PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Holiday Fingerfoods!

Jinx
12-29-2013, 05:01 PM
I know Christmases are over, but NYE is quickly approaching! My rents are coming over for NYE/NYD, and I need some suggestions on grubby foods to pig out on. So far between my mom and I we've got:

Fried chicken burritos
Velveeta and Rotel cheese dip
Bacon-wrapped Lil' Smokies

I was thinking of maybe doing the meatballs in BBQ sauce staple as well as homemade jalapeno poppers (fresh jalapenos scooped out with a cream cheese/crushed pineapple filling, wrapped in bacon and baked.

Any suggestions? What are you eating for New Year's?

Shauna
12-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Any cheese + crackers = most glorious snacks ever.

fire_of_avalon
12-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't have any plans for NYE yet, so probably I will go to bed early BUT a really delicious and yummy and EASY meatball recipe is as follows.

*The number of meatballs your crockpot can comfortably contain.
*1 medium bottle of your favorite bbq sauce, storebought or homemade. I use Sweet Baby Rays if I do storebought because it is tasty and cheap as all.
*1 small jar of your favorite jelly. I generally use grape jelly but strawberry, apple, orange marmalade and peach jelly are all really good in this recipe too.

Set your crockpot on low and dump everything in together. Stir occasionally to prevent sticky burny mess. After about 4-6 hours devour them on toothpicks, with rice or with soft white rolls.

Calliope
12-29-2013, 08:57 PM
ASPARAGUS ROLLS <3

Minami
12-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Vol au vents! Pretty simple to make if you can buy premade cases where you live and you can fill them with whatever. Being veggie we usually fill them with egg mayo or cheese and onion mix, but you can be as adventurous as you like

Shorty
12-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Spinach dip and French bread. So damn good!

Also, boiled artichokes with some little melted butter dishes. You just pull off a few leaves, grab some butter and you're good to go.

Fruit stuck with toothpicks is a little fancy and would be good to fill space.

Cheese quesadillas with some bowls of salsa. Everyone loves quesadillas.

That's all I got right now.

Psychotic
12-30-2013, 09:45 AM
PIGS IN BLANKETS! :)

Mini scotch eggs.

LunarWeaver
12-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Make a meal of Vodka I say.

The Captain
12-30-2013, 05:43 PM
I usually make little eggplant parm dishes (For the vegetarians), any form of dip is always a good option and little pizza bagels are always a hit at NYE parties for me,

Take care all.

Shorty
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Bruscetta! I've completely forgotten about bruscetta.

Also, tiny little sandwiches. Everyone loves tiny little sandwiches.

Jess
12-30-2013, 06:08 PM
wtf is a mini scotch egg
A scotch egg is a hard boiled egg, wrapped in sausage meat, rolled in breadcrumbs & then baked. Yum. Mini scotch eggs are small eggs. Or sometimes quail eggs.

My favourite finger foods: Vegetable spring rolls. Duck spring rolls. With hoisin dip and sweet chilli dip. Homemade sausage rolls. Mini pizzas! Mini Yorkshire puddings with a pig & blanket inside. Garlic ciabatta. I love party food!

What I will actually be eating on NYE will be something quick & easy before going out to a bar. And probably something horrible from a takeaway on the way home!

noxious.sunshine
12-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Bacon wrapped walnuts, my mom's cheese ball, mixed nuts, assorted olives (green, kalamata, black)

Buffalo Chicken Dip w/tortilla chips.. it's gluten free unless there's gluten in the ranch, but I don't think there is.

- 2 pkgs precooked grilled chicken breast pieces (like Tyson southwest kind, in the lunch meat section)
- 2 8 oz. Blocks of cream cheese
- Small Bottle Frank's hot sauce
- Small bottle Ranch dressing
- Small bag Shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter.

Let the cream cheese soften and spread it into the bottom of a baking pan (either 9x9 ir 9x13).

In a skillet, melt butter, add hot sauce and chicken. Shred the chicken with a couple of forks and sautee in the skillet until heated through.

Spread a thin layer of ranch on top of the cream cheese then add the chicken/hit sauce mix. Add another thin layer of ranch followed by more hot sauce drizzled over top. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over all that and bake uncovered @ 350 for about 20 min or until the cheese is melted and gooey.

serve with tortilla chips (scoops work great)

... You could also get a tub of hummus and serve it with veggies.

Shiny
12-31-2013, 07:22 AM

This with sauerkraut. I rarely eat pork anymore but I will devour these if I see them. Deviled eggs too nom nom

Psychotic
12-31-2013, 01:35 PM
wtf is a mini scotch eggyour life is meaningless and I am sorry, I am so sorry.

Psychotic
12-31-2013, 02:05 PM
I just had a full sized one for lunch. It was the business! Yum.

Psychotic
12-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Good lord, if only! It was part if a very quick lunch with some smoked salmon slices that I got for cheap after Christmas. It was delicious! Do we have a fish thread? We need one.

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
A good Scotch egg is fucking massive, though. About the size of a big man's fist, but it hurts twice as much to take it to the face.

Psychotic
01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
...explain the origins behind your knowledge of this.

blackmage_nuke
01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
I love anything with spinach and ricotta.

Or just party pies

Parker
01-04-2014, 10:46 AM
scotch eggs are amazing but like 99% of sausage rolls seem to be awful. its so hard to get a good sausage roll these days!

Bubba
01-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Bubba
01-04-2014, 01:26 PM
That's simply a sausage wrapped in pastry. Which is also smurfing delicious.

Shauna
01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Which is different from a roll and sausage. ;)

Bubba
01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Which is different from a roll and sausage. ;)

A Morton's roll with lorn sausage and a can of Irn Bru is the breakfast of champions.

Quindiana Jones
01-05-2014, 09:32 AM
...explain the origins behind your knowledge of this.

Scotland, innit? :gator:

Parker
01-05-2014, 10:04 AM
It's gotta be noted that like 99% of store-bought sausage rolls are like an awful grey dry meat tube wrapped in tasteless pastry. The meat has visible chunks of gristle and other matter in it. THe only way to make them somewhat palatable is to heat it up in a microwave but that means the whole thing kinda sweats and you get this moist floppy thing that you can't pick up bare-handed because you get a weird odour on your fingers that takes 4 to 5 hand washings to go away.

It could be a great food but 99% of the time it's just an excuse for some kind of meat company to get rid of the nasty meat shite they have left over from making real food

Bubba
01-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Mmm... I could really go for a grey, dry, meat tube wrapped in tasteless, sweaty pastry right now.

Parker
01-05-2014, 10:24 AM
*whips out dilz*

Bubba
01-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Now that sounds fucking spectacular. Our sack of tasteless meat cannot compete.