PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Advice

Pumpkin
01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I've been seeing this a lot recently and it is kind of annoying. Like in an article about being able to afford to travel, which interested me because I have not much money and would like to travel, one piece of advice was "Win a sweepstakes." Oh, okay, thanks. That's like butting "Win the lottery" as financial advice.

Then I read something else about how to earn more money and one of the pieces of advice was "Work hard and save money" :hattip:. Thanks for that. You obviously do know how to make money because someone payed you to write that.

What is some annoying advice you've received?

Pike
01-05-2014, 03:59 PM
"Take a 15 minute break every hour that you are playing video games"

Spooniest
01-05-2014, 04:54 PM
"Be cool/be yourself." People can never make up their minds which it is they want.

Parker
01-05-2014, 04:55 PM
"Just force yourself to smile, and depression will go away!"

Shorty
01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
"If you want to do something, just do it."

Slothy
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
"Take a 15 minute break every hour that you are playing video games"

Fucking Link Between Worlds telling me to take a break everytime I save. I'm 28 years old. I'll take a break when I damn well feel like it! :colbert:

noxious.sunshine
01-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Pretty much anything anyone's ever tried to tell me in the way of advice IRL... It's either crap I already know or it's just like.. Not good advice at all.

'Cuz.. You know. I'm Always Right. I know what I need to do and when I need to do it & I'll do it when I damn well feel like it, tyvm.

and literally everything everyone ever tried telling me while I was pregnant. "Oh you can't eat sushi! It isn't safe!" ............ Screw you. As long as it doesn't have a high level of mercury and you limit it to every once in awhile, it's fine. "You shouldn't drink while pregnant!" Eh. Wrong. A glass or 2 a week of white wine is ok. Mix it with Sprite & ice, you can have 4 glasses.

Ashi
01-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Hmm. People telling me not to take an antibiotic when I had a kidney infection and that I should take an herbal remedy. And being told not to lay on my back during pregnancy because that could cause my tailbone to "break". :O

Calliope
01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
"Cheer up! Stop being so negative!"

"Have you tried going door-to-door looking for jobs?"

"Have you tried asking for help?"

"Why don't you think about what you want to do?"

Also, any sort of "inspirational lifestyle article" where a wealthy Millennial or Gen X tycoon drops everything and goes backpacking around Europe for six months in order to "discover themselves" and their "core values".

Lonely Paper Star
01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
"You should talk more."

... Maybe I don't have anything nice to say.

"You should go out with--"

No.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-05-2014, 07:40 PM
"You should talk more" is one I hear a lot. More it's my parents getting upset with me because I really don't talk that much. I hear things like "I know you talk to your friends/everyone else more than us" a lot. I try to tell them i really don't most of the time, but they don't believe me. I'm pretty universally known among for being quiet.

I don't get annoying advice very often though. In general, I really don't get any advice very often.

kotora
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Some of the advice here is pretty sensible :monster:

Slothy
01-05-2014, 10:43 PM

I've basically done this before. It didn't work.

In fact, I don't know anyone who's actually gotten a job this way.

Shlup
01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
New mom's got this topic on lock.

"Your baby doesn't need to get vaccinated against deadly diseases because 'chemicals' are icky."

"You should make your baby 'sleep' in her crib instead of with immediate tit access because smurf your happiness and wellbeing."

"Get her Baby Einstein! Plopping a six-month-old in front of the TV is a great way for them to learn!"

"This toy with seventeen buttons, eleventy flashing lights, and two unbearably enthusiastic phrases is the only smurfing way to teach her cause-and-effect!"

"She's teething. You should do something about that."

"No teeth after four months of me saying over and over that she must be teething? Nope, I'm still smurfing sure she's teething."

"How come you never put bows and flowers and trout on her head? How else are people supposed to know she has a vagina? THE PEOPLE MUST KNOW."

"You need to put her on her tummy more. Her cries of terror and anguish mean she's learning!"

"Don't respond to her cries so quickly! It will somehow help her lungs. Fuck her emotional development!"

"Don't hold her too much! Letting her know you love her will make her spoiled."

Though I'm pretty sure she's actually teething now because she's been chewing and acting like a little bitch for the last three days.

I have a couple of times.

I tried it once and people looked at me like I was crazy.

Elskidor
01-05-2014, 11:38 PM

I did when I was 10 or 11. I mowed half the neighborhood's lawns and raked in a fortune for that age. I'm afraid I'd get spit at if I went door to door asking for work now though.

Slothy
01-05-2014, 11:51 PM

"Your baby doesn't need to get vaccinated against deadly diseases because 'chemicals' are icky."

"You should make your baby 'sleep' in her crib instead of with immediate tit access because smurf your happiness and wellbeing."

"Get her Baby Einstein! Plopping a six-month-old in front of the TV is a great way for them to learn!"

"This toy with seventeen buttons, eleventy flashing lights, and two unbearably enthusiastic phrases is the only smurfing way to teach her cause-and-effect!"

"No teeth after four months of me saying over and over that she must be teething? Nope, I'm still smurfing sure she's teething."

"How come you never put bows and flowers and trout on her head? How else are people supposed to know she has a vagina? THE PEOPLE MUST KNOW."

"You need to put her on her tummy more. Her cries of terror and anguish mean she's learning!"

"Don't respond to her cries so quickly! It will somehow help her lungs. smurf her emotional development!"

Though I'm pretty sure she's actually teething now because she's been chewing and acting like a little bitch for the last three days.

I'm no parent, nor is my dislike of children something which is well hidden, but even I'm going "what the smurf" at those.

I assumed we were talking door-to-door businesses, not places of residence.

That's what I meant.

Pumpkin
01-05-2014, 11:55 PM

"Don't respond to her cries so quickly! It will somehow help her lungs. smurf her emotional development!"

Yeah I don't know why people feel the need to do this, unless you ask for advice specifically.

What works for one person's child doesn't work for others. My son loved tummy time for example. I let him sleep with me in the bed and now he has his own bed and he's doing just fine.

You know your baby better than anyone is what I'm trying to say. They can all shut their mouths.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-06-2014, 12:05 AM
"You ought to at least have a boyfriend at your ag-"
NO.

Ayen
01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
"If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."

My response:

Shlup
01-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah, it's 2014. Have people really not figured out that new moms don't want advice (and if they do, they'll ask for it)?

It never ends. Both times we were discussing her doctor's visits and BJ and I mentioned she got a flu shot, someone (BJ's mom and then my dad) said something about putting so many chemicals in a baby... Twenty people have died this year from influenza, one in the county I live in, and I work at Disneyland, which is basically germtopia. She got a small injection of chemicals and then got over it. You know what would be harder for her to get over? Influenza. Jackasses.

NOW THIS THREAD HAS SET ME OFF.

Yar
01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
"Smoking is bad for you."

"Maybe you shouldn't drink tonight."

Fuck you.

Bubba
01-06-2014, 01:00 AM
"A problem shared is a problem halved"

If I'm honest, it's probably doubled now I'm on the sex offenders register.

Slothy
01-06-2014, 01:31 AM
"A problem shared is a problem halved"

If I'm honest, it's probably doubled now I'm on the sex offenders register.

Wha! :eek:

Bubba
01-06-2014, 01:46 AM
I'm not really, it was just a joke in very poor taste.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely to be my last.

Slothy
01-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Thank god. You worried me there.

Sephex
01-06-2014, 02:35 AM
"If someone is bullying you, just ignore them and walk away."

I always had a huge problem with this advice because:

1.) You can't leave school grounds or, in most cases, the immediate area where you are being bullied. I guess I am just supposed to walk out of class out of nowhere? Yeah, schools love that.

2.) I did try that in a setting where there weren't authority figures around. I was rewarded with a free shot to the back of my head.

3.) Despite what out of touch guidance counselors will tell you, doing NOTHING shows the bully that they can get away with walking all over you. Actions speak louder than words.