PDA

View Full Version : do you ever wake up + suffer from some sort of short-term amnesia?

lalunae
12-29-2013, 10:56 PM
this probably sounds a lot more dramatic than intended.
i can only assume we've all been there though,
you wake up in your own bed, your own room + as far as you were aware you had no alcohol/other substances.
yet you still wake up feeling confused to no end??
like this morning i was almost even asking who i was, for a good thirty seconds i had NO idea what was going on.
i'm not a sleep expert but left to my own conclusion i'd say i was stuck between the waking + the dreaming world.

lucid dreaming is a whole different subject altogether + it's wonderful /dreamy sigh.

Ayen
12-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Can't say I experience any of that. The only thing I tend to forget after waking up is the dream I just had, but that happens to everyone. Not sure if I ever lucid dream, unless changing minor details about the dream with a thought counts. I read that you can only lucid dream when you're aware you're dreaming but... I'm always aware when I'm dreaming. It's always blurry and things tend to feel distant than that of real life.

Parker
12-29-2013, 11:04 PM
i used to wake up having a seizure but now i have pills to stop that and i just wake up as normal now

Lonely Paper Star
12-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Once, my body-clock was completely off. XD So, I woke up from a nap, in the evening. My dad came to get me for dinner and I argued with him for five minutes how it was 5:30 in the morning and that I needed to get ready for school.

lalunae
12-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Can't say I experience any of that. The only thing I tend to forget after waking up is the dream I just had, but that happens to everyone. Not sure if I ever lucid dream, unless changing minor details about the dream with a thought counts. I read that you can only lucid dream when you're aware you're dreaming but... I'm always aware when I'm dreaming. It's always blurry and things tend to feel distant than that of real life.

you're lucky!
i mean, it's only a slight inconvenience but i quite like to wake up with a somewhat clear mind, u'no?
i find if i don't write down my dreams or tell somebody within the first ten minutes of waking up i'll forget it, very few stick in my mind...unless they feel familiar.

that almost sounds like lucid dreaming, but as you said it's being able to control what you're doing.
if you keep that in mind, i'm pretty sure you'd be able to dream however you want tho'

Scotty_ffgamer
12-29-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't ever get confused upon waking up really. Usually, the first thoughts I have upon waking up are either "Okay, go through every detail of my dream" and/or to immediately think about what I need to do to get ready for what I have going on.

I have woken up with sleep paralysis before, and that was scary and confusing. I had no idea what was going on because I couldn't move my body. I just went back to sleep with the thought "Well, if I am now paralyzed for life, no use losing sleep over it." It was weird.

Edit: Also, I don't enjoy lucid dreaming. I always find me controlling dreams makes things far less interesting than what my dreams do by themselves. I can lucid dream quite easily, though.

lalunae
12-29-2013, 11:10 PM
i used to wake up having a seizure but now i have pills to stop that and i just wake up as normal now

that sounds absolutely horrific holy moly.

Once, my body-clock was completely off. XD So, I woke up from a nap, in the evening. My dad came to get me for dinner and I argued with him for five minutes how it was 5:30 in the morning and that I needed to get ready for school.

hahaha!
i feel u
it's like when i first arrived in australia when i stayed there for a couple of months
jetlag is so bizarre, except i had absolutely no idea what time it was?
i'd be waking up at silly o'clock in the morning + being absolutely convinced i'd slept for an obscene amount of time yet still not really know where i was at.

i try not to nap for that reason ;c
but sometimes they're necessary...+so gooood.

lalunae
12-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I don't ever get confused upon waking up really. Usually, the first thoughts I have upon waking up are either "Okay, go through every detail of my dream" and/or to immediately think about what I need to do to get ready for what I have going on.

I have woken up with sleep paralysis before, and that was scary and confusing. I had no idea what was going on because I couldn't move my body. I just went back to sleep with the thought "Well, if I am now paralyzed for life, no use losing sleep over it." It was weird.

Edit: Also, I don't enjoy lucid dreaming. I always find me controlling dreams makes things far less interesting than what my dreams do by themselves. I can lucid dream quite easily, though.

it takes me a good hour or so before i manage to wake up completely + that's usually with the aid of caffeine.
i can only half-think my plans through, ha.

that must be quite terrifying, even if you're aware of what it is, i think. most people would think the worst, that's certainly an interesting way of looking at it. i haven't thought about what i would do, i can just hope it doesn't so i don't freak out...or i'll just try + remember what you said.

that's cool c: i don't think i'm trained (is that the right word?) enough to control them completely.
i vaguely remember in one dream i was able to fly freely, i tried again a few days later + i was completely useless. so clumsy + flying into trees. SO FRUSTRATING.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 12:15 AM
No.

Maybe you should see a doctor if this happens to you frequently.

Jet lag doesn't affect me a whole lot either. Takes me a day or two to adjust, and no confusion or anything is involved.

Also, your posts will be a lot easier to read if you use a normal font size.

lalunae
12-30-2013, 12:34 AM
No.

Maybe you should see a doctor if this happens to you frequently.

Jet lag doesn't affect me a whole lot either. Takes me a day or two to adjust, and no confusion or anything is involved.

Also, your posts will be a lot easier to read if you use a normal font size.

ughgh sorry, i'm terrible when it comes to font sizes like seriously bad.

but oh no it doesn't happen often at all, but when it does i think nothing of it because it's mostly just being really groggy u'no?

only long haul flights get me bad...+ who am i to refuse sleep, it's glorious.

escobert
12-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Nope never had anything like the op happen before.

Ayen
12-30-2013, 12:46 AM

you're lucky!
i mean, it's only a slight inconvenience but i quite like to wake up with a somewhat clear mind, u'no?
i find if i don't write down my dreams or tell somebody within the first ten minutes of waking up i'll forget it, very few stick in my mind...unless they feel familiar.

that almost sounds like lucid dreaming, but as you said it's being able to control what you're doing.
if you keep that in mind, i'm pretty sure you'd be able to dream however you want tho'

Only lucid dreaming I managed to do was making a tornado appear outside my house and having two guys transform into Alucard and Anderson while battling it out in my church. I don't even want to think about the collateral damage that happened after I woke up.

noxious.sunshine
12-30-2013, 01:12 AM
I have Alzheimer's, I'm pretty sure.

I forget what I tell people and wind up repeating stories multiple times.

Shorty
12-30-2013, 03:55 AM
No one will be surprised that I experience this.

One time I forgot where I was and for some reason tried to launch myself off the bed with my eyes closed, thinking the bed faced the other way. I slammed straight to the wall and saw stars for a while after.

Slothy
12-30-2013, 04:10 AM
Closest I can remember coming to this was waking up one morning in University at about 4am. For some reason I thought it was time to get up, got out of bed, turned on the TV and found the 90's X-Men cartoon on Teletoon. It was a weekend so just getting up and watching TV was pretty normal. Took me a good 15 minutes to catch on to what time it was and realize I should still be asleep.

Needless to say I finished the episode before going back to bed.

Jiro
12-30-2013, 07:06 AM
No one will be surprised that I experience this.

One time I forgot where I was and for some reason tried to launch myself off the bed with my eyes closed, thinking the bed faced the other way. I slammed straight to the wall and saw stars for a while after.

I've done this before. Usually happens after I rearrange the room or if I'm someone new though.

Psychotic
12-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Once or twice I've woken up and thought I was at home for about 5 seconds when stating elsewhere but that's about it. I'm boring, sorry! :shobon:

Calliope
12-30-2013, 08:56 AM
No.

Calliope
12-30-2013, 08:57 AM
No, I don't think so.

Shiny
12-30-2013, 02:14 PM
I only get confused if I wake up and I'm not in a familiar place. It only tends to happen if I fall asleep on a couch at a friend's. I'd have to be really tired to fall asleep on a couch.

Iceglow
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
As someone who regularly has trouble with his sleeping pattern and ability to perform that task at all. I can confirm that I've woken many a time not understanding the time, day, date, what I was meant to be doing, or when I actually fell asleep. I'll remember stuff from earlier in the evening but after a certain point it's just black. I know I was up later because I'll have had a full blown convo with someone online. Or I'll be a hundred pages deeper in to a book I'm reading but I'll have no recollection of the events themselves.

I believe it has to do with your body clock, sleep requirements and how deprived you've been prior to the sleep. It's not a nice feeling and it's hard to explain to your office boss. That being said, my Doctor last time I mentioned it said it was fairly routine but didn't explain it at all. I'm not settled by that nugget of information one iota.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 02:54 PM
The only times I am confused when I wake up is if I wake up somewhere I do not remember going to bed. This happens... never, really.

lalunae
12-30-2013, 11:11 PM
As someone who regularly has trouble with his sleeping pattern and ability to perform that task at all. I can confirm that I've woken many a time not understanding the time, day, date, what I was meant to be doing, or when I actually fell asleep. I'll remember stuff from earlier in the evening but after a certain point it's just black. I know I was up later because I'll have had a full blown convo with someone online. Or I'll be a hundred pages deeper in to a book I'm reading but I'll have no recollection of the events themselves.

I believe it has to do with your body clock, sleep requirements and how deprived you've been prior to the sleep. It's not a nice feeling and it's hard to explain to your office boss. That being said, my Doctor last time I mentioned it said it was fairly routine but didn't explain it at all. I'm not settled by that nugget of information one iota.

it's such a bizarre feeling, but if it's down to sleeping patterns mine changes drastically when i've got time off work. other than that i'd have no explanation for it.
waking up feeling compos mentis is hard enough let alone not remembering who you even are or where you're at.
sleep's an odd thing.

lalunae
12-30-2013, 11:12 PM
falling asleep on the couch always reminds me of when i used to do that as a kid then get carried to bed
why can't this happen now?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Sometimes I go to sleep turned around on the opposite side of the bed than I normally do, and when I wake up i'm surprised to a see a different dresser than usual for a second. That's about it.

Sometimes I'll jump out of bed thinking I'm late, only to look at the clock and realize I can sleep for a few more hours. This is a victory.