PDA

View Full Version : Why did they change from Aeris to Aerith

Niale
12-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Its not such a big deal.
But Aeris is cooler ;)
No need to change something that ain't broken ;)
Story: Aeris, grab my hand, you are safe. NICE! (Thumbs up) :thumb:

Pike
12-23-2013, 02:40 PM
From what I understand, because Aerith is how it was originally meant to be said but translation issues turned it into Aeris.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Niale
12-23-2013, 02:41 PM
From what I understand, because Aerith is how it was originally meant to be said but translation issues turned it into Aeris.

Too late when the game was released, they should've stucked with Aeris onto the next gen too. Oh well... its cool either way. :)

Sephiroth
12-23-2013, 03:00 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img138/2896/bax4.jpg

Aerith, the original name, is an allusion to "Earth" as the official Kaitai Shinsho says but Aeris is an existing word with a fitting sense so it was normal to think about it. Many names are just mistranslations like Bizarro Sephiroth who even is correctly called Sephiroth Rebirth on his artwork or Safer Sephiroth instead of Sepher Sephiroth, Fourth Bracelet instead of Force Bracelet, Reina, Salsa, and all. It is not the same as with Frioniel/Firion, Cain/Kain, Golbeza/Golbez, Butz/Bartz, Exdeath/X-Death, Tina/Terra, Mash/Sabin, Cefca/Kefka, Ultimecia/Artemisia, Eclair/Claire or others.

They still use Aeris for the newly released Final Fantasy VIIs like the Steam version as I've heard, however as many people are used to it and the names are in other programs as the normal textboxes.

I don't really have a preference as they're both very similar, and I alternate between the two. I find it very interesting that they're doing it with Aeris/th and not with the Tina/Terra issue in FFVI.

Because one is an error and the other is not. One was never meant to be two names and the other was. It is not the same case.

Ayen
12-23-2013, 03:27 PM

You got it right. I tend to call her Aerith now these days after finding out about that. It's an easy enough thing to fix since I can just put in her correct name.

Loony BoB
12-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Aeris and Aerith are actually two completely different people. One is a sweet, caring person and the other is a sick, twisted and somewhat sociopathci. The latter murdered the former and continues to pretend to be their victim to this day. It is their Final Fantasy.

Psychotic
12-23-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't really have a preference as they're both very similar, and I alternate between the two. I find it very interesting that they're doing it with Aeris/th and not with the Tina/Terra issue in FFVI.

Shorty
12-23-2013, 04:44 PM
The Aerith spelling has always, always bothered me. When I read it I hear it in my head as someone saying it with a lisp and I can't stand it and it doesn't look correct.

Niale
12-23-2013, 05:03 PM
The Aerith spelling has always, always bothered me. When I read it I hear it in my head as someone saying it with a lisp and I can't stand it and it doesn't look correct.

This thread is over, best answer 5/5.
:)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-24-2013, 05:28 AM
I grew up with Aeris and whenever I think about her my gut instinct is to say it with an s. When the first Kingdom Hearts came out it was kind of off putting, but I've since grown used to it. I may have even changed her name to Aerith in an FFVII playthrough I made after KH!

Jiro
12-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Given that her parents couldn't even figure out her name, I'm not surprised this is still a long standing debate.

Source:

maybee
12-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Because they wanted the whole FF community to sound like lisp speakers.

Guess because Tina sounds exotic to Japanese players while Terra over here sounds exotic/ unique to us even though there's people called Terra over here, even have one as a friend in rl

imo Terra should be called Tina to separate from KH Terra.