PDA

View Full Version : Night Terrors

AssassinDX
12-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Night terror - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror)

Even though it's apparently very rare, does anyone else suffer from this or something similar?

I suffer from hallucinations almost every time I experience a night terror, usually involving a giant spider or other bug on the wall. Once or twice I've ran downstairs in sheer terror but once I come round I have some sort of grasp on the situation, but sometimes it takes several minutes. It's not as bad as it used to be but it still happens about once a fortnight, I'm still holding out in the hope that I'll grow out of it eventually before seeking medical advice. I'm 29 now though.

Shorty
12-30-2013, 01:48 PM
I don't experience these. They sound awful, though.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Never had any of these. I almost never have regular nightmares either. I can actually only remember one single nightmare like ever. I also don't think I've experienced sleep paralysis, although I have experienced half-dreamy things where I feel like I am asleep but can hear everything around me . I never get the feeling that I can't move or wake up though. It just feels so relaxing that I never try to actually wake up from it anyway. Maybe that's sleep paralysis, but if it is, I've never thought of it as uncomfortable.

I do see shapes form when I am in a very dark room or area, but I think that's pretty common and just the brain trying to do what it can with the extremely limited sensory input it gets. Too bad it gets it wrong most of the time.

Pumpkin
12-30-2013, 03:09 PM
I've had night terrors, yeah.

Sephex
12-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I have experienced hallucinations during sleep paralysis. The most interesting one was when I heard multiple voices of myself, from a small child to an old man telling me that I could mentally travel to any point in my life. I was in the middle of asking if I could go back to the "present" if I wanted to (because it would suck to be stuck way backward or way forward in time), but then I snapped out of it.

Other times I was in a room full of demons or something and they were all growling at me.

Then the third type of hallucination is when I think I actually manage to move a decent distance across the room or ask someone to wake me out of sleep paralysis, but then I snap out of it for real and realize that the movement and/or conversations were hallucinations.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-30-2013, 11:45 PM
I occasionally get sleep paralysis. It's weird, because it probably only started within the last 2-3 years.

I'll realize I'm awake, but I can't move or open my eyes. The first few times it happened I remember being really concerned because I didn't know why I couldn't move. Now it's still disoncerting, but more annoying than anything else. It only happens 2-3 times a year.

When it happens I have to concentrate on moving my tongue. Then opening and closing my jaw. Then swinging my head back and forth. I basically have to slowly build up to being able to move more and more. After being able to move my head, I typically snap out of it. It takes a while, though. It feels like a monumental effort just to move my tongue.

I've found that it seems to only occur if I've fallen asleep on my back, and especially if my arms are above my head. Maybe it has something to do with what Sam mentioned. /shrug

Spuuky
12-31-2013, 12:52 AM
I've had sleep paralysis once. It was a bizarre, surreal, extremely hard-to-explain experience.

Faris
12-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Even though I'm a lucid dreamer, sometimes when waking up during a nightmare I've bolted upwards, was covered in sweat, or woke up while trying to scream but unable to make a sound. Don't think it's anywhere near as bad as described in the wiki though.

Ayen
01-01-2014, 03:31 AM
Never had night terrors. I rarely have nightmares these days. Even dreams that feel like they should be nightmares aren't.

Unbreakable Will
01-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I had them as a child, turns out it was two medicines my doctors had prescribed that were crossing all wonky on my nervous system.

Jessweeee♪
01-03-2014, 04:07 AM
When I was 18 I ran away from home/got kicked out (idk it's complicated I still don't get it) and for a couple of months I was having something that I would describe to others as night terrors but it wasn't actually so bad as described on the wiki page. I'd just sit up suddenly, hyperventilate, and just feel absolute pure terror for about ten seconds, then I'd be really confused about why I was so freaked out, and then after a minute of this I'd be awake enough to make myself go back to sleep.

Elskidor
01-03-2014, 04:14 AM
Only when detoxing.