PDA

View Full Version : JRPG Freebie Association

Jiro
12-26-2013, 08:58 AM
What is it about Cloud Strife (and other JRPG heroes) that makes people want to give them free shit? Especially Cloud, who has to be one of the least trustworthy heroes of all time. He never returns loaned items, has split personalities, and basically facilitates the near destruction of every living thing, not to mention basically murdering his girlfriend (see: fan theories).

So: why give him shit? Especially this kid:

Like this spikey haired fuckwit wanders into your town with whatever hooligans and you just GIVE HIM YOUR SNOWBOARD?! His parents probably scraped and scrimped trying to plough eternally snowy fields just to sell some shitty fucking tomatoes so the kid could HAVE SOME FUN and he just gives it away you fucking fuck.

Psychotic
12-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Well if you think about it, they're a gang of heavily armed people who burst into houses and rummage around for potions and whatnot anyway. You'd probably give them your snowboard to try to placate them and get them to leave. If Cloud's boarding down the hill he can't very well be stealing more of your shit, can he?

Jiro
12-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Pre-emptive bribery, I see. That makes sense! But surely there are easier, cheaper, things to bribe them with. :aimsun:

Psychotic
12-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I guess the kid could've given them that giant teddy bear as an alternate costume for Cait Sith.

AssassinDX
12-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Heh, great topic, here's another example to back up your point:

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110922083658/finalfantasy/images/7/75/FF8ScreenshotCards.jpg

Ayen
12-26-2013, 05:42 PM
I know when people walk into my house uninvited I feel compelled to give them things, especially if they're attractive.

AssassinDX
12-26-2013, 05:50 PM
"Hey good looking, take my snowboard/cards/other random item, and while you're here feel free to raid that chest in the corner for health potions!"

Psychotic
12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
"And no, I have not seen a man in a black cape. Have you tried the local cosplaying group?"

Scotty_ffgamer
12-27-2013, 02:08 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a house in Ocarina of Time that you can try to enter and the person inside will just yell at you about entering people's houses and a text bubble appeared that always gave me the impression that Link was pretty offended at that.

I've always kind of wished there were more places in RPGs where people would kind of freak out about you entering their house. The only other one I can think of is if you take the money from the Owl's Tear guy in FFVIII, he won't let you drink the Owl's Tear anymore. If I remember right.

Jiro
12-27-2013, 02:51 AM
I definitely approve of games that lock you out of treasure if you are just greedy and loot everything you see. I get that you're saving the world, but come on guys. It's one of the reasons that I highly approve of Rin (FFX) still selling you equipment instead of offering it for free: the world surviving is all well and good but what if you're fucking destitute post that? Are the heroes going to open up a charity to help those they fucked over?

Heath
01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
I think if I'd injured myself and was lying in bed with the snowboard which injured me sitting there, mocking me, I'd be quite keen to get rid of it.

VeloZer0
01-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Just imagine that Cloud has his Buster Sword always prominently displayed on his back. Then the fact that no-one bats an eye at him looting their houses makes more sense.

Ayen
01-11-2014, 07:58 AM
I went into Shorty's house earlier to talk to her to get some stuff, but she just pinched my cheek and took my nose saying I was the most adorable thing ever. I've been breathing through my mouth for the past five hours now. This isn't funny anymore, GIVE ME BACK MY NOSE!

Jiro
01-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Just imagine that Cloud has his Buster Sword always prominently displayed on his back. Then the fact that no-one bats an eye at him looting their houses makes more sense.

Very astute point. I wouldn't fuck with a guy with a sword that big. Hell no.