PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 Darwin Awards are here

AssassinDX
12-23-2013, 05:13 PM
The 2013 Darwin Awards Are Out! | My Underwood Typewriter (http://jdgroover.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/the-2013-darwin-awards-are-out/)

Yes, it’s that magical time of year again when the Darwin Awards are bestowed, honoring the least evolved among us.

Here Is The Glorious Winner:
1. When his .38 caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach, California would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked.

And Now, The Honorable Mentions:

2. The chef at a hotel in Switzerland lost a finger in a meat cutting machine and after a little shopping around, submitted a claim to his insurance company. The company expecting negligence sent out one of its men to have a look for himself. He tried the machine and he also lost a finger. The chef’s claim was approved.

3. A man who shoveled snow for an hour to clear a space for his car during a blizzard in Chicago returned with his vehicle to find a woman had taken the space. Understandably, he shot her.

4. After stopping for drinks at an illegal bar, a Zimbabwean bus driver found that the 20 mental patients he was supposed to be transporting from Harare to Bulawayo had escaped. Not wanting to admit his incompetence, the driver went to a nearby bus stop and offered everyone waiting there a free ride. He then delivered the passengers to the mental hospital, telling the staff that the patients were very excitable and prone to bizarre fantasies. The deception wasn’t discovered for 3 days.

5. An American teenager was in the hospital recovering from serious head wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.

6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer… $15. [If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?]

7. Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly. He decided that he’d just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So he lifted the cinder block and heaved it over his head at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the would-be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of Plexiglas. The whole event was caught on videotape.

8. As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the snatcher. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, “Yes, officer, that’s her. That’s the lady I stole the purse from.”

9. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti, Michigan at 5 A.M., flashed a gun, and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn’t open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren’t available for breakfast… The frustrated gunman walked away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]

10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street by sucking on a hose, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home’s sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he’d ever had and the perp had been punished enough!

Psychotic
12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Damn, sucks for those poor folks in #4!

Still, that explains how EoFF got a huge increase in members this year.

Calliope
12-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Uuuuugh, the fourth one. As for the ninth:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ad4f09a70b81c51510772d7d103f3528/tumblr_muogcuJMe91rp7u6ro1_500.gif

Slothy
12-23-2013, 05:47 PM
I am a big fan of anyone dumb enough to point the barrel of a gun at their face and pull the trigger.

Hollycat
12-23-2013, 05:49 PM
the last ones a very old story for many years ago I don't think it should be on the list.

Shorty
12-23-2013, 05:50 PM
I came here hoping to be uplifted by veritable good deeds, inventions or general findings listed here. Now you're ruined my day. :colbert:

Slothy
12-23-2013, 05:53 PM
I came here hoping to be uplifted by veritable good deeds, inventions or general findings listed here. Now you're ruined my day. :colbert:

Wait... are you telling me you didn't know what the Darwin awards are?

Calliope
12-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Pretty much. We better go look for some!

EDIT: Well, other than knowing what the Darwin Awards are, there's a bunch of books about them as well that are fairly amusing. I guess I just mean it's odd that they release them just before Christmas!

Shorty
12-23-2013, 05:55 PM
I've never heard of them before!

Calliope
12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
But Sarah, I thought you were omniscient!

Shorty
12-23-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm sorry to be a disappointment :(

Del Murder
12-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Well, you got to give the winner credit for going out Yosemite Sam style. :lol:

Jiro
12-24-2013, 01:32 AM
I prefer the ones where people don't die but man the level of stupidity is just so damn high

DMKA
12-24-2013, 02:09 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but that whole list is old, and fake.

snopes.com: 2005 Darwin Awards (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/darwin05.asp)

Besides, aren't the Darwin Awards supposedly reserved for people who either get themselves killed or destroy their ability to reproduce? Just doing something stupid isn't enough.

Darwin Awards: History and Rules (http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/)

Raistlin
12-24-2013, 03:00 AM
The Darwin Awards are for people who remove themselves from the gene pool, usually via death. Some of the Honorable Mentions don't die, though (one of the most memorable ones is where a guy put his testicles in one of those golfball cleaners out on a golf course). My AP English teacher in high school had a few of the books in her office and sometimes we'd just sit around and read them. Good times.

This (http://www.darwinawards.com/) is the actual website, and here are a few real ones:

(5 Feb 2013, São Paulo, Brazil) Mechanic Sérgio A. Rosa, 49, was welding a gas tanker that, curiously, exploded, sending his remains flying 400 meters through the air.

(27 February 2012, North Carolina) "It was just a freak incident," said an investigator, that caused the death of 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning. Gary was at a friend's apartment when he spotted a salsa jar containing a mystery fluid. Thinking that it was an alcoholic beverage, he helped himself to a sizeable swig of gasoline! Naturally enough, he immediately spit out the offending liquid onto his clothes. Then, to recover from the shock, Gary lit a cigarette.

HONORABLE MENTION: (survivors) Lottery Winners Celebrate By Blowing Up House. Two brothers celebrated a winning $75,000 lottery ticket with a marijuana and meth binge that blew up their house. In preparation for the drug orgy they emptied several large cans of butane fuel while refilling their lighters; butane fumes crept toward the furnace and ignited. One brother was was taken to the hospital and the other was taken to jail. (Witchita, KS. 15 February 2013.) The girlfriend loaded him into the car, dropped him off at the Emergency Room, and zoomed away with the kids! Smart girl. However, survival plus children equals No Darwin Award.

Who would park the car on a busy freeway in heavy fog, for a quickie?

That's the whole picture: A young couple, driving along Via Dutra, the largest freeway in Brazil with tons of heavy traffic, at 6AM under heavy fog. The couple decided that this was the time to park (for "dating" according to the charming Google translation) and, yes, they parked on the freeway in the right-hand lane, not on the shoulder, the median, or at a gas station. Naturally, given time a cargo truck encountered a "speed bump," instantly killing both -- during the act of procreation -- double-double Darwin Award!

(25 August 2010, Daejon, South Korea) An angry handicapped man, annoyed that an elevator departed without him, thinks it over before ramming his wheelchair into the doors (bam!) once, twice, three times in all. Success and failure combined as he gained access to the elevator, and plunged down the rabbit hole to his death. This 40-year-old man earns immortality as an irritated Darwin Award winner.

(31 July 2009, South Carolina) Two disguised men entered a Sprint store on Sparkleberry Lane, pulled out guns, and stole wallets, purses, and credit cards from employees before ordering them into a bathroom. Both men fled, but they could not flee from their own stupidity. 23-year-old James T. had disguised himself by painting his face gold.

Yes, in order to conceal his identity during the robbery, James had covered his skin with spray paint. If this isn't a Darwin Award, what is? Paints are clearly labelled, do not get on skin, do not get in eyes, do not inhale. Paint fumes are well-known to be toxic, and the metallic colors are particularly noxious. James began having trouble breathing (surprise!) and died wheezing shortly after the robbery took place.

To add insult to injury, the disguise was ineffective. Witnesses were certain as to the identity of their assailant. Had he lived, James, like his surviving accomplice, would have been charged with armed robbery.

escobert
12-24-2013, 06:01 AM
#4 was amazing.

Heath
12-28-2013, 08:51 PM
You've got to give #4 credit for thinking on their feet. He must've felt pretty please with himself until he got found out!