PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock, Season 3 (previous seasons spoilers)

Shorty
12-30-2013, 11:29 PM
WHO'S READY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaO7uCeIAAApveA.jpg

Discuss past season plot points and conspiracy theories as to how you think Sherlock could have lived from his jump. I have my own that I think Rantz agrees with, but I am interested to hear the theories of others!

Slothy
12-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Had no idea it was so close. :hyper:

Jess
12-31-2013, 12:15 AM
I've only seen one random episode of Sherlock, and I enjoyed it. I purchased the first two series yesterday, and will be recording the new series for once I'm done watching them. :jess:

Shorty
12-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Ooooh, do it! I can't wait to hear what you think about it :jess:

Jiro
12-31-2013, 01:03 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/5530bcdb6effdeb0810925ac07f59972/tumblr_mxn042u8hO1s7qoayo4_250.jpg

I cannot wait

Shorty
12-31-2013, 01:05 AM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/223/4/5/sherlock_e_card_by_colleenquint-d6hq52j.jpg

Freya
12-31-2013, 01:30 AM
Did you watch the 7 min prequel? OMG ANDERSON HAS A BEARD. I love all his sherlock theories.

JwntNANJCOE

I'm super excited.

Jiro
12-31-2013, 03:21 AM
I thought they weren't going to release that, awesome :aimsun:

Del Murder
12-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Can't wait! :holmes: When does Netflix get it?

Rantz
12-31-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm so excited!!

Psychotic
12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
How did he survive? Uhhh... why would a fall kill him? It's pretty obvious Sherlock has wings and flew away back to his treasure hoard under Erebor. He's only revealing himself to be alive as he's found Watson trying to pinch his Arkenstone.

Shorty
01-02-2014, 02:45 AM
bawwww that kiss with molly destroyed me

John Watson looks like a Disney character with that moustache.

I don't know how I feel about the beginning scene. It was a little unnecessary, but it gave way to an easy explanation as to why he'd been away for so long. I do find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't have been keeping tabs on John, but I can see in his standard arrogance that he would think he'd be waiting all this time and thus wouldn't need to check up on him.

I don't know how I feel about John's fiancee. I kindof find her annoying.

I've always enjoyed the camerawork of this show. The scene changes, the fast-panning and slow-motion shots. I feel like there were many of them in this episode, and I enjoy them very much. They're great for the sizing up moments and are so, so perfect for the adrenaline action scenes like when they were rushing to save John from the fire. (Note: As I read the last text that was sent I thought, "I hate it when useless words are randomly capitalized!" After a second, though, I realized what it meant after recently being educated about traditions for November the 5th, and it all made sense. Confirmed not long after, to my delight!)

I still love sweet little lovely Molly Hooper. I love that he called her over to solve crimes and take notes for him. I love their chemistry.

I feel for John, and I both empathize and relate strongly with him in a variety of ways. Being so hateful about being abandoned for two years but just having enough curiousity and care for his old friend to not let that anger get in the way. He's also got a short temper once he's angry and has an air for theatrics, which I won't deny that I share with him.

The explosion of Parliament was wonderful! Not quite the show that V for Vendetta put on, but still a pretty great one. However, an explosives-filled train car is a little too much like V for Vendetta for my taste. Still, it works for the episode.

I love Anderson and his Empty Hearse idea. That was amazing. And that beard! I love the crazy person he's become in his grief and distress. And what distress Sherlock causes him at the end of the episode, haha. He was a character to dislike in the first two seasons, that's for sure. This episode makes me like him much, much more now that he's a little bit wacky.

It is difficult for me to conceive how a better criminal than Moriarty could arise in this season because he was just so exclusively perfect. I am anxious to see what they come up with. In a way, I would have liked to have seen more from the criminal's appearance in this episode. But I feel like it mostly needed to be about Sherlock's return so as to not already make the season feel rushed.

At first I was a little uncertain regarding how I feel about the death conspiracy shown at the beginning. I thought it was quite a bit elaborate and overdone and thought we'd just have to accept it because it's the explanation they offered, but then another cropped up. And it was clear they would keep providing possible theories to his death. And for a moment, when he was explaining to Anderson, I was ready to be so satisfied and pleased by having most of mine and Rantz's theory confirmed when he explained almost our exactly theory to Anderson, but as he was doing it and there was still time left in the show, I realized that it was probably just another story like the others. And more than the satisfaction than I would have found in having my theory confirmed, I think I like not knowing so much better.

Freya
01-04-2014, 05:33 AM
The molly kiss was so cute. I died.

Anderson's wacky I love. It's great.

OMG FIRE BOMB. WHO IS THAT GUY? Seriously. Who is he and why was he rewatching footage?

I kinda like his fiance, she seems sassy/witty enough to actually semi understand sherlock. She figured out what the text meant fairly quickly it seemed.

Molly's look a like boyfriend cracked me up too.

I agree they'll just keep throwing theories at the fans since they had so many wild ones. The terrorist plot itself was meh. I understand though that the episode was more about bringing sherlock back and dealing with the time gap 2 year sadness.

The ending hat thing made me smile too cause he hated it before

Shorty
01-04-2014, 05:43 AM
We're having a viewing party in chat.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/c3d5a1d18e523367734ac9fe8794c930/tumblr_mx08fboWcK1rzik3go1_500.gif

#shorlocked #escolockbert #freylocked #papersherlocke #prolock #scottlocked #sherlocky #themanlocked

Psychotic
01-04-2014, 07:52 AM
The episode was okay. Not one of the best sherlocks but I think a lot of it had to be dedicated to setting the scene anyway. New villain is interesting.

Lonely Paper Star
01-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Not dead! (http://shockingblankets.tumblr.com/tagged/notdead)

Also, I enjoyed the episode. :kakapo:

KristaWebster
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
I am up for it. Desperately waiting for it.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-06-2014, 02:16 AM
Anybody seen episode 2 yet?

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-06-2014, 04:18 AM
Just watched episode two. Cried twice.

Jiro
01-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Fucking knew it was the photographer. Good episode. The cinematography in this show is unfuckingbelievable sometimes. Everything is shot so well. There are so many little jokes and references hidden everywhere, I feel like goddamn Sherlock when I get them.

I can't say anything else that isn't just me going through all the moments I thought were awesome. Oh, except please let Tom not be a mental case.

Psychotic
01-06-2014, 04:01 PM
This was such a different episode to normal, it was nice seeing all these little cases and then have them all come together. The drunk moment was absolute sheer comedy. Like Jiro I figured out who did it and who the target was first and felt like a badass. And Sherlock, I know how you feel! Best Man Speeches are scary!

It was interesting in so much as there wasn't really much of a build up for whatever is going to happen in the finale. The last two have seen huge showdowns with Moriaty but it was all building up to that in both seasons. We saw a glimpse of someone at the end of the first episode but then no more in this. It was somewhat disappointing actually.

blackmage_nuke
01-06-2014, 07:06 PM
I found episode 2 of the last two Sherlock seasons to fall a bit flat, however this season I found episode 2 to be very entertaining even if there wasnt any final ep setup or foreshadowing (Unless there was and it will only become obvious when we see ep 3)

Psychotic
01-06-2014, 07:22 PM
I found episode 2 in Season 1 to be the worst of all Sherlock episodes, but I actually didn't mind the Hound of Baskerville. It was a good change of pace to be away from London and the mystery surrounding the Hound was a neat one.

blackmage_nuke
01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Three things I actually didnt get about episode 2

Why did the photographer date all those women?

Didnt any of those well trained troops at least try to first aid the shower guy before just saying "yep he's dead"?

Did all the women leaving when asked about a secret have some kind of signifigance that I missed or was it just a red herring?

Maybe these are just clues for the finale. At least thats what Im hoping so I can feel like a detective

Psychotic
01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Three things I actually didnt get about episode 2

Why did the photographer date all those women?

Did all the women leaving when asked about a secret lead to something I missed or was it just a red herring?They were all the personal staff of the Major who was a known recluse and thus had people come in to do things for him as he couldn't leave the house. The photographer wanted to kill the Major so he dated the women to try to find out where the Major would be, and the Nurse saw the wedding invite, blabbed, and that's how the photographer knew the Major would be at the wedding. The secret thing is because the Major made them all sign confidentiality agreements about working for him as he's such a hated figure.

blackmage_nuke
01-06-2014, 07:48 PM
That makes sense, but then
How did he find 5 women working for the Major when he's so secretive?

Psychotic
01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I had the exact same thought when I was typing out the post. Maybe he watched the house or something. I don't think it was explained.

blackmage_nuke
01-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Also quite strange that John doesnt know where the Major lives but is still able to send him a wedding invitation unless he was invited via phone or something.

And 5 women instead of just thinking "lying dickhead" joined the same ghost dating forum

Freya
01-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Drunk sherlock was the best sherlock.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/3b84cdbcb67ff67e5b42031f74692d36/tumblr_myyn8fjE5G1rsy234o6_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/039459e4f585ba610d0ed1aa41531e93/tumblr_myyv2yWULP1staho1o1_500.gif

Shorty
01-07-2014, 07:30 AM
I think the fits the Detective Inspector was throwing at the beginning were a little out of character. And clowns! A heist! Nearly the same mask as in Batman. I am extremely bothered, though, that the introduction to the episode was so insistent on selling you that the criminals absolutely intend to not get caught over and over, and finally, when they do, nothing is seen of it, nothing more is heard of or said of it! Couldn't they have just shown Lestrade camped out at some random crime scene when he gets a text from Sherlock and races over there? All of that repeated getaways from the criminals and then finally nabbing them was pointless. I get that it was to show how important Lestrade holds Sherlock but still, a little silly and redundant. Enough of a deal was made about the opening scene that I thought it would be the basis for the episode. When it wasn't, I found myself confused.

I squealed in delight at the lengths that Sherlock went with interviewing his fiancee's friend/ex-boyfriend, especially him setting up monitored arranged meetings xD It's out of character for him to care so much about someone to go to these lengths, but it is in his character to be thorough.

bawwww sherlock asking molly for a drink oh my god, and drunk sherlock holy trout good lord, never thought I'd see that in my life. That was ridiculously amusing and fantastic. I generally dislike changes to characters, but it's fun to see them behave in ways you imagined they never would.

That speech was so moving, oh my god in heaven ;_________________;

I think something is going to happen to Mary. She seems too good to be true for John. Sherlock just recounted all of the horrible luck and turmoil that John has experienced in his time. I don't think that he is meant to have a happy ending with anyone but Sherlock (not in the gay way that fans obsess about). This show thrives on building relationships between the fans and the characters, and there is no existing relationship the fans have with Mary - she's popped out of thin air, and we have no emotional attachment to her whatsoever. I think something is going to happen to her, and John is going to be destroyed and Sherlock will have to act in a way that he's never acted before to save him and that she will be used as leverage to trigger an emotional ransom from fans on behalf of John. This episode so far has all been about Sherlock behaving in ways that he wouldn't normally, all for his friend that he cares about so much, which shows now that he has the capacity to behave that way. I do like, though, at the end that he returned to his lonesome usual self, even if it is a bit sad.

I think that Molly may be important in the finale. They're showing her in more scenes, using more interactions with her and Sherlock, she seems a bit more intimate with him than a scared mousy little girl who's too shy to say anything unless spoken to. She picks up on his behaviors and notices what he is doing and how he's reacting. They showed quite a bit of her in the flashbacks of crimes, her observing and reacting to his theatrical half of the speech, and a good while observing him standing by himself alone amid the crowd on the dance floor. I think/I hope she will play a somewhat key part in the next episode.

I was happy to see Irene Adler, even if only for a moment, even if it was almost unnecessary.

I was a little bit sad that there wasn't some sort of cliffhanger. For a while I thought that the Major was the man we had seen a flash of at the end of the first episode. When Sherlock was going on about, "Who would you kill at a wedding?" all I would think of is that you kill either a) the bride, b) the groom or c) the bride and groom at a wedding. Because of the shot of the dude at the end of the first episode, I was almost certain that he was a sort of culprit, and thought it would have made for a good story for this long-lost man who nobody has seen or heard of in all these years shows up to John's delight and then tries to kill him (or someone else), for whatever reason, especially since he got up and went straight for his gun and especially since John was a target in the last episode and we still don't know why. But the photographer looked too much like the photographer who had been snapshotting the guard who was stabbed, and that was the only solid thing to go on.

Season two has been the best season so far. I have a feeling I will be disappointed with the finale of this one, but I am excited to see where it goes. I very much like how Moriarty was the constant link in episodes and crimes through seasons one and two for Sherlock. It seems they're operating on another level now (like still not solving why John was a target from the first episode), but there's enough mystery left for it to be interesting, I think.

Jiro
01-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I think the opening was intended to reinforce how much of a dick Sherlock is, but also to help humanise him more too. Like, clearly he cares a fuckload about John -- gay jokes aside -- but Sherlock still doesn't get how normal people behave.

Mary is one of the coolest characters. She is so on the ball and clever in her own way, plus she is hilariously playing both the boys. And the way she just puts up with Sherlock and John going off on their stupid adventures, I mean geez she's too perfect. I think that's the reason she's gonna get screwed over -- not because she's new, but because she's too good to be true. The dynamic wouldn't work because it makes too much sense. Though I refuse to believe they'd pull a Mary's in danger plot immediately after the wedding episode, that'd be shit.

uhhh what else are my jumbled thoughts. Yeah I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of over arching thread in this season. Like, yeah, that one guy, but how is any of this connected? It's... not. And that's half the fun! Having things all tied together. Moriarty was such an amazing villain, I wish he was alive still ;_;

eh that'll do too many THOUGHTS UGH

blackmage_nuke
01-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Mycroft mentioned a Red Beard. Maybe that comes into the overarching plot

Psychotic
01-12-2014, 10:07 PM
YES YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD, I DID MISS YOU :love:

Actually, I don't know if I did because Magnusson was fucking exemplary. What fantastic villains this show has - they're like a collection of supervillains that someone like Batman had. What an unhinged and dangerous force of presence that was somehow completely different in feel from Moriaty.

I think it was obvious something was slightly off with Mary and I liked the way that story went, that was good.

"ARE YOU BOTH SMOKING"
"No!"
"Mycroft!"

xD

Absolutely top notch episode.

Jiro
01-13-2014, 02:56 AM
YES YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD, I DID MISS YOU :love:

Actually, I don't know if I did because Magnusson was smurfing exemplary. What fantastic villains this show has - they're like a collection of supervillains that someone like Batman had. What an unhinged and dangerous force of presence that was somehow completely different in feel from Moriaty.

I think it was obvious something was slightly off with Mary and I liked the way that story went, that was good.

"ARE YOU BOTH SMOKING"
"No!"
"Mycroft!"

xD

Absolutely top notch episode.

Yeah seconding these comments. I would've liked Magnusson to have, y'know, more obvious effects 'cause he was a magnificent bastard too but fuck nobody is quite as good as Moriarty that fucking actor is perfect and I just oh man we have to wait TOO DAMN LONG

Shorty
01-13-2014, 09:16 AM
This was the weakest season for me. The more I think about it, the more I dislike it. It started out pretty strong and I enjoyed the first episode, especially the mystery surrounding why someone would name John as a target. I enjoyed much less of the second; mostly the part that sticks out is Sherlock in the courtroom with Mycroft and the online ladies he was chatting to. The wedding itself was all boring safe for Sherlock's speech. This third one had me going for a bit and then... promptly dropped off most/all interest.

Something about the fact that there wasn't really a clear case involved in this episode made me just disinterested in it. Everything was surrounding their own personal lives, and it made me care less about it for some reason. I will admit that I like seeing Sherlock's parents, though. I'm not sure. Something about this season was so out of character. I understand why they did it; two seasons of the same, two years gone by, got to spice things up. Everything with Sherlock engaging in situations we've never seen him in from getting drunk to entertaining women, to beginning the episode vastly different from any other episode in the past, to getting so involved with personal lives, to even Anderson going nuts and becoming a Sherlock cultist with a crazy person beard. I am fine with out of character and I am fine with things getting different. I am not fond of this particular storyline, though. The first episode and the last episode connect - the second one is basically all filler and reference point of John and Mary's marriage and a couple of her behaviors that are remarked upon. Other than that, the second episode holds no actual relevance to the season.

In all the changes and differences that have come to light, though, I appreciate the fact that John Watson remains consistently the same.

I would have liked to see much more of Magnussen. I think perhaps I've been spoiled in getting to see so many glimpses of Moriarty in the past seasons. I want to feel the fear of god put into me by a villain, and Magnussen was so creepy and out of the ordinary that he could have worked so much better if they just used more of him. He worked fine for what when he was used, sure. But I wasn't really in fear of the man shown at the end of the first season. It was more of "who is that? what does he have to do with this?". The big reveal in the third and final episode and then offing him feels premature. Again, possible spoiled by getting to know Moriarty through two seasons. Oh well.

I tried to keep an open mind about Mary, even though I didn't really love her much in the first episode, or the second. But this whole twist business made me throw my hands up. Not loving it, not one bit.

I've realized that Mycroft is one of my favorite characters. I think he has been for a while, I've just never really noticed it. I feel like he overacted a bit when it came to mentioning Magnussen for the first time. Other than that, wonderful as always.

The ending was predictable as soon as Sherlock asked Magnussen to confirm that all of his data is locked away in his head. From there it was either a) SWAT taking him down or b) Sherlock taking him down, and from the first look of the elderly blonde woman on screen again, it was predictable that they were going to ask him to come work for them. That was disappointing. As much as I love figuring out things throughout the show, figuring out endings is boring boring boring.

The Moriarty stuff, though. That was the best part of the whole episode (beside the smoking bit mentioned earlier) and certainly not at all predictable. This season was a disappointment to me, but I would allow myself to get dragged behind the stagecoach of seven more seasons of the same to see a Moriarty return.

Also, shoutout to Molly Hooper. I love how bold she's become. I also love how Sherlock interacts with her and Mycroft in his subconscious now.

Jiro
01-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Sherlock's mind palace has become even cooler than like, every other setting

Rantz
01-14-2014, 08:36 AM
I liked the episodes of this season individually, but I agree that the season as a whole felt the weakest. Still, great entertainment by any measure.

Del Murder
01-16-2014, 03:45 AM
I liked the episodes of this season individually, but I agree that the season as a whole felt the weakest. Still, great entertainment by any measure.
Agreed.

I liked Mary but her 'twist' didn't sit well with me and didn't make much sense. :Oo:

Jiro
01-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Some of the signposting was well done but Mary being an assassin was just kind of wtf. Cool, I guess, but it just seems too convenient that out of all the random people John could date, he finds an ex assassin. There comes a point where I can't suspend disbelief and that shit is too obvious

blackmage_nuke
01-16-2014, 10:49 AM
The whole "Applegate is in my head" thing was predicatable. I liked the Red Beard reveal

Miriel
01-16-2014, 10:57 AM
2 years is a very long time to wait for a new season, and when it finally arrived it just didn't live up to expectations. And it's already over again. My goodness. That was a quickie wasn't it?

I knew the seasons were short, but for some reason I didn't think it would be this short. I guess I had just forgotten. I think even if we had one more episode to sort of flesh things out, it would have made the entire season immeasurably better. A lot of time was spent trying to re-establish the Sherlock/Watson relationship, and then also introduce and establish the Watson/Mary and Mary/Sherlock dynamics and by then we're halfway done with the season and we've barely been introduced to the big bad!

Anyone else feel like they were trying to make this season a lot funnier? Like waaaay funnier. I cracked up so many times. I also thought they softened Sherlock's character a TON, maybe a little bit too much even. I'm not sure he can keep calling himself a "high functioning sociopath" anymore he has so many warm and fuzzy feelings. It was a tad bit jarring to be honest. But hey, I love the bromance.

I also didn't think the final episode made much sense. Not in terms of motivations, logic, character development, etc. It seemed like a lot of energy was spent trying to convince the audience that this was all very complicated and deep but in the end not much of it felt like it panned out or had much of an impact.

That being said, it's just so freakin' entertaining to watch Sherlock and Watson do their thing. So much fun. I just want more and more of it.

blackmage_nuke
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Did any one else notice when he was scrolling through Sherlock's pressure points it just kept repeating itself?

Flying Mullet
01-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Where is everyone watching this? I've been waiting for season three. :(

The Man
01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Torrents.

Flying Mullet
01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
:( :(

Psychotic
01-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Where is everyone watching this? I've been waiting for season three. :(On my television. BBC One. :)

Baloki
01-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Taking bets that the first episode of season four is they reckon that the return of Moriarty is just a hoax set up by Sherlock to get out of being exiled!

Polaris
01-16-2014, 10:19 PM
I enjoyed the fact that they took a break from all the crimes (and plot twists, yes Moffat I am starring at you and Dr. Who) and decided to go on a more personal level. I loved that Sherlock is still a bastard, but boy does he gives the best wedding speeches ever!:love:

Kalevala
01-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Where is everyone watching this? I've been waiting for season three. :(

It was either torrent it or wait until the 19th for the premier to air on PBS. The latter option was unacceptable.

Flying Mullet
01-17-2014, 10:00 PM
wait until the 19th for the premier to air on PBS.
Excellent! :aimsun:

Jiro
01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Anyone else feel like they were trying to make this season a lot funnier? Like waaaay funnier. I cracked up so many times. I also thought they softened Sherlock's character a TON, maybe a little bit too much even. I'm not sure he can keep calling himself a "high functioning sociopath" anymore he has so many warm and fuzzy feelings. It was a tad bit jarring to be honest. But hey, I love the bromance.

I'm a little concerned about the sheer level of pandering to the fandom. In some respects it was well done -- the popularity of theories about how Sherlock survived resulted in us not getting an actual answer so that every theory is true; having a character (Anderson) represent the fandoms in that case is actually kind of awesome and sweet -- but in other situations it is terrible. For instance, the sheer level of sexual tension and suspicions of a relationship between Sherlock and Watson moves past the cute theoretical added dimension aspect and is clearly them trying to send fanfic writers wild.

krissy
01-20-2014, 02:34 AM
i aboslutely agree
i think moffat was using too much who in sherlock writing this time around
too slapstick funny sometimes
like the big hat sneak (ridiculous)
really liked the last ep tho
dindt like the first very much
2nd was ok

i think season 1 built up for season 2
i think season 3 is built up for season 4

which im fine with