PDA

View Full Version : Suicide pact? Hopefully something less sinister

AssassinDX
12-22-2013, 08:32 AM
imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/8Q1qRtJ)

i always thought they were trying to kiss and simply clashed heads, but this takes place just after the plate collapses so I'm not so sure...

Ayen
12-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Holy crap, me too o.o

Jinx
12-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Woah, I think you may be right!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Good find!

I remember watching that and not being sure what went on. It's interesting to see how people interpret that scene as they get older.

When you're young, you think maybe they tried to kiss and bonked heads. As you get older and you realize the situation around them and take it in, you might consider the fact that they took themselves out intentionally....

It's like watching a cartoon show when you're older and realizing there is clearly a joke there that went over the head of the younger person watching it with you. I love that.

Hollycat
12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
I always thought they killed each other out of love

Psychotic
12-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Holy shit I remember this. I'd kind of just gone "Huh. FFVII." because the game had a lot of weirdly translated stuff like this, especially in Midgar, and I'd kind of glossed over it.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-22-2013, 04:59 PM
My friend and I who started playing FFVII a few years ago while taking video and making commentary definitely made fun of these two characters. I always thought, even as a kid, that they killed themselves here. But it's easy to interpret the other way when you talk to them before. They seemed to be talking all romantic to each other when you see them the first time if I remember right. All I can remember of their conversation is that one of them kept saying "Wow."

The whole of VII is kind of weird like this, though. With the mixture of some of the animations and the amusing translation, a lot of stuff like this is easy to look at as comical. This whole beginning part of the game would be quite serious and depressing had the translation been different, though.

maybee
12-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Yea, this was pretty strange/ dark.

Guess the game was trying to point out that the suicide rate in Midgar Slums was high.

Mercen-X
12-24-2013, 08:05 AM
It had always been my guess they were going the way of Romeo et Juliet.

Psychotic
12-24-2013, 08:10 AM
I've been looking at the gif again. The translation really ruins what could've been a touching emotional moment... or indeed a goofy comedy moment as it's just weird and clunky.

Still, I do find it hilarious that Cloud just stands there staring at them right up close like a god damn creeper the entire time.

Jiro
12-24-2013, 09:00 AM
It's hard to see tell what the intent was, but I guess that's alright as it still lends to a variety of interpretations. But yeah, crisper translation would've gone a long way.

MJN SEIFER
12-25-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm embarrased to say this, but when I was younger I thought it was meant to be sex. They probably didn't know how to animate it, but realistically, they would not be allowed to do that.

I think it was the sounds they make (in text) that made me think it could have been sex. I deeply appologise for this.

Sephex
12-25-2013, 05:52 PM
I just thought they kissed or whatever and fell over because Japanese culture.