PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV:ARR wins MMO of the Year at Massively

Loony BoB
12-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Massively's Best of 2013 Awards | Massively (http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2013-awards)

I have no idea what the competition was like, but hey, pretty much the best award an MMO can get. :) Also got Most Improved, but it's fair to say that was a bit of a no-brainer.

Ayen
12-23-2013, 03:32 PM
That's one hell of a turnaround. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside my body and I don't even play the game.

escobert
12-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Like you said not sure of the competition. I don't know of any big MMO's that came out this year to compete with it :p but still cool none the less.

Del Murder
12-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Nice job FFXIV. :thumbsup:

Jessweeee♪
12-24-2013, 12:42 AM
A lot of people are really upset about 2.1. So far I don't see a thing wrong with it :confused:

Tavrobel
12-25-2013, 04:39 AM
I have no idea what the competition was like

There wasn't.

Before people take that as a statement about FFXIV being a god-tier game, it isn't. That's more of a statement of the lack of MMOs that were released this year. The other large name was Neverwinter, and that game got broken in about two weeks. In comparison, XIV has been relatively free of serious glitches or bugs. 2013 has been extremely weak. 2014, on the other hand, looks promising. XIV may be able to keep up if they continue adding content every month.

Loony BoB
12-25-2013, 06:25 AM
I suppose there was Elder Scrolls, too.

EDIT: Major (ie, content) patches are due every three months, not every month. I actually think every month would be a little unrealistic and would end up feeling very rushed, though.

Tavrobel
12-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Elder Scrolls has been in closed beta stages every few months, this year. I have several friends who have gotten in and have said only negative things about it. I have not played Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim, so I have no idea what they were expecting. If the game is as un-fun as they say, they have some time to fix it (part of the 2014 splurge before it enters open beta).

Wildstar has also been in closed beta/stress testing this month. Aura Kingdom has started sending out their own closed invites, and automatic invites can be purchased. There's a couple of others that are less hyped.

If SE wanted to go the way of Guild Wars 2, they could always produce nothing but temporary content every month. Fastest way to get rid of a large population's worth of people, even faster than genocide.

Ayen
12-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I only heard good things about Elder Scrolls Online, one person saying they were glad it didn't feel like WoW from a first-person perspective. But there are always going to be some group of people hating on everything.