PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Reading Goals

Shorty
12-30-2013, 04:25 AM
I've made a goal to read a minimum of thirty new books in the coming year. I have such a backlog that I need to get through (hello Goodreads wishlist), and I hope that slapping them down on a goals list will help me power through it a little bit. Here are twenty-one books I've decided I will read, with room for nine (or more) improv choices:

Susanna Clark - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
George RR Martin - A Clash of Kings
George RR Martin - A Storm of Swords
George RR Martin - A Feast for Crows
George RR Martin - A Dance with Dragons
Robert A. Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land
Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted
Chuck Palahniuk - Snuff
Chuck Palahniuk - Pygmy
Chuck Palahniuk - Tell-All
Chuck Palahniuk - Damned
Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Kurt Vonnegut - God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five

What books do you know you want to read next year? Let's motivate eachother! Don't forget to put your reviews in the Currently Reading thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/lounge/152090-currently-reading.html) as you go!

I will begin with Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell as soon as I finish A Game of Thrones. I hoped to be done by the new year, but I don't think I can do 450 pages in two days when I've got work and games to play ;-;

Calliope
12-30-2013, 08:59 AM
I'd like to read less books by old white men, but they're just so addictive, dammit.

Pike
12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Well as I mentioned in the other thread my goal is six this year, not counting the one I'm currently working on. I figure one book every two months is doable. I hope so, anyway. :shobon: Between writing, working, and gaming it's really tough for me to get in reading time.

Tasura
12-30-2013, 10:36 PM
For a start I plan to make my way through my digital Pratchett collection, as I mentioned in the other thread, which gives me 48 books (Not counting Discworld spin-offs or stand alone novels) and if each book is 400 pages or less, and depending on my work schedule I should be able to finish those in 3-4 months, if a fair amount are over 400 pages than it might take an extra couple of weeks. After that it'll be another random author.

Shorty
12-30-2013, 10:38 PM
I've always wanted to read Terry Pratchett! He does some collaborations with Neil Gaiman I'd be interested in reading. Tell me what you think!

Jinx
12-30-2013, 10:42 PM
I want to read at least 75 books next year.

Shorty
12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
List some of them out! That's what this thread is for :jess: Then you can feel the satisfaction crossing them out.

Minami
12-30-2013, 10:50 PM
I have the same goal as Jinx. I didn't read so many this year but most of the books i have read have been extremely long, such as A song of Ice and Fire series and the Earth's Children series

Tasura
12-30-2013, 11:41 PM
I've always wanted to read Terry Pratchett! He does some collaborations with Neil Gaiman I'd be interested in reading. Tell me what you think!

I quite enjoy Pratchett, though I've mainly only read some of the early Discworld books at this point, but I do have Good Omens (his colab with Gaiman) so I'll probably read it after the first 2 Long Earth books (and hope that the third one comes out early 2014 as opposed to late).

Jinx
12-30-2013, 11:45 PM
List some of them out! That's what this thread is for :jess: Then you can feel the satisfaction crossing them out.

Girl, that is what Goodreads is for. xD

Okay, besides reading 75+ books, I'd like to read The Lord of the Rings again. I hated it before, but it's been years since I attempted a read. It's currently on hold at the library for me!

Del Murder
12-31-2013, 07:43 AM
I'd like to read less books by old white men, but they're just so addictive, dammit.
There are other books?

My goal is to finish the book I'm currently reading, which is massive (Fall of Giants) and then read the next in the Game of Thrones line (Storm of Swords). I might read the sequel to Fall of Giants though I'd like to throw in something random in between like Gone Girl, which my wife has been pestering me to read. I usually let her pick most of my books because she has great taste in this stuff. :snuggle:

Parker
12-31-2013, 10:07 PM
gonna get some more delillo, franzen, DFW etc done. maybe some more pynchon.

no set goals because i will have a busy ass year and might not have much time to read.

need to get into some hemingway and other drunk old dudes too

Pumpkin
12-31-2013, 10:12 PM
I plan to read more. I want to finish out the Divergent series. One of my goals this year is to read a Discworld book that I haven't read yet. I've read most of them so it will be a challenge. I'm thinking Mort. My mom said its a really good book.

I would like to re-read Salem's Lot because it is my favorite Steven King book and I haven't read it since my friend borrowed it (9 years ago) so if I can find it I'll re-read it. If not, I'll go for Needful Things, my second favorite.

Maybe also try out some of those Star Trek books that my boyfriend owns.

Shorty
12-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh man, I have Salem's Lot and I've been meaning to read it! baw, so many books ;-;

Shlup
12-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Goal: Read a book. I don't think I read a single book in all of 2013.

Del Murder
12-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Everybody Poops doesn't count.

Shorty
01-01-2014, 01:18 AM

This year is the most reading I've done since like 2008 when I slammed through a bunch of Chuck Palahniuk books for the first time.

I'd like to start Saga of the Seven Suns sometime next year as well, but I think making a goal to complete the series would be ridiculously ambitious.

Shlup
01-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Everybody Poops doesn't count.
Is this the part where I get to lord my parental experience over you after having a whole six months worth? Pfft, we'll see how much time you have for literature soon, buddy!

This year is the most reading I've done since like 2008 when I slammed through a bunch of Chuck Palahniuk books for the first time.

I'd like to start Saga of the Seven Suns sometime next year as well, but I think making a goal to complete the series would be ridiculously ambitious.

That's a good idea--maybe I'll grab a couple more Palahniuks.

Shorty
01-01-2014, 01:51 AM
I would suggest Invisible Monsters if you have not already read it!

Shlup
01-01-2014, 01:57 AM
I have. Survivor is my favorite though.

Shorty
01-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Survivor is good stuff.

Bolivar
01-01-2014, 04:04 AM
I want to read more of the recent fantasy classics like The First Law trilogy, the Aspect Emperor, and the Malazan Book of the Fallen (although it's much more divisive).

A couple translations of series I'm into are coming in 2014, at least 1-2 a piece in The Accursed Kings and the Witcher/ Ciri saga. I'll tear through them as they release as I have throughout 2013.

The World of Ice and Fire should be coming 2014 as well and should be incredible. Obviously I would love to read The Winds of Winter but that's really not up to me.

Some Gene Wolfe and Jack Vance would do as well. I also want to read The Bible I'm just not sure which version is right for me.

fire_of_avalon
01-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Eventually I'm going to finish Storm of Swords. I don't read nearly as much as I used to so I need to go to my Goodreads account and see what's there I haven't read yet.

Shiny
01-04-2014, 11:54 PM
I need to finish Infinite Jest. I also need to start and finish Girl with a Dragon Tattoo and The Road. The later, I probably won't bother with for a while because I'm not in the mood for depressing things. The last books I've read was a dark comedy of short stories and a psychology book and that was during the summer.

Depression Moon
01-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Finish Y the Last Man and read at least one other Afro-futurist novel.

How is that possible for a working person or a student?

Jinx
01-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Finish Y the Last Man and read at least one other Afro-futurist novel.

How is that possible for a working person or a student?

I'm unemployed currently, but even when I was work 50 hours a week, I was keeping up a good pace. It equals out to about 1.44 books a week, which really isn't that much.

Freya
01-05-2014, 05:47 AM
My goal is 50 books.

My list so far is:

Space Chronicles by Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
How to Run with a Naked Werwolf by Molly Harper
John Dies at the End by David Wong
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Life as We Knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer
This the world we live in by Susan Beth Pfeffer
the dead & the gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy
Supervolcano: ERUPTION by Harry Turtledove
Mass Effect: Ascension by Drew Karpyshyn
Mass Effect: Retribution by Drew Karpyshyn

yeah that's all the book I own I haven't gotten around to reading, well besides the molly harper one. That just came out and I need it. But yeah. My reading is all over the place. That's what is currently in my house I haven't read. Opps.

Jess
01-05-2014, 11:44 AM
I will be finishing the Game of Thrones series. I'm 84% done with A Storm of Swords (Part 2), and I'll probably finish it today or tomorrow & start on A Feast for Crows.

I have no idea what I'm going to read when I'm finished :(

Vanicent
01-05-2014, 12:33 PM
So far I have nine books that I plan to read this year:

1) Traitor Spy 2: The Rogue by Trudi Canavan,
2) Traitor Spy 3: The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan
3) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
4) The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
5) The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
6) The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
7) The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
8) Transformers Retribution by David J. Williams & Mark S. Williams
9) Transformers: The Covenant of Primus by Justina Robson

I don't have a particular reading order after The Traitor Spy Trilogy. I read The Black Magician Trilogy years ago and wanted to read the sequel trilogy, but I waited until I had all three. Also, I finished off the first book - The Ambassador's Mission - last night.

I remember reading most of those as they came out, and I found I couldn't put them down or wait for the next book. I suppose it's like any hobby: you can only enjoy it as long as you have the time for it. But, I would recommend the Saga (and it's prequel of Veiled Alliances) as they are, in my opinion, very well written and with a variety of characters that keeps things varied.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 06:11 PM

I remember reading most of those as they came out, and I found I couldn't put them down or wait for the next book. I suppose it's like any hobby: you can only enjoy it as long as you have the time for it. But, I would recommend the Saga (and it's prequel of Veiled Alliances) as they are, in my opinion, very well written and with a variety of characters that keeps things varied.

I had a group of friends who were very into it a few years ago and they felt the same way - they couldn't put them down. I had to hear all this stuff about these awesome wars and a robot villain or some shit and it all sounded so awesome but I had no idea what was going on :stare: It was a bit after the last one came out in 2008, I think. I'm glad you enjoyed them! Perhaps when I get into them I'll seek you out and we can discuss them. :jess:

Ashi
01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
My goal is to read 20 books but I haven't decided on the titles so far.

My first book is Spider's Web by Agatha Christie. And probably Veronica Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho next. But not sure what else beyond that. I have a huge list of want-to-be-read on GoodReads so I guess I'll go through that when the time comes and update here accordingly.

Last year's goal was 20 books but I only read 10!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Alright. I am finally going to hop in and set a list down.

1. Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead finished
2. Merlin by Stephen Lawhead
3. Arthur by Stephen Lawhead
4. Pendragon by Stephen Lawhead
5. Grail by Stephen Lawhead
6. Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card
7. Earth Afire by Orson Scott Card
8. An Act of Treason by Jack Coughlin
9. Dance of Blades by David Dalglish
10. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin
11. The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin
12. The Farthest Shore by Ursula Le Guin
13. Tehanu by Ursula Le Guin
14. Tales from Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin
15. The Other Wind by Ursula Le Guin
16. Insurgent by Veronica Roth
17. Allegiant by Veronica Roth

That is what I got so far. I will add to it books that come out throughout the year or if I find another series I really want to read. The last two on the list I think are going to be the hardest. I'm partway through Insurgent, but I can't seem to keep interest in it. I honestly don't think it is very good writing, but I like the story, so I am keeping on with it.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Have you read the other Homecoming Saga book by Orson Scott Card? I tried reading The Memory of Earth and promptly wanted to burn it when I realized it was a fancified version of the Book of Mormon. (That's not the only reason; I started disliking it generally, but I found it boring to re-tell an already-existing story and thus had no interest.)

01-05-2014, 07:16 PM
I did read The Memory of Earth, and I have it and the second book. But it didn't really grab me like his other works have. I never really bothered to get back into it, surprisingly because he is one of my favorite authors. I didn't realize it was a fancy retelling of the Book of Mormon, though I can't say that I am surprised with the kind of person he is.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 07:19 PM
The events are all pretty aligned with the first few hundred years of the Book of Mormon, apparently, just set in the future with technology and a few other heres and theres. I realized this and that the lead character's name Nafai is too close to Nephi to not go hand in hand. The family leaving the city, his brothers hating him, Nafai being spoken to by the Oversoul, etc are all things that happen to Nephi in the Book of Mormon.

I'm not sure he if branches off into his own creativity and develops his own story with it or if he generally sticks to the Book of Mormon events. I would have probably been pushed to reading more if it was his own thing instead of being based on scripture.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-05-2014, 08:26 PM
These are going to be in no particular order, and several of them I don't actually have copies of so I may not get around to reading them depending on circumstances. Most of them I have though.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
The Book Thief
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (I started this one a long time ago but haven't finished).
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Shining by Stephen King
A Clash of Kings by George R R Martin
Perelandra by CS Lewis
That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis
Cricketsong by Pike
Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card --- DONE!
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
S
House of Leaves
Ender's Game - Done.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but this is my list from off the top of my head.

Jinx
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
READ CAT'S CRADLE

Scotty_ffgamer
01-05-2014, 09:07 PM
That's what I was leaning towards, so I'll go with that. I also added a book called "S" that someone just told me about like 2 minutes ago and House of Leaves.

01-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Oh man. How did I forget Stephen King. I need to widen my knowledge of his works. The ones I have read are fantastic though. Mayhaps I will update my list...

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-05-2014, 10:16 PM
1) Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
2) The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams
3) Death by Black Hole by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
4) Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
5) The Time of the Dark by Barbara Hambley
6) Willow by Joan D Vinge
7) The Snow Queen by Joan D Vinge
8) Thieves' World by various authors (Poul Anderson, John Brunner, Andrew J. Offutt, C. J. Cherryh, Janet Morris, Chris Morris...)

...is 8 enough?
8 should be enough.

Shorty
01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
6) Willow by Joan D Vinge

Willow, like Willow directed by Ron Howard The Amazing starring Warwick Davis and Val Kilmer? This makes me so happy.

kotora
01-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I'll be glad if I finally get to finish Moby Dick this year. Started half a year ago, 60% now :|

Pike
01-12-2014, 09:00 PM
So this will sound pathetic but ever since starting to use HabitRPG I've been keeping to my goal to read a little every single day. This is my seventh straight day of reading! :D I can't wait to finish my current book so I can jump into Asimov because that guy :heart:

Madame Adequate
01-12-2014, 09:03 PM

Have you read the other Homecoming Saga book by Orson Scott Card? I tried reading The Memory of Earth and promptly wanted to burn it when I realized it was a fancified version of the Book of Mormon. (That's not the only reason; I started disliking it generally, but I found it boring to re-tell an already-existing story and thus had no interest.)

>Hates one book because it's super Mormon
>Loves a buttload of other super Mormon books

Shorty please!

Anyway I've been reading more this year and I'm pleased with that, currently reading Ringworld by Larry Niven. If I can finish the books I got for Christmas before I get more books for my birthday or something I'll consider it adequate.

krissy
01-13-2014, 03:42 AM
postwar

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks:

DMZ

pride & prejudice

Shaibana
01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
i want too finnaly finish that 1st game of thrones book..
im problably now a small year bussy with it HAhahahaha xD
i can put a book down and forget about it or months :l

Shorty
01-15-2014, 09:28 PM

>Hates one book because it's super Mormon
>Loves a buttload of other super Mormon books

Shorty please!

Anyway I've been reading more this year and I'm pleased with that, currently reading Ringworld by Larry Niven. If I can finish the books I got for Christmas before I get more books for my birthday or something I'll consider it adequate.

what constitutes a buttload and what books are these I'd like to know

I have 390 pages left in Game of Thrones and I am making it my business to finish it by the 17th so I can get on with my reading list. The 17th marks the two-month point from which I began this book, and I need to just smurfing finish it so I can move on to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell BECAUSE IT IS SOON TO BECOME A BBC SERIES AND I HAVE TO FINISH IT BEFORE THEN

Lonely Paper Star
01-15-2014, 10:58 PM
- Chainfire by Terry Goodkind (no... still not done. Too stubborn to give up.)
- Phantom by Terry Goodkind
- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
- Pet Sematary (I've only seen the movie :<)
- Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan
- Dragon of Mystara by Thorarinn Gunnarsson (though I think I'll have to reread the first one since it's been so long)
- The Bristling Wood by Katharine Kerr (same as above, but with the first two books. FFFF)

I also have The Hunger Games series and Dangerous Women on PDF.

Agent Proto
01-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Well, I still have A Dance With Dragons to complete, then when I finish I'm going to start reading the entire collection of the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy. Yeah.

Jinx
01-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Well, I still have A Dance With Dragons to complete, then when I finish I'm going to start reading the entire collection of the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy. Yeah.

I think there's actually six books.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-16-2014, 12:18 AM
It's a 5 book trilogy.

Well, actually I don't know anymore. I know at one point it was called The Trilogy of Four when there were just 4 books.

Edit: Never mind. I guess there are 6 books.

Editra: And the 6th book came after Douglas Adams' death. It was written by Eoin Colfer. Interesting.

Agent Proto
01-16-2014, 12:27 AM
There's five written and finished by Douglas Adams. The sixth one, And Another Thing..., was written by a different author.

Vanicent
01-16-2014, 10:19 PM
So far I have nine books that I plan to read this year:

1) Traitor Spy 2: The Rogue by Trudi Canavan,
3) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - READ!
4) The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't have a particular reading order after The Traitor Spy Trilogy. I read The Black Magician Trilogy years ago and wanted to read the sequel trilogy, but I waited until I had all three. Also, I finished off the first book - The Ambassador's Mission - last night.

Ok, due to having a (rarely used until recently) Kindle, my reading order fell apart pretty fast. I've completed The Hobbit this week, and started The Fellowship of the Ring today. I'm still intending to read The Traitor Spy 2: The Rogue soon, but having the Kindle makes reading too easy during my breaks at work.

Polaris
01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
My 2014 reading challenge includes read all the Netgalley ebooks and all the paperback books I have on my shelves... and reduce my GR to-read list ^^
1. Read more Steampunk novels;
2. Reduce the erotica novels;
3. Read at least 5 SF (space opera/hardFC) books :)

Pike
01-17-2014, 10:45 AM
1. Read more Steampunk novels;

Go classic. Verne and Wells! :D You won't regret it!

Polaris
01-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Regarding the GR reading challenge:
The bad side of Goodreads' Reading Challenge | Books | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/jan/16/bad-goodreads-reading-challenge-literature-numbers?CMP=twt_gu)

Today I organized my bookshelves and digital library and have over 100 books to read, so I set my books to 100 this year (even though I read 140 last year), but really to me the challenge is only a very organized way to save what I read throughout the years (I don't review all books I read)

Go classic. Verne and Wells! You won't regret it!
Indeed, good Sir :) Although I have to read Anno Dracula asap and finish the Gone with the respiration duology first ^^

Vanicent
02-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Another update!

1) Traitor Spy 2: The Rogue by Trudi Canavan - READ!
3) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - READ!
4) The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien - READ!

Again due to my Kindle I've been able to read Fellowship, ​so I'm now reading through The Two Towers.

Calliope
02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
So far this year I've read five books by old white men, and nine by everyone else. I'm doing great!

Shorty
02-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Four books off my list, and a total of seven finished this year!

George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones
Neil Gaiman - Coraline
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

Deathly Hallows will be next, followed by A Feast For Crows and then Anansi Boys (I'm currently reading all three but am finding it difficult to flip between them). I started Neverwhere and Order of the Phoenix three quarters of a year ago and only finally finished them. Making progress!

Bunny
02-24-2014, 07:32 PM
My goal is to read at least 20 books this year, though I would love to read more than that. 20 is a good solid number.

My list is as follows:

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Path of Revenge by Russell Kirkpatrick
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
Snow Crash by Neal Stephanson
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller
Innocence Lost by Karen Miller
Brains: A Zombie Memoir by Robin Becker
Empress of Mijak by Karen Miller
The Riven Kingdom by Karen Miller
Hammer of God by Karen Miller
The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey
Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey
Kushiel's Justice by Jacqueline Carey
Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey

I originally had them in a read order, but then I decided that I wanted to read both Stardust and Ender's Game before some of the others on the list. I may alter it slightly depending on how I am feeling at a given moment, but these are the books I picked out at the beginning of the year and I'm going to try and stick with it.

Calliope
06-05-2014, 05:34 AM
I've read 36 books so far this year (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/154232-2014-Media-Log), which puts me on track for my vague goal of 52. Maybe I should increase my goal! How is everyone else doing?

Colonel Angus
06-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Read
The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Captain America:Winter Soldier, by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting
Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, by Sean Howe

Currently Reading
47 Ronin, by Joan Vinge

Jinx
06-05-2014, 01:24 PM
I've read 36 books so far this year (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/154232-2014-Media-Log), which puts me on track for my vague goal of 52. Maybe I should increase my goal! How is everyone else doing?

I'm at 65/75! I'm on the home stretch! :D

Pumpkin
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I think my goal was to just read more, which I have done. Still haven't read much, though!

Jiro
06-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I didn't keep a list but I think I'm doing pretty well at like 10 or so since I hardly have time to read these days. Have a bunch more books coming my way though so I need to get my groove on and channel the reading beast inside me.

Shorty
07-26-2014, 06:56 AM
I meant to do a mid-year update, whoops! According to Goodreads, I've finished 21 books this year, but four of them were comics and/or short stories and I don't care to count those.

Susanna Clark - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys
Neil Gaiman - American Gods - 25%
Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones (started reading in 2013 but finished in 2014)
George RR Martin - A Feast for Crows
George RR Martin - A Dance with Dragons - 50%
Robert A. Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land
Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted
Chuck Palahniuk - Snuff
Chuck Palahniuk - Pygmy
Chuck Palahniuk - Tell-All
Chuck Palahniuk - Damned
Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Kurt Vonnegut - God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five

Books I've finished that are not on my list:
Allie Brosh: Hyperbole And A Half (I don't know if this really counts because it is basically blog entries but I read it all)
Tina Fey - Bossypants
Neil Gaiman - Coraline
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere (started reading in 2013 but whatevs, counting it)
Mindy Kaling - Is Everyone Hanging Out With Me? And Other Concerns
David Sedaris - Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls
David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day
David Sedaris - Naked
David Sedaris - When Engulfed In Flames
Sin City Vol. 1-6

David Sedaris has been such a pleasant, comical surprise. I don't even remember how I stumbled across him. I'm currently reading edit: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by him and in the first couple of chapters I have to catch my breath from laughing so hard. I love him.

Also, I do not think I will complete my original list, but I am well on my way to extending beyond my goal of thirty books for 2014!

Parker
07-26-2014, 09:13 AM
gonna get some more delillo, franzen, DFW etc done. maybe some more pynchon.

no set goals because i will have a busy ass year and might not have much time to read.

need to get into some hemingway and other drunk old dudes too

yea ive read one book in it's entirety this year outside of textbooks. i've re-read about 1/4 of one book and 1/2 of another book but I've read them before so I won't even count those.

I HAVE started reading a DeLillo though, and I'm committed to it even if it will take me some time. I've had a tremendously busy year so far but it's looking good from now on and I may be able to read more now.