PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Use

Skyblade
12-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Some foods only seem to exist to fill a specific purpose.

Sauerkraut, for example, is something I generally loathe, but it is used in the Reuban sandwich, which tastes delicious, and is pretty much the only justification for its existence that I will accept (regardless of what the Germans seem to think of it, I've heard it's really popular over there).

Figs seem to exist for the sole purpose of making the Fig Newton, a very yummy little cookie that stands out amidst the various candies, jams, spreads, and other recipes I've seen which use them.

Macadamia nuts, while not horrible on their own, are used to perfection in the white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, where the nut provides the perfect balance to the white chocolate, and result in an almost addictive cookie (and if you've never had one, find a place that sells them, they're awesome).

What other such items are out there? What foods, or ingredients, do you think have found their perfect niche, their single ideal use that dwarfs any other potential use?

Elskidor
12-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Sauerkraut is pretty good example. I can't eat it by itself, but it goes great on reubens, hot dogs and in other dishes. There are a ton of veggies and fruits I won't eat by itself, but I don't think I could live without them because they make a recipe superb. Then again I have to add other things to just about everything I eat in order to give it flavor. I'm not sure I like a single food by itself.

Calliope
12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Salt.

Shorty
12-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Eggplant. The only time I can enjoy eggplant is when used in Thai vegetable curry. I've tried roasted eggplant, grilled eggplant, eggplant parmesan, etc. The only tie I have found it enjoyable is when used in curry.

rubah
12-27-2013, 09:17 PM
figs are amazing