Price is a major factor but I also like to give a new generation system some time to let the flaws and kinks get discovered and corrected.

Take care all.

escobert
12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I'll get a PS4 in a few years after they're around $200. otherwise I ain't wasting my money on that crap.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
I'll get a PS4 sometime within the next 6 months. Probably whenever the first price drop happens, down to idkwhat, 350 bucks? Or 300. Or 350 INCLUDING THIS GAME LOL.

Mahad
12-31-2013, 05:49 AM
I do about 99% of my gaming, when I game, in DS/PSP, and most of it tends to be Dissidia; no, I have not even upgraded to the current-gen handheld consoles.

I don't think I'll buy a console this generation. I may try pc gaming, but that's looking like a long shot too. I may stick with just playing Dissidia for the next year or so unless something truly amazing that I feel I must absolutely play comes along.

Pumpkin
12-31-2013, 05:52 AM
I would like to get it in a year or two but that depends on getting a job and so on.

Mercen-X
01-07-2014, 01:07 AM
I just went retro! I've always owned a Sega, but now I've recently got a new NES up and running. I recently picked up a Wii because my mom wants me to have one so she can play Mii games... apparently, those don't come preloaded on the console though... altogether, I own a Genesis, an NES (off the internet), a 64 (somewhere... no games though), a Wii (on discount), a PSP (on discount), a GBA, a DS (on discount), a second PlayStation (first one broke), a PS2 (broken), a PS2 slim, and an XBOX (secondhand... turns on when I plug it in, doesn't turn off, randomly resets).

TrollHunter
01-07-2014, 02:28 AM
Maybe in a couple years when the price tag drops, the bugs are worked out, and the consoles actually have some frickin' games on them.

Shaibana
01-07-2014, 02:37 PM
ill problably get it somewhere this year or in the next.
at the moment i dont have the money for it, first i have to find a job.
but for now im still satisfied with the ps3, there are enough games still comming for the ps3.

ill get a ps4 when im really desperate for the games :P

edczxcvbnm
01-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I am going all PC Master Race this time. If I do go "next gen" then I will make the leap when it becomes last gen :/

Dat Matt
01-07-2014, 09:36 PM
"I have all the consoles" = 0% of votes

As it should be. No one should have enough money to dish out on all of the next gen consoles. I have now got a Wii U and will likely get a PS4. I can forsee all the lame anime nonsense I like being more popular there than on the Xbone.

starlet
01-07-2014, 10:41 PM
I don't know if ill ever be able to dump money into a new console, but If I do I want to build a gaming computer first, then a PS4, then maaaaaybe a Wii U. but we'll see, I don't typically have time for games anyway.

Skyblade
01-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Due to its specs, I don't consider WiiU current gen. It is technically, but since it is barely stronger than an XBOX 360 and can barely run ports of PS3 multiplats, it's hard to compare it to xbox 1 or PS4.

Specs are not all there is to a system, though. How the system changes the game experience is far more important. Going from an 8-bit to a 16-bit system was a huge upgrade because of what it let game designers do, not just because of the numbers of the hardware.

I actually think the WiiU is great for what it brought to consoles. The Dual-Screen feature of the Nintendo DS was originally derided as just a gimmick, but has been an incredible feature, especially in RPGs, my genre of choice. And the WiiU does even better with it thanks to a few extra features, though those are still being refined and brought to their full potential.

What's more, the ability to play high-def, console quality games on the game pad by switching the main screen over is great. Sure, in another five years (ten tops) the new DS could do that anyway, but it's great to have it early. The Vita may have a similar feature for some games, but it still only has like three games that are actually worth playing (and they're all handheld only until FFX-HD comes out). I have gotten so much use out of the game pad since I can't really use my TV for more than an hour at a time right now.

Also, in addition to being better than a 360, it's also easier to use the higher specs on it, from everything I've heard. Internal architecture and program developing systems are very important on how much you can get out of a system. If you can't use it to its full potential (something game devs mentioned having trouble with for both the XBox 360 and the PS3), the numbers are meaningless.

Specs are great, but I'm looking for the overall gaming experience when I look to the next gen. Graphics and processing is hitting an exponential curve limit anyway. Look to the games, my friend. There are more games either out, or coming out, for the WiiU that I want to play than for both the other next-gen consoles combined. Heck, the PS3 still has more upcoming good releases than the PS4 does.

I've been a Wii and PS3 owner for a long time (and I was eventually given an XBox 360, though I essentially never use it). And with my use of the WiiU since Christmas. I feel quite comfortable with it as a next-gen experience over both of those systems. It's specs might not be up as high as the PS4 (which I look forward to getting as soon as I can safely afford it, probably three months or so), but it still has plenty to offer as a next-gen experience.

Bolivar
01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
The problem with the Wii U is that someone at Nintendo just didn't do their research, the specs weren't high enough to run high settings for the PC games that were coming out at the time, much less in the coming generation. Additionally, the game pad is an unnecessarily bundled peripheral driving up the price, now that Sony and Microsoft have figured out how to let you do the same thing with devices you already own. And I don't know about the Wii U being more accessible to develop on since they still have the inferior multi platform versions and have yet to release anything remotely near the graphical level of Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, etc.

Also, Vita's remote play is a native feature that works with all PS4 games out of the box. It's an underrated handheld; I initially snubbed it and bought a 3DS instead but after owning it for less than a month, my library is three or four times the size of my 3DS, much more diverse and refreshing, and between my bundle and PS+ I've yet to spend a dollar on a single title.

Skyblade
01-13-2014, 01:32 PM
The problem with the Wii U is that someone at Nintendo just didn't do their research, the specs weren't high enough to run high settings for the PC games that were coming out at the time, much less in the coming generation.

Except that, again, Nintendo is not focused on specs at the exclusion of all else. Nor can I ever recall them holding that stance, except possibly during the SNES era, when the huge difference in capability allowed for such extreme innovation in gaming.

Nintendo put plenty into its new console. It isn't the epitome of cutting edge hardware, but it runs games in High-Definition, and with constant and smooth frame rates. That's all I want from it, to be honest.

Additionally, the game pad is an unnecessarily bundled peripheral driving up the price, now that Sony and Microsoft have figured out how to let you do the same thing with devices you already own.

What Microsoft device do I already own that could serve as either a secondary information screen or a handheld play device?

And I don't know about the Wii U being more accessible to develop on since they still have the inferior multi platform versions and have yet to release anything remotely near the graphical level of Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, etc.

I haven't experimented a ton with the Wii U as yet, so my talk here is going to come from the Wii itself.

I acknowledge that it has inferior ports. It also has inferior hardware, and I never tried to deny that. However, the inferiority lies primarily in graphics, which does not ruin the quality of the game. Further, taken a step down to the Wii U's graphical capability is still going to leave the game at an impressive graphical level. I don't need my games to push the edge every single moment.

Also, Vita's remote play is a native feature that works with all PS4 games out of the box. It's an underrated handheld; I initially snubbed it and bought a 3DS instead but after owning it for less than a month, my library is three or four times the size of my 3DS, much more diverse and refreshing, and between my bundle and PS+ I've yet to spend a dollar on a single title.

Good to know, I was only aware of PS3 cross-play. I look forward to taking advantage of the PS4 native play once I get the system.

I'm not saying that the Wii U is perfect, or that it is the best system out. I am saying, however, that it fulfills the requirements I have always looked for in being a "next gen" system.

Mirage
01-13-2014, 01:48 PM
"I have all the consoles" = 0% of votes

As it should be. No one should have enough money to dish out on all of the next gen consoles. I have now got a Wii U and will likely get a PS4. I can forsee all the lame anime nonsense I like being more popular there than on the Xbone.

Why? It costs less than it did to get all of previous gen's consoles.

Loony BoB
01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
I intend on getting a PS4 in 2014. I just don't know when - could be next month, could be December.

Bubba
01-13-2014, 02:07 PM
I'll be doing the same as most sensible people and waiting till the price drops. I'll definitely be purchasing a PS4 though. I can guarantee it won't be before the following games are released...

- Uncharted 4
- Final Fantasy XV
- Metal Gear Solid 5

Once those bad boys arrive I'll be all over it.

Cloudane
01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
I have a Wii U but I'm going to be all rebellious and not class that as next gen.

Went for "some time in the next 5 years" but it could be within a year depending on games (e.g. FFXV but I doubt that as a release date would've been announced by now).

I wasn't in a huge hurry with the PS3 either especially since it was so pricy at first and didn't get it until the slim model. I was early-ish with the 360 and regretted it (it's noisy). I'll get one, but it'll be when the problems have been ironed out and there are plenty of games.

tony12
01-15-2014, 02:24 AM
Since the stories are all I care about in games anylonger and view any type of gameplay as just a nuisance I don't think I will be buying any more gaming systems.

If a game comes out with a really good story I'll probably just watch a playthrough on youtube. No point in paying all that money for a new console when I don't even want to actually play the games anymore.

Mirage
01-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah, it sounds like games aren't your thing anymore if that's the case :p. Personally, a story is just icing on the cake.

Skyblade
01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Story is good, but an immersive world is better. Gameplay helps aid immersion.

tony12
01-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Yeah, it sounds like games aren't your thing anymore if that's the case :p. Personally, a story is just icing on the cake.

Yeah even when I was really into gaming I still put a much higher emphasis on story than the gameplay. I was just a lot more willing to go through the gameplay at that time.

Trying to remember back I believe the last game that I really enjoyed that still required a good amount of gameplay was the third xenosaga game. I got final fantasy 12 and never finished it because I just didn't want to deal with the gameplay. And the same for final fantasy 13.

The only game on the ps3 that I still really do enjoy playing (even though I hardly play it anymore) is Oblivion. And that is because I have the combat level set pretty low and I can just concentrate on exploration and just take a couple swipes at an enemy and he'll be dead.