PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Procrastination Thread

Calliope
12-28-2013, 09:39 PM
I really have not been spending today as productively as I should have, although I've been working on little bits and pieces of things. To procrastinate working on my project, I started to write something for work. To avoid doing that, I dropped into #eoff and cooked/ate lunch. Then I started cleaning my bathroom, which I've since avoided by washing the dishes and checking the letterbox. The amount of things I have clamouring for my attention is getting quite overwhelming (housework, catching up on emails, writing, playing guitar, playing FF7, exercising, researching medical stuff, reading, donating things, working on my project, working on my budget and goals for the next year) so I've decided to make this thread, and then finish the work thing first. I typically work at something for half an hour and then take a break to do a secondary thing that needs to be done but I just feel very frazzled and out of sorts today :hat:

Use this thread to either:

a) Realize you're avoiding doing something, declare your intention to immediately do it (take out the rubbish, soak your dishes, move your laundry, reply to a email/text from a family member, return your library books, etc.), and come back when you're done to collect kudos,

or

b) Humblebrag about having mastered the art of efficiency and focusing on one thing at a time in order to execute it flawlessly

PS - Have decided to put the laundry on after posting this thread and before finishing the work thing, someone just shoot me now please or send me a maid :cry:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-28-2013, 09:42 PM
I finally put my blanket in the dryer!

Still procrastinating on vacuuming and picking all the crap on my floor and doing the dishes and taking out the recycling. Instead I'm making a sammich and watching Netflix.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-28-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm procrastinating the writing I want to get done today by typing this post. And by my spending all day in chat.

Shauna
12-28-2013, 09:44 PM
I am on holiday from work. I am taking a well deserved break, and so am not procrastinating anything.

Freya
12-28-2013, 09:49 PM
EoFF is my procrastination. It's why nothing ever gets done in my life. Not having been on eoff much this week I've gotten more done in my life than in months. I even started working out, whaaat. Eoff you made me fat. It's all your fault and not my own from being a lazy bum. But when I'm not on EoFF, nothing on EoFF gets done in a timely manner. (not saying other staff doesn't do anything just lack of news although aul posted some) I haven't figured out which I want to give more attention, EoFF or not being fat. It's a inner debate.

Calliope
12-28-2013, 09:52 PM
NONE OF YOU ARE USING THIS THREAD IN THE WAY I WANTED IT TO BE USED :stare:

I put my washing in the washing machine! Now I will continue doing this unpaid work that is meant to be designated to people at least one payscale above me ;_;

Shlup
12-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I have a new tool for procrastination: Bailey. Right now I'm procrastinating Etsy work, dishes, laundry, and putting Christmas decorations away because Bailey is sleeping. Can't wake up Bailey!

Shit, she woke up while I was typing that sentence.

Freya
12-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I worked out from this thread! 20 mins of cardio thank you!

Scotty_ffgamer
12-28-2013, 10:15 PM
I've been doing my writing since I last posted if that helps at all, haha.

Slothy
12-28-2013, 10:15 PM
I promise I will use this thread for its intended purpose tomorrow when I actually have time to do the thing I've been procrastinating on for the last few days.

Jess
12-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I can't leave a job half-finished. I always want to get everything done as soon as possible. On a day off, I'll get up in the morning with the intention of eating breakfast & drinking a cup of tea, but I quickly realise several housework jobs need doing & then I don't get round to eating until lunchtime once I've finally finished everything else that needs doing.

Calliope
12-28-2013, 11:34 PM
I finished the work thing! Now to move the laundry and clean the sink.

Then...the project. Ugh.

Raistlin
12-29-2013, 12:32 AM
I am a horrific, world-class procrastinator, so I cleverly got a job where I'm too busy to have time to procrastinate.

This will be put to the test, as I brought two days worth of cases to my dad's with me for my New Years holiday break (a 5-day weekend, though more like 4 net days with travel time). I estimate that it's about 5-6 hours worth of work to prepare those dockets, which I would like to get done over the next three days.

More on topic, earlier today, I finally stopped procrastinating about doing the dishes.

Sephex
12-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Basically, I am procrastinating because

Shorty
12-29-2013, 01:26 AM
I promise I will use this thread for its intended purpose tomorrow when I actually have time to do the thing I've been procrastinating on for the last few days.

Same here. I like this thread and I hope it does good to help cure procrastination, because like Wesley I an a world-class procrastinator.

Yamaneko
12-29-2013, 05:54 AM
I am the antithesis of anti-procrastination.

Calliope
12-29-2013, 06:59 AM
I got a bunch of stuff done today...but I just put off eating my ice cream and now it's all melty :crying2:

Psychotic
12-29-2013, 12:51 PM
We took the Christmas tree down. We haven't put it away, but it's down!

Elite Lord Sigma
12-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I'd like to narrow down my game backlog by quite a bit over this winter break, but paying attention to that means procrastinating on prepping for the GRE. But if I focus on the GRE, I'll end up procrastinating on working on my senior thesis. This might be harder than I thought.

Night Fury
12-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Nm

Parker
12-29-2013, 03:14 PM
I am here to procrastinate. I have lots to do but I cannot get my head around it. I don't think this thread will help me though.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I finished my writing thing yesterday. Today I'm going to start working on another writing thing hopefully.

Del Murder
12-29-2013, 04:46 PM
I have been putting off having breakfast. I will go do that now. :cactuar:

Faris
12-29-2013, 05:00 PM
So there's this dish I used sitting on the table but I'm too cozy in my current position on the chair... but it's a dirty dish staring at me. :(

Can I get my kudos now?

fire_of_avalon
12-29-2013, 06:58 PM
I folded a BUNCH of clothes and now they're sitting on my bed AND I AM FACED WITH AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PROBLEM.

Slothy
12-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Just got around to testing the wiring job I did to a controller circuit board. I was nervous because if it didn't work I'd have to either spend a lot of time or more money getting it working. Worked flawlessly on the first attempt.

Pumpkin
12-30-2013, 04:37 PM
I need to do the laundry tonight and do some writing.

I don't even know what I'm going to do about dinner tonight so I have to figure that out.

Shorty
12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
I quit procrastinating and cleaned my kitchen last night!

Now I have laundry to do ;-;

Madame Adequate
12-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I have to change the cat litter

I'm sure y'all can envision how little motivation I have for this task

Psychotic
12-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I finally did all my filing at work! Put that paper mountain off for a month or so :shobon:

Mirage
12-30-2013, 05:06 PM
I'll write something of substance for this thread sometime later...

Jess
12-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Today, I took a load of stuff to a recycling centre. Clothes, shoes, bags, electrical goods & some other crap. Now our spare room looks much prettier. Yay! :)

Madame Adequate
12-30-2013, 06:48 PM
I replaced the cat litter! And did my daily writing and 150 words extra!

Of course in the next day or two I'm hitting a brick wall in my book that I've been trying to figure out how to deal with for weeks because I knew it was coming, but that's not procrastination it's just "how do I get this guy from here to there with this on his person?".

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-30-2013, 06:57 PM
I've been procrastinating cleaning and rearranging my house again.

I'm doing it now.
Well, I am taking a break from doing it. Made good progress so far!

Shiny
12-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Yesterday I was going to do a bunch of stuff, but then I decided to sleep and play Pokemon all day. Since tomorrow is the New Year, I need to get my stuff together. I cleaned my room, did laundry, ordered new prescription for my eyes, renewed my website, and paid my loan for the month of January.

Stuff I still need to do: Work on budget for a feature film that's been an ongoing project since late 2012. Cash my checks that have been sitting around and call my bf's aunt about the brownstone apartment. I will probably leave the later for next week. At some point I think also host B movie night or hang out with my friends that was supposed to happen a few days ago, but it was raining or something. blagh

Calliope
12-31-2013, 05:25 PM
It looks like today is destined to be a long day of doing things I don't want to do. I guess I'll start with making and eating breakfast.

Calliope
01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
I am so down today that I procrastinate even this post, having opened and closed this tab three times already. I suppose I best just get on with it, then.

Slothy
01-06-2014, 02:33 PM
I need to go to the hardware store to buy some clamps but my car is covered in ice. Oh well, time to suck it up I guess.

Cuchulainn
01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Been thinking about posting in here for a while.

Actually I'm the opposite of procrastination, whatever that is. I speak without filtering and act without deliberating and here I am. As such,, behold. This almighty impulsive fucktard you see before you.

Pumpkin
01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I have to clean, write, and play some FFXIII.

Oh, and call my mom.

Cloudane
01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm reading this thread at work. Oh the irony.

Right, no more procrastinating, it's 25 minutes, I'll.... go home.

Shorty
01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
There are about 100+ banker filing boxes that I've put off going through since I started this job. I can put it off no longer. Off I go into the cold dungeon of a basement to sort!

Pumpkin
01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Called my mom.

Calliope
01-06-2014, 09:55 PM
I vacuumed and mopped, and I dusted the skirting boards. I love my hardwood floors but damn they are a pain to keep spotless.

Pumpkin
01-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Finished up the cleaning. Now I am procrastinating making snickerdoodles because it is the first time since I've been sick that every dish in the house is clean, and I'm not ready to ruin that just yet. I'll make them tomorrow.

Pumpkin
01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Still haven't made the snickerdoodles. Will do that tonight.

Have to do that stupid barthandelus or whatever his name is fight in XIII today. Might save it for this weekend.

Calliope
01-10-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm procrastinating getting dressed. I'm procrastinating making coffee. I'm procrastinating eating. I'm procrastinating everything.

Miriel
01-11-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm usually operating on 90% procrastination mode, but that's dropped down to like 50%. I've been getting a LOT of stuff done lately. I'm wondering if its nesting instincts kicking in.

Jiro
01-11-2014, 01:17 AM
I should note that seeing this thread inspired me to sit down and write my entire article yesterday. Thank you Calliope :jess:

Pike
01-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Semi-related I have found a fan-friggin'-tastic website called HabitRPG (http://habitrpg.com) which lets you give yourself a bunch of IRL "quests" and then as you finish them you get gold, gear, and experience points for your little avatar.

I found this website last week and I have gotten so much done since then, it's amazing. 10/10 would recommend again.

Ayen
01-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm procrastinating writing my review as I do almost every week.

Motvational Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-QPDGhCtM)

I am going to get my lazy ass off this chair, I am going to take my dishes into the sink and clean them. Then I am going to march back to this desk, pull up the game I'm reviewing on Steam, pull up Open Office and I am going to knock it out of the park on the 13th!

Calliope
02-06-2014, 02:59 AM
I finally donated the little bag of clothes, and sold the box of books that was taking up my lounge floor!