PDA

View Full Version : Help? (Prime Rib?)

noxious.sunshine
12-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Ok. So.... This can be closed as soon as someone answers it with the right answer...

My mom did pot roast of course, which is the cheaper cut of roast... With carrots and potatoes.

But then there's the more expensive version, which she calls "Standing Rib Roast".

I want to make this for Christmas dinner.

The problem is... What the actual chuck -is- a standing rib roast!? Is it mom-speak for boneless Prime Rib!?

Cooking it isn't a problem, I just wanna know what the hell it is. My sister thinks I'm talking about her regular pot roast, but I'm -not-. I'm talking about the $20+ shit .

Thanks!!

Rantz
12-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't know much about this myself but I trust in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_rib_roast)!

A standing rib roast, also known as prime rib, is a cut of beef from the primal rib, which is one of the eight primal cuts of beef. The entire rib section comprises ribs six through 12 of the animal; a standing rib roast can comprise anywhere from two to seven ribs. It is given the name "standing" because it is most often roasted in a standing position, that is, with the ribs stacked vertically and the vertebral processes on the bottom. An alternative is to cook with the rib bones on the bottom and the vertebral processes removed for easier carving. A standing rib roast, if sliced when uncooked, would yield a number of rib steaks.

noxious.sunshine
12-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Ooo thanks!