PDA

View Full Version : Almond Milk

Night Fury
01-04-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm trying to go a bit more dairy free this year, so I picked up some almond milk as I've heard it's delightful. I'm just not sure what I can do with it? Just add it into coffee and stuff? I have no idea!

Does anyone else use Almond Milk? got any nice recipes?

Ashi
01-04-2014, 05:20 PM
I go dairy-free from time to time also but almond milk just didn't taste good to me, and I prefer unsweetened soy milk.

The only things I do with it is drink it with tea (indian style...boil water, boil tea then add the milk and let it all boil together!), or add it to cereal.

Maybe if you like smoothies (I personally don't add milk or yogurt to my smoothies if I have them) maybe you could use almond milk instead of regular.

Calliope
01-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I use it for everything - drinking, coffee, cereal, baking, making "cheese" sauce for pasta, and by now the thought of drinking regular milk makes me feel ill (that weird, tongue-coating aftertaste!). The almond milk I use has almost double the amount of calcium in bovine milk - so if you do your research you may be able to reap some health benefits as well depending on what your goals are or if you're just experimenting, etc.

There are a lot of alternative milks out there - I don't really like soy, coconut or rice, and haven't tried hemp or oat. Almond milk seems to be the best dairy free milk for its price point. I did drink Vitasoy and So Good for years before I tried almond milk, and they did the job too.

MILK MILK MILK MILK :blahblah:

Spuuky
01-04-2014, 07:00 PM
As a non-vegan living with a vegan, I can confirm that almond milk is significantly better than cow's milk (which is intolerable, except in very limited quantities for cooking or cereal or something).

The only thing worse than cow's milk is soy milk.

Pumpkin
01-04-2014, 07:05 PM
I can drink it, but I'm not huge on it.

My son loves it though. My mom makes him pancakes using a particular recipe she found. I can ask her for it if you're interested.

Mirage
01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't understand what tastes bad in milk. I can drink liters upon liters of it.

Minami
01-04-2014, 10:59 PM
The only milk i use now is almond milk. Its really yummy plus really low calorie. I just use it in anything i would put milk in before though i don't have any specific recipes. It makes really creamy porridge though

Shiny
01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
While almond milk is perhaps the healthier option, I prefer Lactaid milk for my non-dairy needs.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 01:42 AM
I like it for chai lattes. Haven't tried it with much else, but I don't use or drink milk very often at all.

Ghosteses
01-05-2014, 03:05 AM
almond milk is the only milk besides cows milk that i will drink just by itself.

i usually use it to cook oatmeal instead of 100% water but i do not know of much else. and i like salmon with cheeses and mayonnaise so maybe i might just be weird xD

Night Fury
01-05-2014, 03:27 AM
I tried making hot chocolate with it last night. Results were awesome, it had that lovely rich chocolate flavour with a hint of nut - and it wasn't so creamy that it was hard to finish. Also...... no milky bellyaches!

fire_of_avalon
01-05-2014, 05:28 AM
Are you lactose intolerant? Just curious since you mentioned bellyaches.

starlet
01-05-2014, 05:38 AM
I started using almond milk a few months back because I hardly use regular milk for much unless a recipe calls for it or I happen to get cereal, and regular milk just goes bad too fast. I'd end up dumping half a half gallon by the time it would expire. I have yet to dump a half gallon of almond milk.

Night Fury
01-05-2014, 05:41 AM
Partially foa, yes. Like, my symptoms aren't terribly serious but I do get differing types of belly pain when I have dairy products - mostly milk. I find I go okay with cheese as long as I don't eat too much in one go.

Marshall Banana
01-05-2014, 08:30 AM
I like the vanilla almond milk I had once (this (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blue-diamond-almond-milk-almond-breeze-vanilla-32-fl-oz-liquid?SourceCode=INTL405&CAWELAID=1318194390&catargetid=530002460000000567&cadevice=c&mkwid=tajrpZ3o&pcrid=18953397607&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPe-zJvO5rsCFQtBQgodjDUAog), I think). It goes well with cereal that isn't very sweet.

I bet it's good for cookie-dippin', too!