PDA

View Full Version : Why does YouTube breed stupidity

Niale
12-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Game Theory: Why Final Fantasy is Anti-Religion - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhiWw3pzQk)
What's next, Master Chief is a rebel? :twak:

Elskidor
12-21-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm unsure of the point you are making here.

Niale
12-21-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm unsure of the point you are making here.

Just asking general opinion on YouTube.
Sorry if i was a little unclear ^^

Ayen
12-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I thought this was going to be about YouTube comments. Final Fantasy being anti-religion is nothing new.

Niale
12-21-2013, 07:40 PM
I thought this was going to be about YouTube comments. Final Fantasy being anti-religion is nothing new.

Well i don't pay that much attention to that sorta details, but my main point is, even if it was, that's not why i bought the game in the first place :)
You see, its just that everytime i am browsing a Final Fantasy video on YouTube, then this video breeds in the side bar, and wants the user to "Click it" kinda like an ad that you don't want, but its still just hanging around there.

Its usually the kind of, "please go away and dont bother me" type of content. I don't know if all share this view though, but it keeps recommending this in almost every Final Fantasy video i watch, i guess its bad apples i guess. :holmes:

Ayen
12-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Well i don't pay that much attention to that sorta details, but my main point is, even if it was, that's not why i bought the game in the first place :)
You see, its just that everytime i am browsing a Final Fantasy video on YouTube, then this video breeds in the side bar, and wants the user to "Click it" kinda like an ad that you don't want, but its still just hanging around there.

Its usually the kind of, "please go away and dont bother me" type of content. I don't know if all share this view though, but it keeps recommending this in almost every Final Fantasy video i watch, i guess its bad apples i guess. :holmes:

Did you watch the video? They're not really saying they're for or against these themes, it's just highlighting the use of religious references, how they're used and then goes into an overview of Japanese history on religion to explain where these references stems from. It's actually a pretty good video and I came out of it learning more about Japanese culture... and that's there a Final Fantasy game on the Game Boy...

I don't know what you can do to get the recommended videos changed, if anything.

Niale
12-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Did you watch the video? They're not really saying they're for or against these themes, it's just highlighting the use of religious references, how they're used and then goes into an overview of Japanese history on religion to explain where these references stems from. It's actually a pretty good video and I came out of it learning more about Japanese culture... and that's there a Final Fantasy game on the Game Boy...

I don't know what you can do to get the recommended videos changed, if anything.

Just as interesting as conspiracy theories.
I don't care if they are for or against religion, the point is, its a game, its ment to be fun.
Its like i watch a action filled movie, and missed the point of why i watched it.
And there is wiki if one wished to know about religion in a country.
I don't need that mixed with a game. See now i am going to think about the wrong reason i play the game, instead of story, gameplay, fun and all that stuff.
Of course you can like whatever you want though. It wouldn't be a problem if this video didn't show as a recommendation everytime, then i would simply ignore it, and then the problem would be solved ;) :penciltrick:

Edit: Unfortunately, yes i did watch the video. But i am using the "shaking the memory with braincleaner to get the bugs out "= Activate" :roll:

Elskidor
12-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I just watched it too. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all, although it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. The best way to change recommended videos is by watching different ones. I was watching some Final Fantasy Youtube videos for awhile, and in the corner it always told me to watch some guys countdown of the top 10 sexiest Final Fantasy women, and I figured it was because I had watched a few other people's top ten list.

Ayen
12-21-2013, 08:35 PM
I guess I just don't understand why it would affect your view of the games negatively unless you're religious yourself. It's just an observation and a history lesson.

Niale
12-21-2013, 08:35 PM
I just watched it too. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all, although it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. The best way to change recommended videos is by watching different ones. I was watching some Final Fantasy Youtube videos for awhile, and in the corner it always told me to watch some guys countdown of the top 10 sexiest Final Fantasy women, and I figured it was because I had watched a few other people's top ten list.

Hmm, i guess i'm the only one then :) ^^

That has never been showed on my list before,
What a strange place :)
Well, that is not very uncommon either way, people on the internet has this discussion on what character they like. Also happens in series and other entertainment value that people enjoy, so i can ignore that easily :P

Niale
12-21-2013, 08:37 PM
I guess I just don't understand why it would affect your view of the games negatively unless you're religious yourself. It's just an observation and a history lesson.

Not at all. :)
History, haha, sorry that was a little funny :)
No offense, i respect your opinion though.

You should see this, accurate history, just for lulz :D
NES - Completely Accurate Gaming History - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_D-CN_ECNk)

Ayen
12-21-2013, 08:41 PM

NES - Completely Accurate Gaming History - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_D-CN_ECNk)

It wasn't meant to be funny, I was talking about the part of the video that covered Christianity banishment in Japan and how they follow a mixed of Shinto and Buddhism.

Niale
12-21-2013, 08:43 PM

It wasn't meant to be funny, I was talking about the part of the video that covered Christianity banishment in Japan and how they follow a mixed of Shinto and Buddhism.

Not mix it in the game (main issue) :).
But if it was in school and had it as a history lesson, then yeah i would love to know more.

Ayen
12-21-2013, 08:51 PM

But if it was in school and had it as a history lesson, then yeah i would love to know more.

They aren't mixing it in the game, they're delving into the background of another culture and where these references that are already in the game came from. There is no 'issue' creators in mediums take things from their life and it influence their works and if they were raised to think so much focus shouldn't be place on one major religion then it makes sense that that could work its way into the fiction they're creating. Every writer has been influenced by their life and the culture they were brought up in.

Niale
12-21-2013, 08:58 PM

They aren't mixing it in the game, they're delving into the background of another culture and where these references that are already in the game came from. There is no 'issue' creators in mediums take things from their life and it influence their works and if they were raised to think so much focus shouldn't be place on one major religion then it makes sense that that could work its way into the fiction they're creating. Every writer has been influenced by their life and the culture they were brought up in.

Sure, that is true, but its not like the game is preaching it, it just wants the person to have a blast, if it were then i would say ok.
But since thats not the main point of Final Fantasy, then no.
The only thing that almost works is "Final Fantasy Tactics", but even that doesn't has it as main focus, its the game experience itself that steals the show.

You don't play Zelda because of The Goddesses, you play it because you are a hero to save the world, you think it is fun to visit places and thats the main point in the game.

YouTube is Stupid - The Something Awful Forums (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2933765)
Next time, "Mario Symbolism". See, i can make ideas too ;)

Ayen
12-21-2013, 09:05 PM
It isn't saying that's the main point of the game or anything of the kind, that's why they're called references. You're making a counter-argument to an argument no one made.

Niale
12-21-2013, 09:09 PM
It isn't saying that's the main point of the game or anything of the kind, that's why they're called references. You're making a counter-argument to an argument no one made.

Title: "Why Final Fantasy is Anti-Religion"
Naah, of course not :P
But they seem to give false premise then, i think attention is the correct title :)
Maybe write, symbolism, there ;)
Misleading i say :)

Edit: My title "Why Internet is Anti-Abortion", lol :P

KentaRawr!
12-21-2013, 09:27 PM
I've watched a few of the Game Theorists' videos that I've really enjoyed, but I do feel like some of the connections they made here were a bit stretched, and I didn't like that they used Final Fantasy Legend as an example since that's actually part of the SaGa series. Their video about Chrono Trigger being a retelling of the Bible wasn't the best, either.

They aren't saying that the games themselves are bad, though. The videos posted on that channel are basically just fan theories, hence the title "Game Theory." They're food for thought and not much else, so try not to get too ruffled by it. :p

I thought this thread was going to be about youtube comments! They're the worst. Blech.

Niale
12-21-2013, 09:35 PM
I've watched a few of the Game Theorists' videos that I've really enjoyed, but I do feel like some of the connections they made here were a bit stretched, and I didn't like that they used Final Fantasy Legend as an example since that's actually part of the SaGa series. Their video about Chrono Trigger being a retelling of the Bible wasn't the best, either.

They aren't saying that the games themselves are bad, though. The videos posted on that channel are basically just fan theories, hence the title "Game Theory." They're food for thought and not much else, so try not to get too ruffled by it. :p

I thought this thread was going to be about youtube comments! They're the worst. Blech.

I agree, its like "come on, geez" type of content for me.
I am not ruffled though, just a little baffled :)
But i agree with what you said here :)
:ty:
Edit: As for the comments, i can ignore, i mean i dont read much of what the comments on YouTube say, i go to YouTube sometimes when i have to search for something that i need or other stuff. A friend of mine don't like YouTube at all, so he is basically immune http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/nod.gif
Not meaning to offend YouTube users of course ^^

Botchmun
12-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Recommended videos are based off of videos previously watched on by a specific user or IP. It's not that it breeds stupidity so much as it reflects it. Also youtube comments are slowly turning into twitter posts, which somehow makes them infinitely worse.

Ghosteses
12-21-2013, 10:27 PM
this is probably a clone post of something someone already said but i found the video interesting =D i dare say Game Theorists is one of the best channels on Youtube in my opinion.

I think it is interesting. I am Catholic and I personally took no offense to it. Catholics get bashed all the time but I thought being shown the japanese take on western religions from the viewpoint of their culture in games like FF is interesting. In fact it seems like people from places around Japan show a certain mysterious interest in western religion like I know a lot of people do with Buddhism and others. I find those religions fascinating =D

maybe you need a youtube account to see random video links but it never bothers me :x

starlet
12-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Game Theory: Why Final Fantasy is Anti-Religion - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhiWw3pzQk)

But it's just a theory... A GAME THEORY :kakapo:

I actually like Game theory, they bring up some really interesting points to make you think.

I agree on chrono and the bible story. For one, it's all kind of out of order and 2, the whole Crono getting a life spell means he's jesus is a stretch. Actually I never questioned it, I just figured he sort of shocked other teammates back to life. And Schala has blue hair not red!

Niale
12-22-2013, 12:32 AM

But it's just a theory... A GAME THEORY :kakapo:

I actually like Game theory, they bring up some really interesting points to make you think.

I agree on chrono and the bible story. For one, it's all kind of out of order and 2, the whole Crono getting a life spell means he's jesus is a stretch. Actually I never questioned it, I just figured he sort of shocked other teammates back to life. And Schala has blue hair not red!

You'll learn more about life by looking at a cat than anything by the "Game failures" :P.
I'm just being blunt, it's really awful.

Ghosteses
12-22-2013, 02:46 AM
so basically you just do not like the game theorists then? it is the impression i am getting. if you think the show should be taken seriously you are watching it for the wrong reason. it is all humour and sarcasm and a lot of research obviously goes into making them unlike a lot of shows on youtube.

i mean if you do not like them fine. but it is just a fun theory for entertainment. they hardly fail as a fact and it seems like a harsh opinion :x

maybee
12-22-2013, 02:51 AM
The thing is though, it's just a theory, so you don't have to believe it/ take it in if you don't want to. Mat doesn't want to force you to believe in his theories, he just wants to create interesting video game theories that could be canon.

Like it was actually Cloud that killed Aeris, Sephiroth only paralyzed her, but Cloud by drowning her, killed her.

Or Link is dead during Majora's Mask

Or even the theory that Mario is a sociopath.

Ayen
12-22-2013, 03:51 AM
Like it was actually Cloud that killed Aeris, Sephiroth only paralyzed her, but Cloud by drowning her, killed her.

I heard that one before. It always gets a laugh out of me.

Jiro
12-22-2013, 03:53 AM
I'm a big fan of Game Theory so let me get that bias out of the way to begin with.

Narratives that have absolutely no relevance to the real world are both impossible and shit. If you are not reflecting on the themes present within the story then you are missing out.I mean, you're more than welcome to just enjoy things for enjoyment's sake, but actively disliking the learning aspect of it is really quite sad.

Final Fantasy is not the only Japanese gaming franchise to dress up religion as an evil organisation. It's been a while since I watched that particular Game Theory episode but Grandia and Breath of Fire are two very obvious examples of the Church being the bad guy. And knowing why this is prevalent in Japanese games requires understanding of the culture in Japan and knowing this is hardly a bad thing. Like, really now.

Game Theory attempts to be outlandish in its assertions. Because looking for hidden truth and meaning is fun. That's what people who are passionate about games seem to enjoy. Not everyone, clearly, but I mean... I just don't understand why you can just hate and write off game theory based on things like the fact you don't want to learn while playing a game.

Elskidor
12-22-2013, 04:15 AM
Final Fantasy is not the only Japanese gaming franchise to dress up religion as an evil organisation. It's been a while since I watched that particular Game Theory episode but Grandia and Breath of Fire are two very obvious examples of the Church being the bad guy.

Yeah, I was going to mention that the OP probably shouldn't play Breath of Fire II. It's one of my favorite rpgs of all time, but the church is obviously evil feeding power via worship to their god who is really the great big bad evil of their age. I found it incredibly brave that they did what they did with the story line, and it actually made me like the game even more. I couldn't get into the later Breath of Fire games so I'm not sure if they followed that theme, but I've noticed 3 and 4 are more popular than BoF2 so I've always wondered if the story (and terrible translation) bothered audiences.

Niale
12-22-2013, 08:46 AM
The thing is though, it's just a theory, so you don't have to believe it/ take it in if you don't want to. Mat doesn't want to force you to believe in his theories, he just wants to create interesting video game theories that could be canon.

Or Link is dead during Majora's Mask

Or even the theory that Mario is a sociopath.

Or that Adolf Hitler was a good guy?
Or that Mario is a woman?
Or that Yemen is where Yoshis live?
Or that Mongolia is actually in America?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSbkeJ99dms

Merry christmas.

Ghosteses
12-22-2013, 10:59 PM
I guess the bottom line is you do not understand the playful humour for whatever reason. obviously the show is not for you.

Jiro
12-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Or that Mario is a woman?
Or that Yemen is where Yoshis live?
Or that Mongolia is actually in America?

Are these actual videos you're quoting? Because I don't recall any of those. And fyi while Hitler was a scumbag, it's impossible to deny that he did amazing things for Germany prior to committing terrible atrocities.

In a way I'm envious of your ability -- and apparent need -- to suspend disbelief. Being able to believe that some stories exist in a vacuum would probably limit the emotional trauma I get from reading books or whatever. But then, what's the point, otherwise? I know Tolkien strongly denied the claim but it's hard to see how The Lord of the Rings could not be, in some parts, an allegory for World War II. And fuck, that's incredibly interesting and I get a lot of joy from seeing connections, even if they're entirely false.

I've learnt a lot from games. I still maintain that the only reason I passed school was because of video games and the skills they taught me. And in keeping with that, Game Theory has taught me a lot of cool shit too. The Assassin's Creed video about genetic memory and how we're all walking talking usb sticks was fucking incredible and something I would have never known if it hadn't been loosely connected to a video game. I just... I don't understand your feelings towards it. If you were just like "eh I don't care so much" or "I hate his voice" then maybe I could get it. But as it stands, you seem anti-fun and anti-learning -- living in a bubble is not beneficial.

I assume like most story lovers, you too have dreams of telling your own one day. If so, I challenge you to make sure that none of the characters have traits that you've seen in your friends or family. I challenge you to make sure none of the conflicts they encounter are ones that you've had or your friends have had in life. Man, I just, life is full of metaphors and symbols and references. How do you believe that any story is created without influence from something else, especially the real world?

Did you know Aerith's death was probably inspired by the passing of Hironobu Sakaguchi's mother? I hope hearing this theory didn't scar you or ruin your appreciation for the game.

Botchmun
12-23-2013, 06:08 AM
But as it stands, you seem anti-fun and anti-learning -- living in a bubble is not beneficial.

because this was the response that immediately came to mind when reading this whole thread.

I'm on the side of "pro-game theory" because I also liked the show Deadliest Warrior. That show is utter BS and even when I agreed with it I'm sure it was wrong and dumb. Yet week after week, every wednesday, my friends and I piled up on the couch, watched some Deadliest Warrior, then played some gawdamn Shadowrun while laughing and complaining about Deadliest Warrior. Game Theory falls into the same category as deadliest warrior for me, fun even if I didn't agree with it. The show pokes fun at video game logic, highlights some interesting bits of information and a few coincidences that I found entertaining, and has taught me some interesting bits of trivia. All I get from this thread is that Niale got their jimmies rustled hard and now we're faffing about to determine why.

Speaking of Hitler, (Because, thanks to Godwin's Law, this is now a Nazi thread) Did you know that he fought in The Great War as well as against a bunch of stupid high school students in Persona 2? He was also known for his love of power armour in Wolfenstein and having his head violently blown to pieces in Bionic Commando.

Jiro
12-23-2013, 06:16 AM
The fact that MatPat dedicated an entire episode to examining the physics of Wario's fart jump is evidence enough that he's not taking things too seriously. I mean, fuck, the sign off points out that it's all a theory anyway. :monster:

Karifean
12-23-2013, 02:33 PM
I might've liked Game Theory if I had really started watching it. I thought the Religion theory was rather well-thought-out although I don't believe in it. I could appreciate the effort he put into his videos. But what I think turned me off was the Who Really Killed Aerith theory. Not so much the theory itself, but rather the huge amount of "Cloud really killed Aerith" comments I came across all over YouTube for months after that. At the time I was in sort of an FF craze and looked up videos of pretty much anything for a while, so I ran into more of them than you usually would. I could only ignore them for so long before they started getting rather annoying. Left a sour taste.

I liked his Why We Complete Games (or whatever it was called) video though.

Sephex
12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
The fact that MatPat dedicated an entire episode to examining the physics of Wario's fart jump is evidence enough that he's not taking things too seriously. I mean, fuck, the sign off points out that it's all a theory anyway. :monster:

Yeah, I always take Game Theory with a grain of salt. I enjoy the show, but I don't think many episodes, if any, are meant to be played straight.

There was a two part episode where he explained by Mario is an actual bad guy that I thought was very entertaining. Ultimately, I don't actually agree with the theory, but the way it was presented was amusing.