PDA

View Full Version : Playing an mmo for gaming consoles other than a pc

Elskidor
12-21-2013, 07:32 PM
I've never done it, but I've heard people claim if an MMO can be played on a console then it's bound to fail and be terrible and other such wild claims. Hearing that mmo games will be offered on the PS4 kinda sounds appealing to me. It would also be a much cheaper than pimping out a gaming PC, and could posibly give me a reason to purchase the PS4 earlier than I planned. What are the pros and cons? Is there a significant difference or are some people just over exaggerating because they've gotten use to the tradition PC play style?

Aulayna
12-21-2013, 07:39 PM
MMOs don't really need pimped out gaming PCs, they're generally designed so that a fairly sizeable amount of people can play for them rather than catering to the top end of the market. XIV, for example (being one of the more recently released), will run fine on a 5 year old PC whose specs were considered "okay" 5 years ago.

As for the difference, it will depends on the MMO itself. Something like Guild Wars 2, which has a locked number of abilities and is more about movement would translate over a lot better than something like WoW would given WoW's immense amount of ability bloat amongst other things. A traditional MMO, that has a ridiconkulous number of abilities, would be harder to move over. But with more modern MMOs who realise there's a market in the console base, then we'll probably see for more gamepad accessible MMOs coming out in the future.

XIV is a step in the right direction but I still feel like it misses the sweet spot when it comes to the social interaction side of things. Talking to people via text is still far easier with a keyboard than a gamepad :p

Bolivar
12-22-2013, 03:18 PM
DC Universe Online is free on ps4 and given what I remember of the PC version I think it would translate incredibly well to console given how actioney it is. I need to check it out maybe I'll stream the thing soon.