PDA

View Full Version : Emulating games you own

Pumpkin
12-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I want to take screen grabs of a game I own and paid (a lot) of money for, so I was wondering what people thought of emulating games they own. Is it wrong or immoral? Really I just want some screen grabs and it is hard to do that on the PlayStation.

Slothy
12-29-2013, 06:08 PM
While technically illegal, I don't believe for one second it's actually wrong or immoral. Hell, if I know the game you're thinking of (and I'm pretty sure I do) the company that made it doesn't sell it anymore, never will sell it in its original form, and has never bothered to re-release it, so it's not like they're losing any money.

escobert
12-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Nope. 90% of the games I emulate I owned at one point. I had a ton of PSone square games stolen from me like black label Tactics, Vagrant Story ect. I'll never pay the money people want for them now so I use roms of them when I want to play.

Iceglow
12-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Technically, only the use of a bios file from a console other than one you own is illegal. If you own an official copy of the game on disc, and used the bios files from your own PSX then it'd be fully legal to use an emulator. However, my personal take on something is; If you've got a copy of the game then your own PSX bios or not it's still fine.

Karifean
12-29-2013, 06:36 PM
I have no moral qualms about emulating games I already own. It just happens to be more convenient for me to play it on my PC at the moment, I could still just get my PS2 from back home.

NeoExdeath
12-30-2013, 03:01 AM
No problem at all. i play a lot of classical and modern systems, everyone but PS3 I have chipped or a flash card so I can play burnt copies to preserve my legit ones.

Jiro
12-30-2013, 07:12 AM
I've bought a bunch of games I only encountered through emulation. So it's probably financially beneficial for them to let me :monster: