PDA

View Full Version : Did you permanently take down the mechanical spider X-ATM092?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-24-2013, 08:26 AM
I've heard it's possible to kill the machine that chases you out of Dollet, but I've never done it myself. I've only ever been able to knock it out a few times until Quistis inevitably puts a million holes in it. That's a great cutscene, so I don't know if I want to take him down :p

Does anyone know what this changes when you come back to Dollet later? All I've heard is that it means the town doesn't get wrecked.

Karifean
12-24-2013, 11:22 AM
As far as I know it doesn't have any permanent influence. You do get an extra 100 points on your SeeD Exam (although probably at the cost of some points for time remaining), a lot of AP and IIRC an Orihalcon.

Killing the thing is easy if you grind a bit beforehand. All you need is Quezacotl's Med-Magic RF (the one that transforms regular spells to -ra spells) and a bunch of Thunder to convert to Thundara. Then draw some Double from Elvoret and you're good to go. Just don't forget that you cannot kill it on your very first encounter.

Psychotic
12-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Lord no. Run away run away run away run away!

Sephiroth
12-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Of course but I prefer Quistis showing some skills.

The funniest scene is when a new model returns and just falls down the hill.

Ayen
12-24-2013, 04:25 PM
I didn't even know you COULD permanently take it down. I'm fine with Quistis doing all the work.

AssassinDX
12-24-2013, 04:35 PM
You do get an extra 100 points on your SeeD Exam (although probably at the cost of some points for time remaining)

That's exactly what happened to me, it took me so damn long to defeat the thing what I made in AP for killing it I lost for taking too long out in the field.

Dollet is still trashed as far as I know, unfortunately nothing changes that influences how that part of the game pans out.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Maybe that one guy doesn't get a new car later, after the brief cutscene when you're running down the streets of Dollet and the spider just steps on his car like nothing. At least, I've always assumed the two cars were connected.

Minami
12-25-2013, 11:21 AM
I try every single time i play the game, but haven't succeeded yet. I always worry about running out of time and failing lol

Jiro
12-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Passing up the kickass escape FMV is just simply not possible for me. Discretion is the better part of valour, imo. Happy to run like a pussy. I mean, why break it anyway? It's so majestic.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Someday I might try to break it, but every time I consider attempting it I remember that I won't get to see the escape cutscene and change my mind.

Heath
12-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Considered doing it on the playthrough I started last week, but then did absolutely no prep. Tried in vain anyway, but eventually ended up running away like a wimp. I know my limits.

Shorty
12-26-2013, 03:05 AM
Passing up the kickass escape FMV is just simply not possible for me. Discretion is the better part of valour, imo. Happy to run like a pussy. I mean, why break it anyway? It's so majestic.

My sentiments. I didn't even know it was possible to kill it - it comes back in the second disk!

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2013, 03:24 AM
The only thing that happens is 300AP and 100 bonus points to make up for points lost for all of the time it took to do it.

I did it once just for funsies, but I normally don't when I play through the game. Takes way too much grinding.

Jiro
12-26-2013, 08:49 AM
300 AP is just entirely pointless at that point unless you've grinded to hell and back and if you've done that then where's the fun anyway

:jess:

Iceglow
12-27-2013, 03:46 AM
You have an easier time with Card Mod RF and the RF ability to grant thunder/wind spells. This way it is possible to card a load of enemies, or play cards a load of times and make a ton of Thundaga spells. Couple these to Tornado Spells assigned to the Mag Stat on a character (give a different character Ifrit with Str-J and Elem Attack, 100 Thundaga to elem attack, 100 Firaga to str)

Using that approach it's possible to be dealing 2000+ every attack with those characters, the 3rd is pretty much there to heal or if they have good mag stat, cast double Thundaga spells. Using this set up, can defeat the Black Widow in about 3 mins. In fact, it can take less time than the encounters with the Widow take normally. However the prep? Is ridiculous.