PDA

View Full Version : Genesis of the monsters

Jiro
12-24-2013, 10:14 AM
There are a fuckload of monsters in Final Fantasy VII. We see that Shinra are responsible for creating some monsters in the Nibelheim reactor, and I believe there is talk of Mako leaks making animals mutate and what not. But Professor Gast and Ifalna add another source to the mix: they are the Cetra, mutated by (presumably) Jenova's cells.

So we have three possible sources of monsters. Is there any discernible way to distinguish them? Are they all legitimate? Could each process have created similar monsters? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS AND FINAL FANTASY VII DOESN'T HAVE A 'THEY CAME FROM THE MOON' SIMPLE ANSWER.

Sephiroth
12-24-2013, 12:17 PM
... and I believe there is talk of Mako leaks making animals mutate and what not. But Professor Gast and Ifalna add another source to the mix: they are the Cetra, mutated by (presumably) Jenova's cells.

Those were not Cetra. As you might remember, they did not find Cetra except Iphalna, her daughter and a Cetra which was not a Cetra but just a shapeshifted body (shapeshift/mimic ability Sephiroth uses as well to change appearance, can also change speech and language) of JENOVA's true form (Synthesis), looking like the brethren of Cetra to be with them and slowly infecting them. Cetra which mutated died in the process of JENOVA absorbing life, which is the reason why it uses the cells in the first place.

The sickness you get from the viral cells was shown as regular mutation/getting weaker/getting life drained away, Degradation and Geostigma, the last one heavily combined with Sephiroth's will and other peoples' hopelessness as JENOVA cells work with both the body and the mind. An additional case is Cloud's confabulation which subconsciously lets him read Tifa's memories and mix them with his own to create half-truths, that he is fully convinced of while supressing the contradictory memories. But that is not the kind of sickness that is the same. When it comes to that I could also count being mind controlled and all and that is something different than the mutation.

There are the normal humans that are injected with JENOVA cells and the Cetra. The Cetra were almost completely eradicated during the process. The humans were mainly SOLDIERs and important main characters as well as main characters who actually had the cells as parental cells.

The monsters (with an actual monster-like transformation) are:

- JENOVA
- Sephiroth (Rebirth, Sepher) (currently dead)
- Genesis (Avatar)
- Angeal (Penance) (dead)
- Mutated Cetra (dead)
- Hojo (Herectic, Lifeform) (dead)
- clone mutation monsters (S, G, A)
- SOLDIERS with heavy mako and JENOVA injection (dead)

When we have normal monsters - Final Fantasy VII has the same myth as Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X has an explanation for them.

I don't think you can really lump every opponent into the category of "monster" as X did so neatly with "fiend".

You may not take the English translated version, of course. As Lifestream and Farplane are of the same matter all these things work with the same concept.

Psychotic
12-24-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't think you can really lump every opponent into the category of "monster" as X did so neatly with "fiend".

Still, the real question on everyone's lips is: How the fuck did the Houses in Midgar become sentient and attack you? How did that happen?!

Scotty_ffgamer
12-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Still, the real question on everyone's lips is: How the smurf did the Houses in Midgar become sentient and attack you? How did that happen?!

Hojo seems like the kind of guy who would think it would be fun to try infusing houses with JENOVA cells.

Sephiroth
12-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Hojo seems like the kind of guy who would think it would be fun to try infusing houses with JENOVA cells.

Or Squirrels that throw with money.

VeloZer0
12-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I think Cloud was just hallucinating most of them to fit in with his whole 'SOLDIER Hero' persona.

Jiro
12-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Interesting that the FFX explanation aids here given the connection. But yeah, we have so many varieties of monsters, hard to figure out an origin for them all

maybee
12-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Genesis of the monster sounds like a rock band, with Genesis as the lead singer xD

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS AND FINAL FANTASY VII DOESN'T HAVE A 'THEY CAME FROM THE MOON' SIMPLE ANSWER.

Haha, where's your " Final Fantasy 8 stinks at storytelling " thing now ?

It may of had the infamous Orphange thing, but at least it simply told us where the monsters came from, the moon.

* starts singing Sweet Victory from Spongebob Squarepants *

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwa18fZ9fU1r0kcr7.gif

Jiro
12-25-2013, 11:46 PM
I love Final Fantasy VIII though :shobon:

Ayen
12-26-2013, 02:04 AM
I just kill monsters, I don't care where they came from *typical American response*

Christmas
09-29-2022, 04:40 AM
They came from the planet's asshole. :bigsmile:

Mr Gashtacular
09-29-2022, 05:50 AM
they're just animals dude lmao

Christmas
09-29-2022, 04:00 PM
I heard you were quite an animal in the honeybee inn. :bigsmile:

Mr Gashtacular
09-29-2022, 04:23 PM
:kakapo: