PDA

View Full Version : Are people controlled by reviews, or by their own opinion on what games they like

Niale
12-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Age of Control, muhahaha!
Follow me sheep :D
I'm just kidding, your opinion :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQXpsIozdsE

Madonna
12-22-2013, 12:33 PM
The most effective method of selling something is selling via friends; if your friends can vouch for something, word of mouth, you are way more likely to purchase than any other form of advertising. Reviews and going out on a limb on something are both valid reasons to purchase something, but if you know someone whom you trust and whose opinion you respect, you are going to pick up that game/movie/thing that much faster.

Ayen
12-22-2013, 02:13 PM
I get the feeling you don't like critics very much.

Niale
12-22-2013, 02:58 PM
I get the feeling you don't like critics very much.

I praise entertainment ;)
I am not convinced by people claiming they know everything, basically a fest crash for me :D, i can sort that myself :). But ey its cool ;)
No worries, its all chill :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA3Royf9_zM
Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adudScuvZVA

Jiro
12-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Some critics are undoubtedly shit at their job, and some are influenced by marketing departments or bribes or whatever, but the simple fact remains that game criticism is not objective and anybody who believes that it is is an idiot. There is no objective or standardised way to review a game -- even the very act of scoring them is imprecise (I wrote a journal paper on this if you care to read it).

I read reviews. I read them for games I'm interested in and ones I'm not. Because one element of reviewing is entertainment -- if I'm not enjoying the review, I'm not gonna finish it and the critic doesn't get his or her opinion heard and the whole exercise was a bit fruitless.

Laddy
12-23-2013, 03:18 AM
I pretty much only listen to critics that value a design philosophy I agree or respect, and that's pretty much how critics should be treated, imo.

Frankly I think game criticism is far too lenient and complacent and most major publications really drop the ball when it comes to actual insight or anything remotely resembling objective critique.

Skyblade
12-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Word of mouth is definitely higher ranked in my mind than reviews. I have to take most reviews with a grain of salt anyway, as I'll frequently find that things people complain about are things that I love.

Old Manus
12-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Everyone says they don't listen to game reviews, but if they really didn't we wouldn't have had the 8.8 saga

theundeadhero
12-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Some people do. Some people don't. :shrug:

Botchmun
12-23-2013, 11:58 PM
there are some reviewers I like and some I don't, I always form my own opinions on games and I'm happy when reviewers agree but all in all I'm more of a "make up my own mind, share opinions" kinda guy. Sometimes my opinions are swayed but when I like what I like not even two cans of spinach in Popeye can change my mind.

Jiro
12-27-2013, 01:00 PM
I pretty much only listen to critics that value a design philosophy I agree or respect, and that's pretty much how critics should be treated, imo.

Frankly I think game criticism is far too lenient and complacent and most major publications really drop the ball when it comes to actual insight or anything remotely resembling objective critique.

Can you point out a feasible way that an objective standard can be evenly applied to video games? It's literally impossible without stifling both game design and freedom of choice, even personal taste. I don't weight reviews I consume highly in determining whether or not I should purchase a game, but this idea that critics are blowing smoke or not worth a grain of salt confuses me. Who are you reading and why don't you find something or someone else?

The metric of an out of ten score is heavily flawed. Personal preference is the only way to approach this without diminishing its significance further. Like you say, finding a critic that has a similar design philosophy -- or at least one you can relate to -- is your best bet. But entertaining ideas of objectivity is pointless. Tetris cannot be measured against The Legend of Zelda which cannot be measured against Bioshock Infinite which cannot be measured against Rock Band, but they're all rated on the same ten point (or, what, four point if we only use 7-10) scale.

Ghosteses
12-27-2013, 10:05 PM
a review is just a opinion. someones opinion that they have every right to =D

i never read a review and take it to mean i should not get a game. if it IS a bad review i go in more cautious and maybe get more and more opinions.

but i am not controlled by reviews. always better to judge stuff for yourself

Bolivar
12-28-2013, 03:19 AM
I really can't trust reviews at all, even journalists who I agree with on some titles are far off the mark from me in others.

Spuuky
12-28-2013, 05:28 AM
I only play games that are scored 95/100 or higher, I don't even bother reading the reviews.

Bunny
12-28-2013, 05:38 AM
I take reviews, not just for games, with a grain of salt. They can be a good measure of the worthiness of a game if they are mostly uniform in their grading systems (sub-5/10 or 50/100 scales). If a game has high scores from some sites and lows from a few others, I'll typically check it out to see what the deal is with them.

Aside from word of mouth "advertising," I think the best way to get me to play a game is to have a playable demo available. I very rarely buy games that I haven't heard about already if there is not a demo available. More companies should utilize them and it confuses me why they don't.

LunarWeaver
12-30-2013, 03:02 PM
I do listen to reviews. I totally check Metacritic scores. They aren't my final decision, but I take them into account. I'm a disease! A monster! Stop meeee! Aaah!

I'd say that while most criticism, even if it's your job, is subjective, video games can be broken and that's not an opinion. Some are flushed with bugs and game-breaking glitches. Often these get fixed in patches, but I'd like to know so I can wait for the reduced price version that is complete. These are factors that other branches of entertainment don't deal with on the same level. I've never read a book where some of the pages just go missing, or watched a television show where the actors forget their lines and walk in strange jerky motions for five minutes.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I don't buy games just because some reviews say it's good, but I'll avoid games if many reviews say it's bad. However, people I know and that I know have tastes similar to my own will easily trump any review.

Kyle: Well, there are instances where actors forget to use facial expressions and body language that actually fits with the situation, and directors who think this is still no problem. There's also movies where you can see the film crew, and the devices used for special effects.