PDA

View Full Version : Bionic Commando: Rearmed

Dr Unne
01-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Watch me play Bionic Commando: Rearmed

I'm going to play through Bionic Commando: Rearmed at 6PM PST (yes, in two short hours) live on Twitch, here: OrigamiWombat (http://www.twitch.tv/origamiwombat)

For those who haven't played it, you're missing out. Bionic Commando is a 2D platformer where you can't jump. Instead you swing around using your bionic arm's grappling hook. It was an insanely novel concept for a 1987 NES game. (Can we somehow replace 2014 Capcom with 1987 Capcom? :()

The game was remade in 2009, and the remake is AWESOME. It's 99% true to the original, while adding all kinds of new content. The music by Simon Viklund is top-notch, they have ragdoll physics for the enemy models, it's all good. It also doesn't take itself at all seriously.

Have you ever wanted to see someone who's definitely NOT Hitler die in a horrific fashion? You've come to the right place.

Use this thread to talk about how good a game BC and BC:Rearmed are. We can pretend BC:Rearmed 2 never existed.

(And I hope some people come hang out and watch me play. I plan to play until I beat the game or get too drunk to work the controls.)

Pike
01-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately that's my bedtime but best of luck! I cannot say I've played any Bionic Commando game. Truly I am the most casual of casuals :(

Dr Unne
01-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Sorry you can't make it Pike. Maybe next stream.

Starting in 10 minutes~

Scotty_ffgamer
01-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I really enjoyed the little I watched before I had to disappear!

Skyblade
01-05-2014, 08:25 PM
I avoided this thread due to thinking that you were discussing THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando_(2009_video_game)) game. Sorry about that. If you start streaming again, let me know.

Tasura
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
By the time I got to be able to watch it was less Rearmed, more Spelunky, but I still stayed to watch for awhile~

Dr Unne
01-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks Tasura and scotty for hanging out. :ty:

I avoided this thread due to thinking that you were discussing THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando_(2009_video_game)) game.

*shudder*

Skyblade
01-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks Tasura and scotty for hanging out. :ty:

I avoided this thread due to thinking that you were discussing THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Commando_(2009_video_game)) game.

*shudder*

See? See? You don't blame me for that, do you?

Honestly, I never realized that they made another 2-D Bionic Commando game. I'm kind of interested to see how it played out. The first one was incredibly fun, but unrefined (as is perhaps unsurprising of an NES game). If they did do a more recent remake, cleaning up the controls and movement could help it out a ton. I'll have to try it at some point.

Dr Unne
01-06-2014, 08:17 PM
It's a great remake in a lot of ways. The swinging controls in Rearmed are mostly the same. The swinging was what made the original game good, so they left it alone, which I like. They added secret areas and challenge modes that require way more skillful swinging than anything in the original game. Swinging controls even in the NES game were surprisingly deep. There are some precise tricks you can do that they kept in the remake.

They refined the combat a lot though. In the NES version, once you get the bazooka, you never ever want to use another weapon because bazooka does the most damage, infinite range, and the bullets have a huge hitbox. Other weapons have limited range or do so much less damage that there's no sense using them. In Rearmed they made bazooka shoot slowly and have drawbacks: the missiles also hurt your character if you're too close, and the missiles have a sort of wavy path across the screen, and bullets can explode the missiles. They also buffed/redesigned all the other weapons so all of them are useful now.

I went through Medium difficulty pretty easily, less than two hours. I'm thinking of streaming it again on Hard mode, which is significantly harder. I don't know if I can actually get through Hard mode in one sitting. Also not sure of people's level of interest.

Ayen
01-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Can we somehow replace 2014 Capcom with 1987 Capcom?

Just gotta master the art of time travel, go back to 1987 and kidnap the Capcom staff and bring them back to the future. Nothing like a blast from the past to jump start a dying breed.

I never heard of this game, or the game that Skyblade thought this game was, and I missed the live stream because I'm lame. That's okay, I would have been lazy and not watched anyway because I'm even lamer than just ordinary lame, but I'm loving the sound of the concept. It's so good had you not said it was Capcom 1987 I would have thought you were making up stuff.