PDA

View Full Version : Games that are basically interactive movies

tony12
01-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Are you guys really into the games that are basically interactive movies where instead of having much gameplay in terms of fighting you instead make decisions on what to say in order to continue the plot?

The selling point to these games I would say is that the plots and stories are generally much better and more realistic than what you see in most rpg's etc...where the main reason people are playing is not so much for the plot but for the gameplay.

It seems more and more interactive games are coming out these days.

Ayen
01-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Such as? Because I don't think I played many.

Pumpkin
01-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Xenosaga

Still good games, though.

tony12
01-03-2014, 12:27 AM

The Walking Dead games. Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain. There are probably more.

Ayen
01-03-2014, 12:37 AM

The Walking Dead games. Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain. There are probably more.

Ohh. Right. Haven't played any of them but I hear good things about Beyond Two Souls and the Walking Dead game made by Telltale.

Shorty
01-03-2014, 03:24 AM
That's pretty much all the Tell-Tale games are. I like them. Story is more important to me than gameplay.

Elskidor
01-03-2014, 03:31 AM
That's how I feel most of the games I have played have been since I played FFX over 10 years ago.

Bolivar
01-03-2014, 03:34 AM
Heavy Rain was one of the craziest experiences I ever played in a game. Even though it was mostly QTE, the action scenes were more intense than in any action game. The production qualities were off the charts for its time, making you just feel utterly submerged in this world.

It also took place in Philadelphia with many of the landmarks exactly how they are in real life, which I greatly appreciated. The broad street subway isn't as clean as they depicted it though :p

Sephex
01-03-2014, 04:02 AM
In recent years, I have enjoyed the Tell-Tale games. Mainly Back to the Future and The Walking Dead. The Jurassic Park one was the comedy game of the year.

THAT ONE WAS SERIOUS?!

DMKA
01-03-2014, 04:08 AM
These days they're some of my favorite games honestly. I just wish there were more of them.

I really liked Heavy Rain, and I loved the first season of The Walking Dead, as well as the first episode of season 2. I had fun with the first episode of The Wolf Among Us, and I had a blast with Beyond: Two Souls.

I find it funny when people either complain about these games, or say "There's more and more of them coming out!" when in actuality, I just listed all of them that came out this last gen, and they're all by two developers. I mean, aside of Telltale and Quantic Dream, who's making them?

If you want to see a time that was filled with interactive movies, look at the CD-I, the 3DO, the Sega CD, and the PC during the early 90s. There were tons of them, and they weren't half as interactive as the aforementioned titles are, and even then, they failed to even come remotely close to dominating the market.

Botchmun
01-03-2014, 04:12 AM
Anything by David Cage.

Jiro
01-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Visual novels are extremely abundant in the Japanese market too. They might not be "movies" but the interactivity is still fairly limited with an emphasis on plot as a selling point. I'm a fan, mostly. I still think we have a long way to go before these games live up to the attempt (and a long way before they're even given full credit as "games" -- or are reclassified something else?) but I'm glad for their existence.

tony12
01-03-2014, 07:32 AM
I think games like this are a good way to keep adults interested in console systems. With their more intense and realistic plots they can hold their interest much better than a traditional rpg or shooter probably could with all the gameplay mechanics involved that can become tiresome.

Pike
01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
The Walking Dead is great. Adventure games like that are a legitimate genre of games with a rich history and I'll happily play them alongside everything else.

Mirage
01-03-2014, 03:45 PM

What does this mean? Are you saying that interactive movie games are increasing as a percentage of the total amount of video games? And by how much? One game per 3 years?

Del Murder
01-04-2014, 01:29 AM
I couldn't really get into Heavy Rain. There wasn't much game to it and the interactive parts were fairly simplistic. :gator: However, I loved The Walking Dead. I liked the art style and the plot was very emotional with a variety of game-impacting choices.

Dr Unne
01-04-2014, 01:38 AM
If it's a game like Walking Dead or some kind of visual novel, that's fine. I know what I'm getting into. There's value in interactive-movie games.

If I buy an RPG, I want gameplay. If it turns out surprise, 90% of the game is clicking through dialog, I become sad.

Or, RPGs should do it like Lost Odyssey. The dream sequences were 100% optional, added bonus material that fleshed out the characters but weren't essential to the main plot. I watched all of the sequences anyways because they were so well done.

Shorty
01-04-2014, 01:52 AM
I couldn't really get into Heavy Rain. There wasn't much game to it and the interactive parts were fairly simplistic. :gator: However, I loved The Walking Dead. I liked the art style and the plot was very emotional with a variety of game-impacting choices.

Try The Wolf Among Us!

Botchmun
01-04-2014, 01:58 AM

What does this mean? Are you saying that interactive movie games are increasing as a percentage of the total amount of video games? And by how much? One game per 3 years?

Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls are two perfect examples, also David Cage games. "Gameplay" boils down to vague quick time events or walking around talking with objects until the plot continues. Budget that should be spent on decent design and gameplay is spent hiring and motion capturing actual actors and setting up high detail graphics of their faces.

Del Murder
01-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Try The Wolf Among Us!
I don't like buying games piecemeal, but I will definitely get this once all of the episodes are released in a combined format. :albatoss: