PDA

View Full Version : Big Bang Theory

Niale
01-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Try to laugh at this clip :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs
Most sitcoms need a laugh track incase you don't know what to laugh at.
Either way, how about you.

Slothy
01-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I personally find the whole complaining about a laugh track thing to be stale. It screams of "oh look how cool I am I don't like laugh tracks. I'm so edgy," even when that's not what people are doing. Because something's either funny or it isn't and a laugh track, or a coached studio audience, or whatever isn't going to change that. Some great comedies have had no laugh track and some of the greatest ever made did. What's the big deal?

Niale
01-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I personally find the whole complaining about a laugh track thing to be stale. It screams of "oh look how cool I am I don't like laugh tracks. I'm so edgy," even when that's not what people are doing. Because something's either funny or it isn't and a laugh track, or a coached studio audience, or whatever isn't going to change that. Some great comedies have had no laugh track and some of the greatest ever made did. What's the big deal?

Don't really mind if people do like laugh tracks, but its distracting for my taste.
But ey, whatever works.
Edit: This would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJwLb2XmIg

Del Murder
01-04-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm so used to the laugh track that it doesn't bother me if it's in the show of if it's out of the show. It doesn't make me any more or less likely to laugh. I laughed at the video a couple times. :ffvilaugh:

noxious.sunshine
01-04-2014, 05:59 PM
I love BBT .. So very much.

Niale
01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm so used to the laugh track that it doesn't bother me if it's in the show of if it's out of the show. It doesn't make me any more or less likely to laugh. I laughed at the video a couple times. :ffvilaugh:

Hehe

Old Manus
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I find TBBT to be unfunny to the point where I either have to change the channel or leave the room. And this is coming from a guy who thought Friends was pretty funny.

escobert
01-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I don't like BBT and I don't care if a show has a laugh track or not. I prefer them without but doesn't really bother me when they're in there.

Sephex
01-04-2014, 09:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ht44p.jpg

Shlup
01-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Well taking out the laughing obviously fucks with the pacing, but that makes its own kind of funny.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 04:45 AM
I like this show. I laugh at it. I don't get why people hate it. Leonard is a sad, sweet little puppy I want to take home, Raj is a little sweetie I want to pinch on the cheeks and tell him everything is going to be okay, Sheldon is, well, Sheldon, Penny is a likable sassy airhead and Bernadette is just fantastic.

The bazinga stuff is unfunny, though, I'll give the haters that.

Pumpkin
01-05-2014, 04:48 AM
I don't mind the show but I don't go out of my way to watch it. Haven't seen it in at least a year and a half now.

I do think Bernadette is adorable though :3

noxious.sunshine
01-05-2014, 04:51 AM
I freaking love Bernadette!

Kaley Cuoco is chucking hot tho. She can get it. I might've had a small crush on her ever since "8 Simple Rules".. lulz

I find it very funny that there's so many cast members from Roseanne: David/Leonard, Aunt Jackie/Sheldon's Mom, & Darlene/Whatever her name is on BBT .. Sarah? Susan? IDK

Ayen
01-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I enjoy the Big Bang Theory when I sit down to watch it. I know Johnny Galecki from Rosanne and enjoy seeing other cast members from that show make special guest appearances. Kaley Cuoco I know from 8 Simple Rules and Charmed and Jim Parsons is the funniest cast member on there and probably the only reason the show has survived this long.

I can understand why some wouldn't like it, though. At times the geek/nerd aspects do seem a little on the stereotypical side. Like saying Steven Spielberg and George Lucas are the greatest filmmakers of all time, hating on Indiana Jones 4, liking Zachary Quinto as Spock despite having reservations about the reboot of Star Trek. They seem to take the most generic opinion of someone who may classify as a geek/nerd and make a joke out of it then use big words to fulfill the rest of the criteria, but I don't take it seriously enough to be bother by that.

And I couldn't care less about the laugh track.

Parker
01-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Its one of those shows where it is funny for the first episode and then maybe the second and then you realise all the jokes are the same and none of the characters are interesting enough to help you ignore the fact you're listening to the same jokes over and over again

blackmage_nuke
01-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Taking out the laugh track screws up the timing and proves nothing

I dont enjoy the show and feel that it's a lot less clever than other shows that arent trying appeal to alpha nerds

also Breaking Bad The Sitcom Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZpo89mmJo)

Pumpkin
01-05-2014, 03:45 PM
I like laugh tracks. My favorite shows use laugh tracks or studio audiences.

Friend, Will & Grace, That 70's Show, How I Met Your Mother, etc.

Mirage
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
BBT is blackface for nerds.

I don't really like it.

As for laugh tracks in general, I've never ever liked them, and probably never will. Call it stale or whatever but that's how it is.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Its one of those shows where it is funny for the first episode and then maybe the second and then you realise all the jokes are the same and none of the characters are interesting enough to help you ignore the fact you're listening to the same jokes over and over again

This could be said about any sitcom, really.

Mirage
01-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Why I also don't really watch sitcoms.

Parker
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
This could be said about any sitcom, really.

Yep, it could. I can't say I disagree with that. It's a personal decision. With Friends for example, I liked the characters and the general plotlines (when I was a teen). I just don't feel the same way about BBT. The characters and plot aren't different enough to justify the jokes. Although there was catchphrasing to an extent in Friends, it wasn't like the audience needed to hear a "Bazinga" or a "D'oh!" in every single episode or ratings would drop.

Slothy
01-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Take the laughter out of Seinfeld and the dialogue would have awkward pauses all over (plus the cast would probably start making out every five seconds). Still the funniest sitcom ever made though.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Take the laughter out of Seinfeld and the dialogue would have awkward pauses all over. Still the funniest sitcom ever made though.

This is why Curb Your Enthusiasm works, though xD It's the same thing as Seinfeld, just without the laugh track!

Slothy
01-05-2014, 05:14 PM
That just proves the laugh track doesn't matter.

noxious.sunshine
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Seinfeld is funny?

#not

I'm the type of person that I don't think new seasons of anything are funny though.. Like the new season of HIMYM? It won't be funny to me for another couple of years when it gets syndicated. Same with BBT although it has made me laugh a time or two so far. I'll think it's mega funny later on though.

Night Fury
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
I quite enjoy BBT as light hearted fluff. I don't find it that funny but its okay. I prefer Modern Family and New Girl for my laughs though.

Slothy
01-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Seinfeld is funny?

#not

Have you been drinking?

Wait. Never mind. :p

noxious.sunshine
01-05-2014, 06:37 PM
ha. ha. ha.

lmao I really don't find Seinfeld funny at all, tbh.

Karifean
01-05-2014, 10:57 PM
I enjoyed Big Bang Theory for a while but it got stale. And once a friend of mine showed me Steins;Gate I realized how much better this kind of show can be. Because honestly, BBT is inferior to Steins;Gate in, well, every way. Admittedly it's hard to compare a long-running American sitcom with a Japanese anime, but when directly comparing what they do share, Steins;Gate destroys BBT.

Miriel
01-06-2014, 10:18 AM
I used to really like Big Bang Theory. And then I thought the show got progressively less funny, more annoying, and shockingly sexist. So yeah... it's kind of descended into the pit of smarmy-playing-it-dumb-for-the-masses-but-occasionally-still-funny-mediocre sitcoms, when it used to be something kind of fun and quirky.

Shlup
01-06-2014, 10:07 PM

Life tip: Never say that in front of a black person. To use a tumblrism: Check yo' privilege. xD

Psychotic
01-06-2014, 10:11 PM
BBT amused me when I first saw it because I liked watching Sheldon rip into people, but as others in this thread have said after 4 or 5 episodes the jokes all become the same. Raj still can't talk to women! That's hilarious! Howard's mother yells at him a lot! Hee hee! :confused: I don't know how the hell they've managed to stretch these same jokes out for so long and still make money for it but I must admit I'd love to know their secret.

Elskidor
01-06-2014, 11:02 PM
The only secret is Sheldon

Slothy
01-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Raj still can't talk to women!

Actually he's been able to for a while now.

Shorty
01-07-2014, 02:58 AM
SPOILER ALERT :mad2:

Bunny
01-07-2014, 04:32 AM
It's okay to have on in the background where I can only half pay attention to what is going on. It doesn't warrant full attention though and is laughably bad the majority of the time.

Shlup
01-08-2014, 08:53 AM
I really only watch it for Sheldon and Amy. It's a unique relationship and I like it.

Rostum
01-09-2014, 04:40 AM
I've enjoyed watching lately, it has its funny moments.

maybee
01-09-2014, 07:06 AM
ha. ha. ha.

lmao I really don't find Seinfeld funny at all, tbh.

Same here, never got the whole Seinfeld thing, but eh.

Shauna
01-09-2014, 09:19 PM
It's nice for a bit of background noise. It's dumb and often completely unfunny, but it has its moments that keeps me watching.

Mirage
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Life tip: Never say that in front of a black person. To use a tumblrism: Check yo' privilege. xD

whatever

It's non-nerds making a show about how they think nerds are

Araciel
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Blackface for nerds lolol very apt.

Laughtracks aren't just to tell you when to laugh, they are also preying on instinct. If you hear people laughing, you should have at least some urge to laugh as well.

*shrugs* it's still on so they're doing something right, no matter how hipster we all are about it.

Also Kaley was hot circa season 1-3 but now... eh

Mirage
01-10-2014, 03:40 PM
I know that, but that doesn't make it any better. The audience shouldn't need help with laughing if the show is actually as funny as the laugh track implies that it is

Christmas
04-12-2022, 01:20 PM
I love this show!! :kaoclove:

Nowadays you can just post what you want without giving a fuck on what most of the ppl in the thread said. :bigsmile: