PDA

View Full Version : AGDQ 2014

TrollHunter
01-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Summer games done quick earlier this year raised over a quarter of a million dollars for charity, and the popularity of the stream only grows with each event.

What is this you ask? Well, it is a massive marathon featuring many different speedrunners from across the globe with the purpose of beating their favorite games as quickly as possible to help raise money for causes they care about.

Now the winter marathon known as "Awesome Games Done Quick" is upon us. From games like Jak & Daxter to Cave Story and even Pikmin 3 the lineup for AGDQ 2014 proves to be particularly amazing and I can only imagine how much money will be raised this year. Even if you dont watch much of it be sure to at least stop by and chill for a bit if you can find the time. You won't be disappointed.

For more information... watch this video and I'll also provide a link to the schedule below.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 Promo Video :: An SDA Charity Marathon! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VywUe3mNl4w)

SDA Charity Marathons (http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule)

Dr Unne
01-03-2014, 02:41 AM
I've been excited about this for a month. It's so fun to watch. The Awful games block and WTF Japan block are sure to be good.

TrollHunter
01-03-2014, 04:43 AM
I've been excited about this for a month. It's so fun to watch. The Awful games block and WTF Japan block are sure to be good.

Oh me too. It's going to be a blast.
And the lineup this year has gotten me extremely pumped.
Thankfully my second semester doesnt start for a while so I can catch a very large amount of the marathon.

Denmark
01-04-2014, 01:27 AM
I went to this last year (I didn't play any games because I'm a bad speedgamer). I told EoFF about it and didn't get the enthusiastic response I hoped for. This place is full of Let's Players D:

I'm going again this year, though not for the full thing like I did last year. Only a few days. I doubt I'll really be on camera at all since I'm only going to hang out with friends. Here's hoping the amount of money raised is even higher than last year (it will be since speedrunning is even more popular now than ever).

I always sound like a hipster when I talk about speedrunning to non-speedgame friends since I've been following it since like 2007. :(

TrollHunter
01-04-2014, 04:21 AM
I went to this last year (I didn't play any games because I'm a bad speedgamer). I told EoFF about it and didn't get the enthusiastic response I hoped for. This place is full of Let's Players D:

I'm going again this year, though not for the full thing like I did last year. Only a few days. I doubt I'll really be on camera at all since I'm only going to hang out with friends. Here's hoping the amount of money raised is even higher than last year (it will be since speedrunning is even more popular now than ever).

I always sound like a hipster when I talk about speedrunning to non-speedgame friends since I've been following it since like 2007. :(

Oh damn really? I must have missed the thread. I'm quite sorry. I was all over AGDQ last year but I didnt really share it with anyone. I shared SGDQ 2013 a bit more, but now im going all out in trying to promote and spread this.
I know I'll be going to SGDQ 2014 since I live really close to where it's held.

I sadly havent been following speedrunning very long. I found out about it actually during AGDQ last year year and I've been in love with it ever sense. I want to practice and run Ratchet & clank 3 for the ps2, but I play way too many games to focus on speedrunning and I also lack the equipment to stream it.

Denmark
01-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Ha, don't worry about it, I didn't try TOO hard to promote it last year xD I think I made a thread in Private Feedback or something like "I'm gonna be at this thing here's some info please tell other people about it"

But yeah I've been watching speedruns since about 2007 and somewhat actively involved in the community since sometime in 2011. The main games I ran were SNES games which was partly due to the fact that I could emulate them and not require streaming equipment to capture my console :p. I used to stream a fair bit but haven't done so as much since I got a job in April of last year (though since I quit that job in October I've streamed a few times). Hopefully I can get a new job and work out a good balance of speedgaming and working.

BUT ANYWAY yeah I was at AGDQ last year for the whole marathon, even got on the couch a couple times for the games I ran that my friends were playing in the marathon. If you look at the video archive (https://archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2013) from last year for games like Super Mario World and Super Metroid and see a guy in the front row with a Lehigh hoodie and a reddish-blonde beard who introduces himself as "Spim", that's me. I'll be arriving at this year's AGDQ on Tuesday, ideally just before the Super Mario Bros 3 run. And I'll probably leave right after the Super Metroid race on Friday (I'm leaving sometime on Friday). idk when/if I'll be on camera during that time, but between Tues and Fri would be the time to look for me.

Or just watch the whole thing and make donations to the Prevent Cancer Foundation because they're a pretty dang awesome charity. Either/Or.

Dr Unne
01-04-2014, 07:36 AM
That's cool, Denmark. If you ever stream, you should add your Twitch username to your profile on the forums here so you show up on our Streams page.

I haven't been into speedrunning for too long either but I loved watching the past couple AGDQ's/SGDQ's. I fanboy out in speedrunners' chats on Twitch all the time. I watched feasel play FF1 for weeks until he got world record, that was good times. The community is great. People compete hard but there seem to be so few jerks about it.

My wife is currently trying to speedrun an NES game (The Immortal) so that we can go to SGDQ or AGDQ next year and not be embarrassed at sucking. I'm planning to start running Bionic Commando at some point soon.

TrollHunter
01-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Ha, don't worry about it, I didn't try TOO hard to promote it last year xD I think I made a thread in Private Feedback or something like "I'm gonna be at this thing here's some info please tell other people about it"

But yeah I've been watching speedruns since about 2007 and somewhat actively involved in the community since sometime in 2011. The main games I ran were SNES games which was partly due to the fact that I could emulate them and not require streaming equipment to capture my console :p. I used to stream a fair bit but haven't done so as much since I got a job in April of last year (though since I quit that job in October I've streamed a few times). Hopefully I can get a new job and work out a good balance of speedgaming and working.

BUT ANYWAY yeah I was at AGDQ last year for the whole marathon, even got on the couch a couple times for the games I ran that my friends were playing in the marathon. If you look at the video archive (https://archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2013) from last year for games like Super Mario World and Super Metroid and see a guy in the front row with a Lehigh hoodie and a reddish-blonde beard who introduces himself as "Spim", that's me. I'll be arriving at this year's AGDQ on Tuesday, ideally just before the Super Mario Bros 3 run. And I'll probably leave right after the Super Metroid race on Friday (I'm leaving sometime on Friday). idk when/if I'll be on camera during that time, but between Tues and Fri would be the time to look for me.

Or just watch the whole thing and make donations to the Prevent Cancer Foundation because they're a pretty dang awesome charity. Either/Or.

Let's keep this thread alive then so people can't simply ignore it!
And I'll be watching nearly all of the marathon as usual. I'll be sure to keep my eye out for you definitely! I'll try and find you in the older runs as well. Pretty crazy to think someone on the forum has been.

That's cool, Denmark. If you ever stream, you should add your Twitch username to your profile on the forums here so you show up on our Streams page.

I haven't been into speedrunning for too long either but I loved watching the past couple AGDQ's/SGDQ's. I fanboy out in speedrunners' chats on Twitch all the time. I watched feasel play FF1 for weeks until he got world record, that was good times. The community is great. People compete hard but there seem to be so few jerks about it.

My wife is currently trying to speedrun an NES game (The Immortal) so that we can go to SGDQ or AGDQ next year and not be embarrassed at sucking. I'm planning to start running Bionic Commando at some point soon.

Oh man, I love feasels stream though I have a lot of difficulty catching him when he's on.
I know if I put in the time I could get really good at Ratchet 3, but I don't think I have the dedication to get good enough for SGDQ or AGDQ. That wont stop me from going though and trying to meet as many speedrunners as possible. Being able to meet people like Bonesaw cosmo or trihex would be an amazing experience.

Dr Unne
01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
This has been a lot of fun to watch so far. As long as you keep Twitch chat closed. What a cesspool.

TrollHunter
01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
This has been a lot of fun to watch so far. As long as you keep Twitch chat closed. What a cesspool.

I learned to avoid the twitch chat on my first marathon. IRC is less filled with bigotry, autism insults, sexism, and everything fun about twitch chat at least. At least, last time I was there it wasnt nearly as bad.

As for the marathon... the F-Zero segment was my favorite so far. It never fails to be awesome, and CGN is just a king at GX. Can never go wrong with the awful games segment though :p

Dr Unne
01-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it looks like IRC is leaps and bounds better.

Zoo Race was pretty amazing just now.

TrollHunter
01-09-2014, 12:20 PM
I was very pleasantly surprised by Zoo Race. I don't know what I was expecting, but nothing could have prepared me for that.
And the little duck tales bit near the end was amazing.

Spuuky
01-09-2014, 05:03 PM
I've been in and out, but the Mario portion was extremely boring. Mega Man X/Zero was much better; you can just move through the game so much faster and more compellingly. Also, at least one of the Mario guys kind of sucked and kept dying, and the MM Zero 3 guy was incredible.

TrollHunter
01-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I've been in and out, but the Mario portion was extremely boring. Mega Man X/Zero was much better; you can just move through the game so much faster and more compellingly. Also, at least one of the Mario guys kind of sucked and kept dying, and the MM Zero 3 guy was incredible.

Dying a lot tends to happen when you're under the pressure of 60,000 viewers. Bonesaw577 used to have the WR for Jak and Daxter any% and he's amazing at the game yet during this marathon he was messing up a ton of tricks he hasnt screwed up in months. That happens during marathons, and it's pretty hard to get on AGDQ if you suck.

EDIT: But take this from someone who missed the mario block. I'll have to watch the runs to really judge that.
BUT
One part that bothered me was the DKC3 run where one of the DKC2 runners kept bashing on the game. I thought a lot of his commentary was uncalled for and kinda rude.

TrollHunter
01-12-2014, 09:29 AM
This may be a double-post but no ones really read this thread anyway.

As of 2am tonight AGDQ2014 raised over 1 million dollars for the prevent cancer foundation. Completely and utterly ridiculous. This has been an amazing week, truly fantastic. I am so hyped right now.