PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Food

Calliope
12-22-2013, 07:24 PM
One of the things I have to do today is plan my Christmas menu so that it vaguely coordinates with what Spuuky's family will be having. They are having soup and bread on Christmas Eve (Sorry dear), so I'll make a white bean and kale soup to share (unless the Thai restaurant is open!!!!). For breakfast I think they're having "muffins and bacon" and then "ham and vegetables" for dinner. I know that the meals aren't the point of Christmas but all of that sounds pretty boring to me (especially when my mother in law sounded excited to offer me canned curry and cake out of box) so I'll have to flip through some recipe books and see what I can come up with! /foodsnob

What are you guys having?

Minami
12-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Christmas eve we'll probably get a curry from the local Indian takeaway. Christmas day we'll have the traditional roast minus the meat as most my family are vegetarian. To be specific we'll have roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots, parsnips, stuffing, yorkshire puddings and Yorkshire pudding. The vegetables will be delivered from our local farm shop tomorrow sometime, can't wait. Everything is organic and GM free. We also ordered a nut roast from them this year. I'm not a fan of nut roast but this one looks good so i'll probably have a small bit. We don't really have a special Christmas breakfast but will prob start off the day with a glass of bucks fizz lol

noxious.sunshine
12-22-2013, 10:11 PM
We always do appetizers and snacks on Christmas Eve- my mom's cheese ball with crackers, hot wings, quesadilla wedges, things like that...

Christmas Day, my dad wants a spiral ham and I'll probably do mashed potatoes and some veggies and whatnot... I really want to do a Prime Rib, so we may do that as well.. It just depends on stuff..

Miriel
12-23-2013, 05:28 AM
We're doing tacos for Christmas dinner! :D :D :D

There's lots of Christmas morning breakfast ideas I'd like to try, but I'm wary about overstepping on existing traditions that Husband and his family already have in place which is always monkey bread and bacon.

I do plan on doing lots of baking in the next few weeks. Can't really call it Christmas baking because I'm starting too late for Christmas! But people are gonna be getting lots of yummy treats in January.

I pinned this recipe today, maybe you want to try it Nicky? The title promises a lot: Cookie Recipe: Life-Changing Vegan Thumbprint Cookies Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn (http://www.thekitchn.com/cookie-recipe-lifechanging-veg-134691)

Calliope
12-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Ooh, maybe! I really like cooking with coconut oil. By the way I made a pizza from scratch today and modified that pasta sauce recipe slightly - no more buying pizza sauce for me!

Psychotic
12-23-2013, 06:59 AM
PIGS IN BLANKETS

Jiro
12-23-2013, 08:26 AM
man all I care about is some delicious ham and some pineapple and maybe some beetroot and fuck yeah christmas

Del Murder
12-23-2013, 05:12 PM
I can't wait for taco Christmas. :hyper:

Shorty
12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
We do a big Christmas breakfast with whatever is in the house - eggs, french toast or pancakes, seasoned potatoes, sausage and bacon, english muffins, juices, etc.

We usually do Christmas dinner early around 2pm or 3pm (I really hate this because food during that time is lunch not dinner! :argh:) and is nearly the same as Thanksgiving dinner, but with less stuff. Turkey is traditional, but we've included ham in the recent years because my step-dad likes it.

And then come all manner of desserts like cakes and pies and brownies and hot chocolate and cider and whatever else we've made in the days prior. Afterward, I will be quietly enjoying some Christmas gin alone in my bungalow.

blackmage_nuke
12-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Buttered Noodles for breakfast

starlet
12-25-2013, 04:13 AM
I made a beef stew for my mom and I today with a french baguette that I baked in the oven. Good lawd my apartment smelled amazing today. I also got a salad to go with it but we didn't touch it because I made way too much stew...probably enough for 8.

blackmage_nuke
12-25-2013, 06:34 AM
For Lunch I had a sausage roll and for dinner I had macdonalds

Night Fury
12-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Last night we went to HNB Dad's place and his wife cooked us this delicious Beef Wellington with salad and some roast vegetables. We also had breaded prawns and fresh seafood for a starter - and of course classic Bruschetta which was just beautiful! For dessert we has some of my grasshopper pie which was amazing, strawberries and a bit of trifle too. It was beautiful and certainly more of a 'traditional' dinner (as close as it gets, for me!) last night!

Today we have a fresh line caught whole fish that were are going to barbeque and have alongside some big sausages wrapped in bacon which will also be bbq'd, corn on the cobb and a jacket potato each! It's fortunately not as hot as it has been so we aren't sweltering in the heat.

I'm also halfway through making a passionfruit and raspberry cheesecake which I'll freeze for later!

:jess:

noxious.sunshine
12-25-2013, 12:36 PM

We usually do Christmas dinner early around 2pm or 3pm (I really hate this because food during that time is lunch not dinner! :argh:

It's Linnertime!

Psychotic
12-25-2013, 06:12 PM
PIGS IN BLANKETSI've eaten 11 :bigsmile:

Parker
12-25-2013, 06:44 PM
I had 4 because of other people

i ate an entire ASDA Extra Special Yule Log to myself though

Heath
12-25-2013, 07:00 PM
We didn't have pigs in blanket which was heartbreaking. Though there was more than enough roast potatoes and stuffing which made up for it!

Ayen
12-26-2013, 02:08 AM
Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, cranberries and a roll. It's usually what we have every Thanksgiving and Christmas and I never get tired of it. Dressing and mashed potatoes are my favorite foods and it's worth the annual wait to eat them.

Aulayna
12-26-2013, 04:37 PM

This is what I made for myself yesterday:

Turkey, roast spuds, parsnips, yorkshire puddings, pigs in blankets, sage & onion stuffing balls, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage and gravy, lots of gravy!

Served with a nice glass of white vino.

Followed by mince pies with custard.

Was delish! (so much so I'm having it again tonight as I purchased too much food for 1 person xD)

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-26-2013, 05:02 PM
For Lunch I had a sausage roll and for dinner I had macdonalds

I had McDonalds for Christmas Eve dinner!

And I had a Subway sandwich while driving for Christmas dinner!

Calliope
12-27-2013, 06:59 AM
So after all of my eoff moaning, and spending all of Christmas Eve cooking and baking (white bean and kale soup, lemon cake, pear and blackberry muffins, falafel), we arrived at Spuuky's house and found that his Mom had actually bought so much stuff (multiple flavours of almond milk, Jameson, vegan bread, margarine, sausages, cheese, dates, various vegetables, and she made peanut butter cups) that I ended up taking home twice the amount of food I had brought in the first place X_x;;;

We also went to our favourite Thai restaurant, so it looks like I won't be cooking for at least a week - which is a pretty awesome gift!

Jess
12-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Christmas Breakfast was a full English; sausages, mushrooms, bacon, egg, beans & hash browns.

Lunch was Roast Turkey, Roast Lamb, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, carrots, broccoli, honey parsnips & Yorkshire puddings. All covered in a yummy gravy. It was glorious.

Later followed by trifle, and then cheese & crackers.

We still have a ton of food that we are still trying to get through. I will be having cheese & crackers again later, after dinner. I love Christmas food! :jess: