PDA

View Full Version : FINAL FANTASY X-3: Definitely, Maybe

Aulayna
12-28-2013, 10:23 PM

FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 HD Remaster hit stores in Japan this week and already shockwaves are rippling through the fan community. For once that's not dramatic journalism, some actual figurative bombshells have been dropped - namely the prospect of a sequel, or even prequel, to the FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 storyline!

The rumor mill started whirring into action following an interview with series write, Kazushige Nojima, in the HD Ultimania book released alongside the HD remaster. In it Nojima briefly hits upon the topic of a third entry in the series, citing Square Enix's tried and tested "fan demand" corporate slogan. Basically if fans express enough interest then there could possibly be "new developments" in the world of Spira. He goes as far to say that he would personally like to see a sequel such as FINAL FANTASY X-3.

Technically Nojima has already penned an indrect sequel in the form of the newly released novel, FINAL FANTASY X-2.5 ~The Eternal Calm~. The novel takes place directly following the events of X-2. However, the prospect of X-3 has certainly set the community ablaze.

Further tantalising details came to light when the long-teased 30 minute voice drama featured at the end of HD Remaster's credits, was posted online. Based on what has been translated so far; Sin has somehow returned to the world of Spira. Tidus and Yuna call off their relationship as Yuna sets off on another journey to defeat Sin... again. The voice drama was written by Nojima himself and takes place after the events of X-2 which, coupled with The Eternal Calm novel, seek to expand the universe created in FINAL FANTASY X. If you actually needed a reason to pick up the HD Remaster when it hits western shores in March 2014, you've now got one!

Our forums are currently buzzing with speculation about what X-3 could entail (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x/153658-what-if-there-final-fantasy-x-3-now-breaking-news-click.html), and most posters are decidedly in the "smurf yeah, day one purchase" camp right now. What are your thoughts?

Here's the extended voice drama in all it's Japanese glory for your listening pleasure:

rpWZ4bli70Q

[Sources:
Final Fantasy X Scenario Writer On The Possibility Of Final Fantasy X-3 - Siliconera (http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/final-fantasy-x-scenario-writer-possibility-final-fantasy-x-3/)
Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster voice drama spoilers leak out, suggest sequel is inevitable | Nova Crystallis (http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/) ]

Elskidor
12-28-2013, 10:39 PM
If it is done it should be done as a prequel with Jecht, Auron and Braska. X-2 had some decent fight mechanics, but I never cared for the story, but even in FFX I looked forward to getting Jecht spheres just to watch that story unfold so I'd be on board if it was concerning this. XIII-2's story was very sloppy too, so I really hope they have some decent writers on the job and not just a few people slapping together a mess of cheese.

Ayen
12-28-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm with Elskidor on this one. If what I've seen isn't just mistranslations (that has been known to happen see Sailor Moon for examples) it sounds like what they're going for is going to be terrible and I won't pick it up if that's the case. X story is pretty much done and going back is probably the best route to take, especially if they want to bring Sin back.

Rostum
12-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Square Enix have a "fan demand" corporate slogan? Does Lightning Returns and X-3 really have much more demand than something like an FFVII/VIII/IX remake? Or even expansions on to those PS1-era worlds?

I don't know, this sounds kind of lame to me. I'd prefer a prequel to be honest.

LadyJuxtaposition
12-29-2013, 01:41 AM
I'm going with the majority. If FFX-3 was begin to existence, then surely it should be the prequel about Barska and his journey of defeating Sin. It would be interesting seeing the interactions between him, Auron, and even Jecht without those messaging spheres. In fact, I would like to see the high summoner in action! :jess:

And wait... Tidus and Yuna called off their relationship?! 0_O This cannot be! They're my OTP!! Please tell me that is only a rumor!! T-T

Omni-Odin
12-29-2013, 01:51 AM
No. Just start making XVI please.

Jiro
12-29-2013, 02:37 AM
The plot sounds weak. I'm not convinced. I just hope it doesn't fail too spectacularly.

NeoCracker
12-29-2013, 07:20 AM
...This is one of the funniest fucking things I have heard in ages. XD

blackmage_nuke
12-29-2013, 08:18 AM
There are 3 threads about FFX-3 shouldnt someone merge them or something? I have no idea which one to post in.

Anyway Im not too intrested in a Jecht Braska Auron prequel since we've already seen all the key moments hit in the Spheres and flashbacks. However I wouldnt say no to a Yevon, Yunalesca and pals prequel. Or maybe something about the Maesters.

Whatever it is I hope theres not as much stereotyped Guado hate as the other 2. THe Al Behd were villains then got their time to shine but the Guados were revealed as douchebags and forgotten.

Though I'll probably buy it even if it doesnt fulfil my wishes

Psychotic
12-29-2013, 01:01 PM
There are 3 threads about FFX-3 shouldnt someone merge them or something? I have no idea which one to post in.This is a frontsite news article - frontsite news articles are technically forums threads. So feel free to post in this or all of them!

I love the "May be a thing" headline xD And is that Sin? I forgot how ugly that fella was. Strewth.

Jinx
12-29-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't know why everyone calls Sin a whale. He looks nothing like any whales I know personally.

Ayen
12-29-2013, 07:38 PM
It's Cloverfield's mom. RUN!

Mirage
12-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Yes, SE. You should totally prove once and for all that you are completely unable to come up with actually new stuff.

The Man
12-30-2013, 12:21 AM
This sounds like really, really bad fanfiction. Bringing Sin back is pretty clear proof that Square Enix is completely out of ideas. Even the small details like the shoopuf thing are stupid.

blackmage_nuke
12-30-2013, 05:37 AM
It would be satisfying if Tidus becomes Sin and Yuna+co has to kill him. Also everyone in Spira blames her for bringing him back so she doesnt recieve the never ending love and support as she did in X and X2

Psychotic
12-30-2013, 08:07 AM
This sounds like really, really bad fanfiction. Bringing Sin back is pretty clear proof that Square Enix is completely out of ideas. Even the small details like the shoopuf thing are stupid.No way, I think the Shoopuf thing is neat. Mostly because Shoopufs rule, but also it's an intriguing mystery and it's a happy story if The Last Shoopuf gets its friend back :3:

maybee
12-30-2013, 11:22 AM
It would be satisfying if Tidus becomes Sin and Yuna+co has to kill him. Also everyone in Spira blames her for bringing him back so she doesnt recieve the never ending love and support as she did in X and X2

...... I...... I want this to happen.

Imagine the drama

http://replygif.net/thumbnail/1112.gif

Jinx
12-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I said in one of the other things that's it seems pretty obvious Tidus is turning into Sin, which is why he's damaged all of the time--of course he's going to try to fight it. I also think his new character design with Jecht's hairdo might kind of indicate he's going the same path.

Psychotic
12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Yuna's Final Aeon.

Which means for her...

Jinx
12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
YUNIE'S GONNA DIE, Y'KNOW!

Ayen
12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Then be brought back in X-4.

Aulayna
12-30-2013, 06:15 PM
X-4 will come out after FINAL FANTASY X|X-2|X-3 8K UHD Re-Re-Master

Mirage
12-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Then be brought back in X-4.

And then we get a prequel, X-0, for so to defeat Tidusin in X-5.

Cloudane
12-31-2013, 02:39 AM
FFX is my fav alongside VII, but not sure I want this. I'm afraid of them ruining it. X-2 closed things pretty well - leave it be.

Pumpkin
12-31-2013, 02:46 AM
I can kinda see the point of people who love this game and want to see it left alone. I like X but it certainly isn't my favorite. I can only imagine how I would feel if they made a IX-2 and did a bad job. Sadness. I love IX but it ended well and that is why I don't really want a sequel. It ended well, leave it alone :P.

I am excited to see what the gameplay would be like for X-3.

Cloudane
01-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Indeed.

I was excited for Advent Children, as VII ended very poorly IMO. Left us with so many questions 6_9

Shaibana
01-06-2014, 02:47 PM
so mean that there is 3-4 months between the release in Japan and here in Europe.
It comes on 21st of march (yaay, my b-day present :P) here :l

have to wait soooo loooooong D:
this is THE oppertunity for me to finaly finish this game!

The Man
01-07-2014, 08:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xoGV64H.gif

And no, the shoopuf thing is stupid and unoriginal too. Square Enix already did the "last of his kind" thing with Red XIII. Rehashing their old ideas, especially for a minor part of an original game, isn't particularly impressive to me.

Skyblade
01-08-2014, 02:08 AM
They're going to have to play very carefully with this. If they undone the actions of the previous games (for example, breaking up Tidus and Yuna, and bringing back Sin), they're going to have the whole "what the fans want" thing backfire on them, because that's not what most of the fans want at all.

Actually, though, I'm rather interested in the recurrence of Sin. Simply because I think it would shatter Spira once and for all. People have been living with the spiral for thousands of years, and then they finally move on and accept the Eternal Calm. And then Sin comes back again. Despair would completely and utterly consume Spira. It would have a tone more like that of Majora's Mask or FFVI's World of Ruin than Spira. It would be a world without even a possibility of hope. Everything that has been created, every tradition held on to, they'll just be gone. The world would have no future, nothing to look forward to. Some people would just give up, others would form weird cults. It would be extremely fun to watch and play through that Spira.

If we were ever to get it. But, unfortunately, we can be pretty sure that isn't going to be the case. Square just isn't up to that caliber of writing. They won't adjust Spira that much, (since it would be such a radical departure from the "fan demand") and we won't see that much impact on the people or their beliefs. Instead, we're going to get a bunch of nonsense story lines and pathetic character moments as they destroy everything that made the game and the world something people loved.

Cloudane
01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
We all know that "what the fans want" (according to S-E) is probably just for the jailbait to be dressing even more slutty and even closer to naked, if that's at all possible, and shakey-shaking their way up to a token boss with as much as possible hanging out.

The more I think about it, the less I want to see the main characters again. They're done with, and in my headcanon they lived happily ever after. I don't need to see Tidus and Yuna having relationship problems, Wakka and Lulu's kid growing up, Kimahri being challenged by a bug eyed Ronso called Gowron or whatever. I'm bored just thinking about it!

If it did something as a "next generation" in the same world with new characters it could be good I suppose, if it's done well. Fast forward us to when everything is high tech again and there are airships everywhere and we're following the great-great-grandchildren of the late great High Summoner Yuna.

Old Manus
01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't know why everyone calls Sin a whale. He looks nothing like any whales I know personally.How many whales do you know personally? :gator:

Pumpkin
01-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Actually, though, I'm rather interested in the recurrence of Sin. Simply because I think it would shatter Spira once and for all. People have been living with the spiral for thousands of years, and then they finally move on and accept the Eternal Calm. And then Sin comes back again. Despair would completely and utterly consume Spira. It would have a tone more like that of Majora's Mask or FFVI's World of Ruin than Spira.

I doubt they could pull of that feels with a Final Fantasy X game. I don't think they could get it to work properly.

Rocket Edge
01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
A prequel would be kinda boring to me compared to a sequel. We already know whats going to happen. :/

black orb
02-01-2014, 08:23 PM
>>> Who cares about the plot, absolutely nothing can be worse than FF13 and all its incarnations..

FF X-3! make it happen SE!.. and dont force me to buy a PS4, so make something for PS3 and vita too..:luca:

Mirage
02-01-2014, 09:14 PM
nah, if development starts now, they should probably make it for PS4

even if FF13 didn't have a good story, that doesn't mean future games shouldn't try to have good stories

Cloudane
02-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Please DO give me a reason to get a PS4. I want one!

Ayen
02-02-2014, 03:15 AM
even if FF13 didn't have a good story, that doesn't mean future games shouldn't try to have good stories

Quoted for truth.

black orb
02-02-2014, 06:43 PM
>>> Yeah in the future pigs could fly too, with SE right now Im just betting on gameplay and nice graphics..:luca:

Pete for President
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
>>> Yeah in the future pigs could fly too, with SE right now Im just betting on gameplay and nice graphics..:luca:

:greenie:

black orb
02-04-2014, 06:55 AM

:greenie:
>>> Wow, that was harsh..:luca:

Cloudane
02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
It's like you people have never seen a pigasus before.

black orb
02-06-2014, 07:41 AM
>>> Pigasus.. lets put that into the FF X-3 bestiary :up:..:luca:

Mercen-X
02-08-2014, 07:33 AM
A prequel would be kinda boring to me compared to a sequel. We already know whats going to happen. :/
Crisis Core

Sephiroth
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Has anyone noticed how Seymour's Character Theme/another version of it plays at ~21:50 in the audio drama?

I hope that means what I think. Main villain themes always come in Final Fantasy only when they are connected to the Main Villain.

Hopefully it is time for a real final battle with the main antagonist who succeeded in what he wanted:

085 - Seymour Battle / Fight With Seymour ã€ã‚·ãƒ¼ãƒ¢ã‚¢ãƒãƒˆãƒ«ã€‘ [Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjDvosAj6ow)

Jinx
02-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Omg, I would be so over the moon if they bring Seymour back. I see no reason why they won't.

Sephiroth
02-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Sin comes back so there is no reason why he couldn't. Both have been sent by Yuna. Maybe he is even the reason why Sin comes back as he already is Sin, for example and has managed to return. I would love a story with him again. I missed fighting him in the Via Infinito. Kinoc, Jyscal, Yunalesca and Zejon but not Seymour.

This would be one epic final battle with a new ultimate form for him.

Sephiroth
02-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Apparently there are no definite plans - for now (artwork for Tidus, Yuna, Audio Drama and Novel are pretty obvious if you ask me but better not announcing something too soon):

"Seit wir uns wieder mit Final Fantasy X und X-2 beschäftigten, welche vor über 10 Jahren veröffentlicht worden sind, führten der Szenarienschreiber Kazushige Nojima und Charakterdesigner Tetsuya Nomura eine Diskussion und dachten, das das HD Remaster eine gute Möglichkeit für sie wäre, diese zusätzliche Geschichte anzufügen. Aber die Einbeziehung der Audio Episode hatte nichts damit zu tun, das wir Pläne für ein Final Fantasy X-3 haben."

Translation:

"Since we've been busy with Final Fantasy X and X-2, both released over 10 years ago, both Scenario Writer Kazushige Nojima and Character Designer Tetsuya Nomura held a discussion and thought about the HD Remaster giving a good opportunity to add this extra story. However the inclusion of the Audio Episode did not have anything to do with us having plans about a Final Fantasy X-3."

Source: http://final-fantasy.de/content.php/1788-Kein-Final-Fantasy-X-3-und-kein-Final-Fantasy-XII-HD-in-Planung