PDA

View Full Version : How do people find out where i am from

Niale
12-23-2013, 08:34 PM
I am just curious if people can find information about me where they can track my location. But i have not written anything in my account info on where i live, so how can people figure out from what country i am from?

I am unsure, but it seems to sugest they knew.
Atleast with this thread i made, any ideas?

Source:
http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/153594-do-brits-cream-themself-when-they-hear-their-own-voice.html

AssassinDX
12-23-2013, 08:38 PM
That's a guess I think, I must admit I assumed you were American simply by the context of your topic. Regular members like me can't see anything you don't want us to, like an IP address or anything we can trace you with. All we know is you're Niale, and you like to insult Brits. :P

Shauna
12-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Staff members have magical powers. We know where all of you are from.

Psychotic
12-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Maybe you should think twice about taking a pop at the British in future... James Bond is very good at surveillance! ;)

As a serious answer, on this or any other forum a staff member could see your IP address and host name which would contain information on what country you were from, and perhaps what part of that country. They could not narrow it down to any more than a city at best and would not be able to get your name and address.

Niale
12-23-2013, 08:50 PM
That's a guess I think, I must admit I assumed you were American simply by the context of your topic. Regular members like me can't see anything you don't want us to, like an IP address or anything we can trace you with. All we know is you're Niale, and you like to insult Brits. :P

Are you sure :D
So if one has my ip address, then they can trace me. Hmm... i don't quite like that.

"Mmm'yes, (sips tea)", but its chill, everyday people is cool ;)

Spuuky
12-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Are you sure :D
So if one has my ip address, then they can trace me. Hmm... i don't quite like that.

"Mmm'yes, (sips tea)", but its chill, everyday people is cool ;)Well, despite his assurances, someone sufficiently technically skilled and/or with access to the right systems could find you more specifically, yes, although it's very improbable (and they'd need some reason to bother).

Jiro
12-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Also consider that staff members at a Final Fantasy message board, while clearly having nothing better to do with their lives, would be a) not skilled enough or b) not interested in tracking you down for whatever reason.

rubah
12-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Rofl, maybe current staff 8)

FYI, if you go on the chat, your IP is shared with that server and usually isn't masked very thoroughly.

Quindiana Jones
12-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm outside your house right now, talking on my talkie.