PDA

View Full Version : Is "grilled cheese sandwich" typical american food

Niale
12-23-2013, 11:01 PM
I am just curious, it does sounds good though :)

Spooniest
12-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah that's the Sort of thing you make when there's nothing much to eat in the house...it's quick and cheap.

Dr Unne
12-23-2013, 11:24 PM
It's also typical Canadian food. I thought it would be common anywhere bread, cheese, butter, skillets and heat exist. It's the most logical combination of those things. Put cheese on bread, put butter on heated skillet, put cheesed bread on heated buttered skillet until the cheese melts.

You can also put sliced meat on there. You can use good bread and multiple cheeses to make it fancy. Optionally have it with soup, chop the sandwich into triangles and dip it in the soup. It's good.

Shauna
12-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Cheese toasties are also pretty common here in the UK. Putting some ham on there, delish.

Dr Unne
12-23-2013, 11:45 PM
You call them toasties? If I was capable of giggling, I would be giggling now.

Shauna
12-23-2013, 11:46 PM
In parts of Spain a cheese and ham toastie is known as a bikini.

Minami
12-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Cheese toasties are also pretty common here in the UK. Putting some ham on there, delish.

I like mine with onion or mushroom rather than ham :greenie:

Jiro
12-24-2013, 12:58 AM
Solidarity for my UK brethren: Australia also calls them toasties, alongside the "toasted sandwich" or "toasted sanga"

Rantz
12-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Grilled cheese sandwiches are amazing. I've been eating them all my life, and I'm no American!

noxious.sunshine
12-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Lol I put BACON on mine.

And I use -swiss- & cheddar.

Nom nom nom

Calliope
12-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Solidarity for my UK brethren: Australia also calls them toasties, alongside the "toasted sandwich" or "toasted sanga"

"Toasted sandwiches" for the win. None of this "sarnie" or "sammie" nonsense.

Good filling combos include: Cheese, cheese and ham, cheese and onion, cheese and granny smith apple slices, cheese and strawberry jam (just try it once).

Slothy
12-24-2013, 02:47 AM

GTFO. :colbert:

Elskidor
12-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Sure go good with chili!

Pumpkin
12-24-2013, 04:40 AM
I make mine with cheddar cheese and bread and butter.

That's it :D

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-24-2013, 05:16 AM
OP, it sounds like even outside of America it's hard to argue with a nice grilled cheese sandwhich....or toastie.

Can't go wrong with some nice slices of ham or turkey in between two slices of cheese.

Calliope, I don't know what type of devilry is entailed with the addition of strawberry jam but how can that taste good? :stare:

Elskidor
12-24-2013, 05:25 AM
My daughter eats peanut butter and strawberry/grape jam and cheese. Doesn't sound safe, but I have not had to take her to the hospital in a few days.

Formalhaut
12-24-2013, 05:29 AM
I make mine with cheddar cheese and bread and butter.

That's it :D

Simple is generally what I go for when it comes to cheese toasties. Mmm, I've a hankering for one now.. LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE NOW QUINA'S KITCHEN.

Jiro
12-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Fun fact: American cheese is literally the same as Old English cheese. I think I looked it up once to confirm but either way my tastebuds don't lie.

Shorty
12-24-2013, 07:31 AM
I love grilled cheese! I always always eat them dipped into tomato soup.

Sometimes I get fancy and use 2-4 different cheeses, onions, avocado and tomatoes, etc. These is a place here that exclusively serves fifty or so different kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches and it is amazing.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-24-2013, 07:49 AM

This reminds that a friend of mine went to the UK last year or the year before for some reason (possibly studying abroad, I can't remember for sure). The only thing he talked about when he got back was about being asked the question: "Do you want your toastie toasted?" The question really amused him.

Anyways, I love grilled cheese. I've been in the mood to have some grilled cheese and tomato soup lately.

Pike
12-24-2013, 07:55 AM
The proper grilled cheese sandwich involves cheddar. Just cheddar. None of this other fancy nonsense. Dip it in soup and away you go!

Slothy
12-24-2013, 01:58 PM
No. American is (apparently) a pale imitation of cheddar cheese. You could pay me to choose that over something that isn't processed garbage. :doublecolbert:

Pike
12-24-2013, 03:34 PM
When you guys say "cheddar" do you mean "American"?

oh god no, I never use American cheese for anything.

Cheddar for grilled cheese and hamburgers, and Provolone, Monterey Jack, or Colby Jack for cold sandwiches.

Shorty
12-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Cheddar makes the best grilled cheese. American is go for cheap, and using it in grilled cheese is the only time I will eat it because Pike is correct.

Slothy
12-24-2013, 06:09 PM
That's actually the point I was getting at Sam. American tastes nothing like cheddar.

Or even cheese really.

Spuuky
12-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Cheddar is too sharp? But there are many cheddars, and many of them aren't sharp at all. Also, sharper is better. And no other cheese should be used for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Formalhaut
12-24-2013, 10:28 PM
By 'American' cheese, we are referring to this right?

http://estebanpulidophotography.com/AmCheeseDocu/AmCheeseDocu_files/shapeimage_3.jpg

The 'Imitation' says it all, really.

Miriel
12-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Cheddar is my go to cheese for grilled cheese, but gruyère is good too. Making a grilled cheese with American cheese would up the nostalgia factor. Haven't had one of those in years.

Shorty
12-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Gruyere is amazing!

I am going to make fancy grilled cheese for lunch today :jess:

fire_of_avalon
12-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Here is a fancy grilled cheese that I never make because it is expensive.

Gruyere, brie, white cheddar, bacon, tomato and honey (just do it.) So good. The best grilled cheese. The absolute best. I want one ASAP.

Mirage
12-29-2013, 11:55 PM
It's typical anywhere food. I've made them, or had them made for me for as long as I can remember. I'm from Norway.

I typically use some sort of swiss cheese and sometimes a bit of whatever kind of bluecheese i have in the fridge. I don't really buy ingredients specifically to use for grilled cheese sandwiches, so it varies greatly.

ShunNakamura
12-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Back when I we were even poorer than we are now I can remember Grilled Cheese + cheap tomato soup being one of our staple foods. Along with very basic spaghetti.

Haven't had any since. We got kinda tired of such foods after eating them exclusively for like 4 years. Eggs are another thing we could get cheap. So our diet was basically Eggs, Grilled Cheese, and Spaghetti.

Shlup
12-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Grilled cheddar on wheat, dipped in tomato soup, is my absolute favorite food when I'm in any kind of altered state.

Jess
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
I love a ham & cheese toastie! Always cheddar. I have never heard of it with tomato soup, though. But now I want to try it! I'm going to have to get out my toastie maker and try it over the next couple of days! :jess: