PDA

View Full Version : The Book Discussion Thread

Jinx
12-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Not to be confused with Currently Reading. This thread is basically to come and talk about books. What you're reading, what you've read, what you want to read. I just thought it might be a bit easier to talk about things in here than in the Currently Reading thread.

Jinx
01-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Welp, I am going to start reading The Fellowship of the Ring today. I tried reading it once when I was 11, and then I read and completed it (and half of TTT) when I was 14...hated it both times. I'm hoping now that I'm considerably older it will be less of a challenge for me, and not only that, that I'll enjoy it. I'm going into this book pretty optimistically and not in the pre-formed mindset that I'll still hate it.

I'll probably keep a commentary up from time to time!

Pumpkin
01-04-2014, 05:50 AM
I'm still reading that Divergent series. I feel like a pessimist now because I see their relationship and I keep thinking "Sure, that's sexy now, but eventually these qualities are really going to make you upset and there will come a certain point in your relationship where you'll keep bringing up the ear stabbing thing as leverage in an argument."

Freya
01-04-2014, 10:07 PM
I started the mortal Instrument books. City of bones. We'll see how it goes. I'm interested. I'm goign to finish the book first then see that movie they made off it. After that i'm goign to finish my Neil deGrasse Tyson book.

I kinda love the whole paranormal thing so i'm interested in the city of bones thing and well space soooooo

Parker
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm slowly reading through Infinite Jest for the second time. I've made a couple attempts and finally finished it fully last year I think. Now that I know more about the book I am reading it and it's going a lot better. It's a very long and complex book but I love it. It's a much easier re-read than Gravity's Rainbow. I technically finished GR once but it was a huge blur, and my re-read failed. I will try again though.

I'd really like to read Underworld next but it's a huge book and I think I'll probably go for something much thinner after the thousands of pages I've read of IJ and GR.

Night Fury
01-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm just reading through the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. They're kind of lame but also fun, and it keeps me reading which is better than not reading.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
This thread kindof sounds like it's turning into the Currently Reading thread. I think that for clarity's sake, we should keep this thread to discussing books you've read in the past that you want to discuss and let Currently Reading be what it is so we don't have threads going on that are too similar.

Jinx
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm still reading that Divergent series. I feel like a pessimist now because I see their relationship and I keep thinking "Sure, that's sexy now, but eventually these qualities are really going to make you upset and there will come a certain point in your relationship where you'll keep bringing up the ear stabbing thing as leverage in an argument."

I honestly don't remember the ear stabbing part! Tris and Four are a weird couple, honestly.

I'm not sure if I want ot see the movie or not. At the very least, I'll torrent it. I think Kate Winslet as Janine Matthews is absolutely perfect casting, though.

Pike
01-24-2014, 02:06 AM
Man I tell you what; "Foundation" is just blowing my mind away. It's one of those books where you stop and blink every so often just because you're in awe of what the author is accomplishing here; it's much akin to how I felt when I read "The Brothers Karamazov" for the first time.

God I love good science fiction.

Jinx
01-24-2014, 02:19 AM
What's a brief synopsis of the series?

Pike
01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't know about the series as a whole because I'm only on the first book but so far it's a grand overarching story that takes place over hundreds of years regarding the fall and rebirth of the Galactic Empire.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
I started the mortal Instrument books. City of bones. We'll see how it goes. I'm interested. I'm goign to finish the book first then see that movie they made off it. After that i'm goign to finish my Neil deGrasse Tyson book.

I kinda love the whole paranormal thing so i'm interested in the city of bones thing and well space soooooo

After a while the books do get a bit tiring. I always feel that Clary is a stand-in for the author, Clare. It is not a rational thing, but the more I read the series, the more I feel like it is a fanfic about her own life. x-x; I read the first three books and couldn't push myself for the rest.

Though if you want a hilarious urban fantasy series try The Keeper's Chronicles by Tanya Huff. They are hilarious. The first book is essentially about a Keeper, humans who have powers that keep the balance between good and evil, who buys a B&B with Hell in the basement. Hell has quite the hilarious personality. As does her talking cat.

I am reading Insurgence by Roth, well I was reading it but now am more focused on my class work. I like how Tris is not a too likeable character. Actually, Four is pretty cool.

Shorty
01-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Game of Thrones: Catelyn Stark is the absolute worst. She's a terrible character, terribly written and terribly selfish and obscenely stupid. I understand that she is motivated by love for her family, but I do not like her one bit. Weakest character in the book, imo.

Bolivar
01-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Game of Thrones: Catelyn Stark is the absolute worst. She's a terrible character, terribly written and terribly selfish and obscenely stupid. I understand that she is motivated by love for her family, but I do not like her one bit. Weakest character in the book, imo.

What was it that gave you such a strong opinion?

Pumpkin
02-01-2014, 03:22 AM
Reading Allegiant now, and I like what happened with the communities. They're whole lives revolved around a certain concept that in the bigger picture, is kind of insignificant, and it makes you realize how small you are. It makes things seem bigger.

Also reading The Giver and I love love love the book :jess:!!!

Black Magic Shopkeeper
02-04-2014, 04:58 AM
just finished dragonsong. Very well-writ, the author portrays emotions and sensations very well with not too many words.
Seriously, there was one bit that literally had me in tears because I've been experienced the same exact kind of swelling nauseating pain the main character went through.

On another note imagining the girl trotting along the shore with a bunch of miniature dragons flitting around her is a very restful thing.

noxious.sunshine
02-04-2014, 03:40 PM
OOoooo I love Anne McCaffrey!

Dragonsong is the one about Menolly, isn't it? I can't remember- it's been awhile since I've read those books (and I haven't even read them all)

Pumpkin
02-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Finished The Giver tonight. So many feels. Might be because of my own son, but the Gabriel part especially. Oh I've been trying so hard not to cry all night.

Calliope
02-22-2014, 05:51 PM
I read Gone Girl yesterday, and I just couldn't get past that if Amy is sooooo smart and brilliant, and loved attention and praise soooooo much, why was she languishing in a laughable quiz-writing job? I guess she could have just diverted her energies into her earlier victims, but...huh. It was a good book, but it kind of collapsed in the last chapter, and I predicted everything except that Nick (Nicky!) was having an affair, which actually managed to stun me.