PDA

View Full Version : AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd) Is stupid, here is proof

Niale
12-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Proof:
http://www.somethingawful.com/flash-tub/furious-famicom-faggot-2/
Probably my last rants for awhile.
So if you hate games and dislike fun, then you're gonna love AVGN on YouTube.

Seems stupidity is kinda the new thing on the internet, its amazing too me though :)

But you can disagree or agree, we live in a democrazy so, power to the people (Enlightenment is your friend) :D

I recommend playing a game though, its cool! :)

Edit:
http://www.somethingawful.com/flash-tub/furious-famicom-faggot6/

Ghosteses
12-26-2013, 03:28 AM
sorry if this seems super weird of me or even rude i hope am not breaking any rules here but

do you make threads purposely just to express how much you hate everything popular on youtube? i am just really curious i am not trying to be mean or anything.

i am not really to sure who angry video game nerd is but i think i heard of him. what i have heard is like game theorists its a show. it is not supposed to be taken seriously it is called humour.

i am not sure why you do not understand that and why you call people out for using sarcasm. i mean not getting something is fine but insulting someone for there humour is just dumb =/

sorry everyone/anyone

i just had to ask i a m not trying to be mean at all xD

Sephex
12-26-2013, 03:29 AM
People take the AVGN seriously? I got the parody of the video that you linked, and I wouldn't put the AVGN on the top of the internet dudes I follow, but this parody had TRYHARD syndrome.

I don't know. I guess it's too much to ask for some people to watch stuff that they enjoy, and avoid stuff that they don't have an interest in.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-26-2013, 03:38 AM
I personally love AVGN. I watched through all of his videos this summer with my roommate. It's just a character that's not really meant to be taken seriously. I mean, James Rolfe in every video outside of the nerd character seems to be one of the nicest guys. His other series, Board James and Monster Madness are a lot of fun as well.

Aside from the humor, I do think there are also some super interesting things about gaming history to be found in some of the episodes, too. It's also just kind of fun seeing how bad some of the games he plays are.

Niale
12-26-2013, 03:39 AM
People take the AVGN seriously? I got the parody of the video that you linked, and I wouldn't put the AVGN on the top of the internet dudes I follow, but this parody had TRYHARD syndrome.

I don't know. I guess it's too much to ask for some people to watch stuff that they enjoy, and avoid stuff that they don't have an interest in.

I do think it portrays it well.
True, we can like what we want. That's true, i am just trying to create awareness, to ask why they do think its good. Because i believe internet is a very effective tool, but much of it i think is a lack of content quality, which people are sucked into unfortunately.
But you make a valid point on "Matter of Taste".
Self awareness, is good in my opinion though. :)

Niale
12-26-2013, 03:40 AM
sorry if this seems super weird of me or even rude i hope am not breaking any rules here but

do you make threads purposely just to express how much you hate everything popular on youtube? i am just really curious i am not trying to be mean or anything.

i am not really to sure who angry video game nerd is but i think i heard of him. what i have heard is like game theorists its a show. it is not supposed to be taken seriously it is called humour.

i am not sure why you do not understand that and why you call people out for using sarcasm. i mean not getting something is fine but insulting someone for there humour is just dumb =/

sorry everyone/anyone

i just had to ask i a m not trying to be mean at all xD

No need to appologize.
To answer: I like to ask. No more no less :)
It's chill. :)

Niale
12-26-2013, 03:47 AM
I personally love AVGN. I watched through all of his videos this summer with my roommate. It's just a character that's not really meant to be taken seriously. I mean, James Rolfe in every video outside of the nerd character seems to be one of the nicest guys. His other series, Board James and Monster Madness are a lot of fun as well.

Aside from the humor, I do think there are also some super interesting things about gaming history to be found in some of the episodes, too. It's also just kind of fun seeing how bad some of the games he plays are.

But do you think the game is bad because he says it is, or because you think it is.
It can give you a false impression, i recommend trying the game and see for yourself.
For example: I did enjoy "Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest", the idea of daylight and night time seems good, not that i ever tried it when i was younger, but "practice makes a champ"
Its ham up type of anger, not funny because people do believe it, thats the problem. They believe he is an expert, being the spokesman can discourage the game, because of it.

What i enjoyed:
- The daylight and night time system
- Heart to buy weapons and items
- Puzzle solving
- Realism (Healed the wounds in a church to get life back, instead of a chicken?)
etc
Times when you've disagreed with the AVGN - Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures Message Board for PC - GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/728799-angry-video-game-nerd-adventures/67358764)

Jinx
12-26-2013, 03:51 AM
I don't think this really warrants two separate threads.

Niale
12-26-2013, 03:53 AM
AVGN sucks. (http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1314331)

Sephex
12-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Oh god, why did I even bother with this thread?

OPINIONS!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Out.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Castlevania 2: Simons Quest was only his first episode (and I guess he did a bit with it in his four part Castlevania series). Honestly, that first video is pretty different from most all of the rest of his videos. He has some valid complaints for the game, though. I don't think it's a bad game from the bit I've played, but that's besides the point. Most of the games AVGN play are terrible games or at least have a lot of easily noticeable flaws.

Even when there are debatable points he makes about a game's quality, AVGN is just a character he plays that's meant to be humorous and silly. A lot of it is stupid over the top humor, but the episodes are pretty well thought out with many hours of work put behind them.

Edit: I probably shouldn't have bothered with this thread since I don't really have anything negative to say about AVGN. I kind of just want to talk about my favorite AVGN episodes.

Niale
12-26-2013, 04:03 AM
Oh god, why did I even bother with this thread?

OPINIONS!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Out.

I don't blame you :)
Closing the window and doing something else is good :)

rubah
12-26-2013, 04:05 AM
The guy does what he does out of love and humor. We've all been frustrated at stupid simple failings of games. They aren't meant to be critical game reviews, to convince you to buy or play 25 year old games, it's more like staying up all night in your dorm room playing NES with your roommates instead of studying for a final, and bitching at every little thing.

Niale
12-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Castlevania 2: Simons Quest was only his first episode (and I guess he did a bit with it in his four part Castlevania series). Honestly, that first video is pretty different from most all of the rest of his videos. He has some valid complaints for the game, though. I don't think it's a bad game from the bit I've played, but that's besides the point. Most of the games AVGN play are terrible games or at least have a lot of easily noticeable flaws.

Even when there are debatable points he makes about a game's quality, AVGN is just a character he plays that's meant to be humorous and silly. A lot of it is stupid over the top humor, but the episodes are pretty well thought out with many hours of work put behind them.

Edit: I probably shouldn't have bothered with this thread since I don't really have anything negative to say about AVGN. I kind of just want to talk about my favorite AVGN episodes.

You are free to like whatever you like. No worries dude, its cool.

AVGN in a nutshell "OMG I HATE GAMES"."Swears alot"

Yawn, where is a good movie and a popcorn.
Ah there :)

Niale
12-26-2013, 04:13 AM
The guy does what he does out of love and humor. We've all been frustrated at stupid simple failings of games. They aren't meant to be critical game reviews, to convince you to buy or play 25 year old games, it's more like staying up all night in your dorm room playing NES with your roommates instead of studying for a final, and bitching at every little thing.

Not encouragely ;)

Ghosteses
12-26-2013, 04:30 AM
so why do you care enough to make a thread and complain about people saying they suck like it is a fact? just because you do not get it it does not mean they suck.

if you do not like it do not watch it. i do not really care for pewdiepie but i am not about to go make threads saying how much i think he sucks hoping people will agree with me ;o

i am not sure if you are posting this hoping for a discussion or what because your replys seem completely different from your original post :x

Niale
12-26-2013, 04:41 AM
so why do you care enough to make a thread and complain about people saying they suck like it is a fact? just because you do not get it it does not mean they suck.

if you do not like it do not watch it. i do not really care for pewdiepie but i am not about to go make threads saying how much i think he sucks hoping people will agree with me ;o

i am not sure if you are posting this hoping for a discussion or what because your replys seem completely different from your original post :x

"Don't like reading, don't come", just joking with you.
Well some do though, threads sort out all the problems :cool:
Star Fox Snes OST - Course Clear Orchestra and Band Version - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=posI-2PuzEs)

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2013, 05:01 AM
You should make a website where you do reviews of people with websites doing reviews of things.

(But in AVGN's defense, most of the games on his show aren't very fun. I think Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is my favorite.)

Niale
12-26-2013, 05:06 AM
You should make a website where you do reviews of people with websites doing reviews of things.

(But in AVGN's defense, most of the games on his show aren't very fun. I think Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is my favorite.)

Then you're gonna love this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2p2Uwc3DtQ

I think there is a site, if i remember correctly "Somethingawful.com"
I don't know much about it, but its there.
Something Awful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_Awful)

Scotty_ffgamer
12-26-2013, 05:11 AM

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was a great one. My favorite has to be the Swordquest one just because of how interesting it was. The nerd wasn't angry or anything in the video really, just talking about the sweet contest Atari did for those games which involved awesome prizes like a golden crown or a sword that were supposedly worth 50,000 dollars if I remember right. We need cool contests with awesome prizes like that today, haha.

Niale
12-26-2013, 05:17 AM

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was a great one. My favorite has to be the Swordquest one just because of how interesting it was. The nerd wasn't angry or anything in the video really, just talking about the sweet contest Atari did for those games which involved awesome prizes like a golden crown or a sword that were supposedly worth 50,000 dollars if I remember right. We need cool contests with awesome prizes like that today, haha.

Alternative ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwrqdg-OTPE

Night Fury
12-26-2013, 05:31 AM
I think AVGN was probably the first Video Game type thing I ever watched on YouTube, that and Spooniest, so those two will always be a little bit of my 'internet history' or something.

I think he's a really funny guy, and I disagree that he hates games, I think he absolutely loves games and he seems like such a nice dude. I don't think he's stupid at all, but his character of AVGN has gotten... 'bigger' and a lot swearier more recently I think - because that's what people love it for.

One of my favourite reviews of his is the powerglove? Omg man, I cried watching that.

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2013, 05:37 AM

Then you're gonna love this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2p2Uwc3DtQ

I think there is a site, if i remember correctly "Somethingawful.com"
I don't know much about it, but its there.
Something Awful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_Awful)

Well Something Awful does a lot of stuff all over the place. It's not really my thing but I browse the Let's Play archive all the time :v

Jiro
12-26-2013, 07:03 AM
I have never really watched AVGN but, given that his character involves being angry and hating things, I can imagine his appeal is similar to that of the guy behind Rage Quit. And I appreciate that show because we've all found frustration with things. But these kinds of parodies certainly have a place in our cultural discourse, I think.

Niale
12-26-2013, 10:12 AM
YouTube is doing great i see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eVEXTZP8BY

I think AVGN was probably the first Video Game type thing I ever watched on YouTube, that and Spooniest, so those two will always be a little bit of my 'internet history' or something.

I think he's a really funny guy, and I disagree that he hates games, I think he absolutely loves games and he seems like such a nice dude. I don't think he's stupid at all, but his character of AVGN has gotten... 'bigger' and a lot swearier more recently I think - because that's what people love it for.

One of my favourite reviews of his is the powerglove? Omg man, I cried watching that.

Oh i disagree. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RvX3qlPyv4

(Ignores)
(Gets a comedy movie)
Yes, anybody wanna watch comedy, i got popcorn :)

Here, this one, perfect :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJarUoiCu4

Get three coffins ready - A Fistful of Dollars 1964 (full scene) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ_7br_3y54)
Case closed, wink ;)

You can always go back and edit a previous post if you have more to say :) ~Psychotic

Old Manus
12-26-2013, 11:19 AM
I...I...

Shorty
12-26-2013, 04:57 PM
So I'm relocating this to General Gaming.

Skyblade
12-26-2013, 06:43 PM
I never really liked AVGN's reviews. His speaking manner is a little too monotonous. He never seems to get invested in the games or concept, which in turn makes the profanity seem wildly unnecessary. I also find his reviews aren't as informative or descriptive as they could be.

I don't actively dislike AVGN. I just have a ton of reviewers that I prefer, including Spoony and ProJared.

Ghosteses
12-26-2013, 09:48 PM
so i have concluded that... for some reason you just... hate youtube? i am sorry you just come off as extremely bitter but you jump around a lot o.o just trying to understand why xD

told myself i was not going to bother replying to these threads anymore but curiosity is getting the best of me o.o your replys are so simple and hard to make out i am getting mixed feelings about the real point behind most of these threads.

not sure how posting a link to (insert popular person here in youtube sucks) is going to fuel discussion ;o

it most likely makes you look like one daft wanker and completely turn people off from the discussion. maybe you can explain? i am seriously confused!

i get that this is not in EoEo but you have to make some kind of a reply that does not seem so stubborn :x

Bolivar
12-27-2013, 12:19 AM
This thread has posts pissed off about the op getting pissed off about youtubers getting pissed off and quite frankly I'm getting pretty frustrated over the whole thing :p

I like one or two AVGN episodes, the SMB3 one for example. He's just aight.

escobert
12-29-2013, 02:46 AM
I don't watch AVGN for an actual review of a game. I watch it to laugh and remember how much I hated trying to land the goddamn plane in Top Gun. and then the motherfucker does it with a powerglove! wtf!?

Ayen
12-29-2013, 04:38 AM
I don't watch AVGN for an actual review of a game. I watch it to laugh and remember how much I hated trying to land the goddamn plane in Top Gun. and then the mothersmurfer does it with a powerglove! wtf!?

That could have been part of its ad campaign: want to land the plane in Top Gun? Get the Power Glove!

Elskidor
12-29-2013, 04:54 AM
This thread has posts pissed off about the op getting pissed off about youtubers getting pissed off and quite frankly I'm getting pretty frustrated over the whole thing :p

I don't get pissed off. I actually find threads by the OP very entertaining and look forward to them daily, because even though I disagree with nearly every thing, they bring me amusement that I just can't explain. OP been gone a couple days now...please come back! They have brought an odd but fun color to the Christmas season!

escobert
12-29-2013, 05:08 AM
I don't watch AVGN for an actual review of a game. I watch it to laugh and remember how much I hated trying to land the goddamn plane in Top Gun. and then the mothersmurfer does it with a powerglove! wtf!?

That could have been part of its ad campaign: want to land the plane in Top Gun? Get the Power Glove!

Seriously, I remember him doing just the game and couldn't land then he threw it in for shits and giggles with the power glove and landed.

Jibril
12-30-2013, 07:29 AM
I hate to break it to you guys, but AVGN is a character and the show is meant to be a blue comedy take on the stereotypical "nerd with no life." James Rolfe is a filmmaker and AVGN is his sketch comedy show.

He's Bob Saget. Speaking of which, Bob Saget did my favorite aristocrats joke. What a sick bastard.

escobert
12-31-2013, 02:56 AM
Well duh :p

Skyblade
01-03-2014, 07:57 PM
I hate to break it to you guys, but AVGN is a character and the show is meant to be a blue comedy take on the stereotypical "nerd with no life." James Rolfe is a filmmaker and AVGN is his sketch comedy show.

I'm aware of this. That doesn't mean that I find his show actually funny, or that I enjoy the character.

I'm not a fan of blue comedy in general, but I really don't think much of his version. There's nothing at all risqué or shocking about the material, so he just throws in litanies of profanity. And that's about all there is to the character and performance.

And, again, I think that the monotone he holds during the delivery hurts the show. It may be a part of the blue comedy, showing that he doesn't care or have any feelings for the profanity he's using, but it simply comes across as the character having no enthusiasm or investment in the games or his work. He never seems to care, and it really makes it hard for me to care. How can I relate to the frustrations that he's experiencing when he never actually seems to experience any (or any other emotion)?

The fact that the AVGN is a character doesn't immediately excuse all the legitimate faults that people find with the show and performance.