PDA

View Full Version : Vampires

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-03-2014, 05:14 AM
"Vampires don't sparkle!", says the fan who spends roughly zero percent of their free time on mythological research. These are the same people who, ironically, think burning in the sun is part of the original lore.

Fun fact:

"Vampires tend to be a metaphor for dangerous or forbidden sex. In Bram Stoker’s day, he perceived that danger to be the supposedly impure gypsy blood of Eastern Europe threatening the purportedly upstanding sensibilities of the English people. Stoker played on that cultural fear in his novel, even though it was not rooted in reality.

Also, the homosexual nature of the relationship between Dracula and Jonathan Harker was very taboo at the time. If you watch Murnau’s silent film version of Dracula, Nosferatu, you will see that the way the Count is defeated is by having Wilhelmina give herself to the vampire willingly as a source of blood, in a way weaning him of his homosexual tendencies and bringing him back in line with the more traditional, heterosexual norms of the time.

The sun just happened to come up at that point of the film & since then the idea of vampires not being able to come out in the day time was worked in to vampire mythology."

Discuss vampires.

Shorty
01-03-2014, 05:31 AM
I always thought of vampires just having no sexual preference one way or the other. Buncha bloodless flip-floppers if you ask me!

I am loyal to the Vampire Chronicles. Long live Anne Rice, that crazy old batty crone.

Shiny
01-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Vlad the Impaler is my favorite vampire since he actually existed.

Pumpkin
01-03-2014, 06:31 AM
I like vampire stories for the most part.

Forsaken Lover
01-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Interview with the Vampire was a great adaptation.

Except for Armand. It did not give me my beautiful Amadeo, the sexiest vamp Anne Rice ever made. Hell, he's probably the sexiest vamp ever.

Ayen
01-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Still waiting for Mina to visit me. *casually exposes his neck*

Shorty
01-03-2014, 07:00 AM
I like Armand!

I read his book once but... I don't remember if I loved it or hated it. I'm fairly certain I remember thinking nothing after Tale of the Body Thief was worth reading, and stopped in the middle of Memnoch the Devil for some reason. I should find out why, because I can't remember ;-;

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-03-2014, 07:58 AM
All I know is that I would do dirty, dirty things to Eric Northman.

omgoodness yes. Oh so many dirty things.

Psychotic
01-03-2014, 08:12 AM
All I know is that I would do dirty, dirty things to Eric Northman.Northman? Shove it. Damon Salvatore > Eric Northman and Vampire Diaries > True Blood. True Blood is actually one of the worst shows of the 21st Century. Unbelievably dull.

...did I really just make this post?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Psychotic I'm afraid you've made your alligator mouth point in the wrong direction :greenie:

Freya
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Damon is pretty awesome... He does have that correct...

Parker
01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever read a vampire book or watched a vampire movie or TV show

Forsaken Lover
01-03-2014, 06:46 PM
I like Armand!

I read his book once but... I don't remember if I loved it or hated it. I'm fairly certain I remember thinking nothing after Tale of the Body Thief was worth reading, and stopped in the middle of Memnoch the Devil for some reason. I should find out why, because I can't remember ;-;

Of the post-Queen of the Damned Books, Armand'S and Blood and Gold (Marius' book) are the most favorably reviewed. Tale of the Body Thief was awful and Memnoch was just weird.

But Armand...my darling Armand....
Browsing deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/?q=amadeo&offset=0)
Browsing deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/?q=vampire+armand)

Antonio Banderas is not MY Armand.

Shorty
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM

The only person cast properly in that film was Tom Cruise because he plays a perfect furious, sadistic, self-obsessed asshole. Everyone else was pretty bad, but it's still a guilty pleasure of mine. :(

I had to shut the Queen of the Damned film off.

Can we... is it okay to talk about Lost Boys? Because that is another really bad vampire movie but I love it so much xD

Madonna
01-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Vampires are fictional creatures. You can make up anything you want.

Ghosteses
01-03-2014, 07:03 PM
omg sarah i saw that movie recently and i loved it =D but i also saw the first dracula movie... in like black and white last summer.

i have not seen twilight because everything i heard about it is bad and people keep telling me how horrible it is xD

Shorty
01-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Dracula is a classic. So is Nosferatu.

Ghosteses
01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
i guess because i am a kid myself i did not care if she is bad or not but she must have been good enough or i would have noticed :x

Calliope
01-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but:

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/d/dracula-dead-and-loving-it-1995-.jpg

Forsaken Lover
01-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Dunst was great. Most seem to agree hr and Cruise stole the whole movie. Although I enjoyd Pitt as Louis. Louis is just not a popular character in general, the poor thing. He doesn't fit into the way people want to think of vampires ie. gaudy, living forever is awesome, superpowered badasses. That's why so many loved Lestat, even though he's almost as miserable as Louis when you strip away all his posturing.

But yes, Pitt is a good actor and he did well.

Shorty
01-03-2014, 07:56 PM
I enjoy Louis' literary character. I think Brad Pitt was too broody and sullen as him.

Ghosteses
01-03-2014, 08:01 PM
now i want to ask my aunt if i can borrow this movie again :x

Ayen
01-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Interview with a Vampire was a brilliant movie with a brilliant cast all around and I say that as someone who is indifferent towards Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in general. Queen of the Damned needs to be burned, shot, stabbed and thrown into a tub of acid so that it may never harm another living soul again. I only read brief parts about the book it adapted and my god did they smurf up.

Another old favorite of mine, besides the black and white Dracula which is legend, is Bram Stoker's Dracula 1992 'cause Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder.

Elskidor
01-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Interview with a Vampire was a brilliant movie with a brilliant cast all around and I say that as someone who is indifferent towards Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in general. Queen of the Damned needs to be burned, shot, stabbed and thrown into a tub of acid so that it may never harm another living soul again. I only read brief parts about the book it adapted and my god did they smurf up.

Some times I just have to agree with every word you say. It's messed up!

LunarWeaver
01-04-2014, 12:48 AM
I like Buffy's vampires the best. They leave very little mess when they die. They're rather polite that way.

Carl the Llama
01-04-2014, 03:08 AM

The only person cast properly in that film was Tom Cruise because he plays a perfect furious, sadistic, self-obsessed asshole. Everyone else was pretty bad, but it's still a guilty pleasure of mine. :(

I had to shut the Queen of the Damned film off.

Can we... is it okay to talk about Lost Boys? Because that is another really bad vampire movie but I love it so much xD

When I was a kid, I used to watch The Lost Boys every single day for over a month, freaking LOVED that film.

If we are going to talk about favourites, then Interview with the Vampire was my favourite. Bought it on BluRay a few weeks ago and I don't regret it.

I like Buffy's vampires the best. They leave very little mess when they die. They're rather polite that way.

I loved the Buffy/Angel series, was majorly disappointed when they decided to stop making Angel.

Ayen
01-04-2014, 03:23 AM
*has the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD*

Elskidor
01-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Oh yes, although not entirely crazy as the rest of the world when it comes to vampires, but I do love Interview with the Vampire, Vampie D (art done by Yoshitaka Amano Final Fantasy fans!) and own all of Buffy and Angel. I prefer Angel more than Buffy though.

I also didn't mind Twilight, although I think I just liked the first one and the last 30 minutes of the final one, because I can't remember what the hell the other movies were about. I try to stay a way from vampire related things so its usually years after a tv show or vamp movie comes out until I stumble upon it. Not really my preferred type of fantasy.

Ayen
01-04-2014, 04:31 AM
I finally watched the first movie to see what all the huba duba was about and it was nowhere near as bad as people said. But I don't think it's the movies where most of the hate stems from, it's the poorly written book that somehow passes for literacy where most of the hate stems from and I can understand that, only made it four pages through. I find it funny it's the 'sparkling vampires' bit that people get the most fired up about. Because I think Twilight as a story has way more problems than just making vampires glitter.

Forsaken Lover
01-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Ya know just because I love me some pretty yaoi vampires doesn't mean i can't appreciate the....uglier side of things.

FUCK YOU EVERYBODY GOOD NIGHT! (http://videobam.com/eVAfT)

Also the true King of the Vampires
9QGLYFzqMZA
4DOKzTHaPfM

Ayen
01-04-2014, 06:04 AM
YES! Legacy of Kain! ♥

I keep forgetting those guys are vampires.

black orb
01-04-2014, 06:35 AM
>>> I like some vampires from the Castlevania games.. :luca:

and I hate the hollywood ones..

Ayen
01-04-2014, 06:42 AM
Someone gotta say it: World of Darkness.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Legacy of Kain is great! Glad you brought that series up, FL. Blood Omen 2 is on sale at the SE online store right now for $3.49

I finally watched the first movie to see what all the huba duba was about and it was nowhere near as bad as people said. But I don't think it's the movies where most of the hate stems from, it's the poorly written book that somehow passes for literacy where most of the hate stems from and I can understand that, only made it four pages through. I find it funny it's the 'sparkling vampires' bit that people get the most fired up about. Because I think Twilight as a story has way more problems than just making vampires glitter.

People like to talk about things they dislike in the books, but the negativity was largely unnoticed until the release of the first movie. After which, people went back and read the books.