PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Advice

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Pretty much the opposite of this thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/153949-annoying-advice.html).

Have you received any good advice lately? Did you take it?

Inspire me.

Shorty
01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Any and all advice I ever read from Neil Gaiman I treat as if it were gold. (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2013/02/the-best-advice.html)

And after the conversation was over, Clive took me aside. He said, "When we were talking, you were getting louder and louder."

I had been. It was a noisy bar. And I'd had important things to say and huge opinions and dammit, I was determined to be heard.

He said, "Neil, don't do that. If you get loud, everyone else gets louder to top you. And then everyone's shouting and nobody's listening. If you want everyone to listen to you, get quieter. People will listen."

Really, it's advice from Clive Barker, I suppose. It's difficult for me to take this into my life because I get worked up and respond as such. But when I have, it has worked. It's just a matter of remembering to do it and to not fall into habits, which is hard for me.

Parker
01-05-2014, 06:04 PM
"Just force yourself to smile, and depression will go away!"

Shlup
01-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Any and all advice I ever read from Neil Gaiman I treat as if it were gold. (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2013/02/the-best-advice.html)

And after the conversation was over, Clive took me aside. He said, "When we were talking, you were getting louder and louder."

I had been. It was a noisy bar. And I'd had important things to say and huge opinions and dammit, I was determined to be heard.

He said, "Neil, don't do that. If you get loud, everyone else gets louder to top you. And then everyone's shouting and nobody's listening. If you want everyone to listen to you, get quieter. People will listen."

Really, it's advice from Clive Barker, I suppose. It's difficult for me to take this into my life because I get worked up and respond as such. But when I have, it has worked. It's just a matter of remembering to do it and to not fall into habits, which is hard for me.

I got that advice as a student teacher and it was gold. Don't ever try to talk over the class--make sure they have to shut up to hear you.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-05-2014, 11:39 PM
That's actually great advice, Shlup. I usually tried to do that while student teaching but I sometimes slipped up there... My cooperating teachers/university supervisor/whoever else I worked with while student teaching really didn't give me any advice or anything.

Sephiroth
01-05-2014, 11:39 PM

I got that advice as a student teacher and it was gold. Don't ever try to talk over the class--make sure they have to shut up to hear you.

When people don't want to listen it does not matter how quiet or loud you are, unfortunately.

Shlup
01-05-2014, 11:41 PM
That's actually great advice, Shlup. I usually tried to do that while student teaching but I sometimes slipped up there... My cooperating teachers/university supervisor/whoever else I worked with while student teaching really didn't give me any advice or anything.

That sucks! My mentor teachers were both absolutely top-notch, and my university supervisor was wonderful. One retired that year and the other retired a year later. It was really a great student teaching experience; too bad my teaching career sank pretty quickly after that, heh.

When people don't want to listen it does not matter how quiet or loud you are, unfortunately.

Well, yeah, most of the students I had in the school I ended up with were still just in bad shape academically, but the advice was still solid.

LunarWeaver
01-06-2014, 12:35 AM
50007 50006

Shiny
01-06-2014, 12:36 AM
My boss at the time when I was working work study at my uni said I should stay at a friend's place in Manhattan because I had to work odd hours at a film festival in the city. So I did for a few days. Glad I did because I wouldn't have met his roommate, my current bf.

Pumpkin
01-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Will this argument matter in 5 years? If it doesn't, it might be worth moving past it.

Do what you love so you don't spend your life unhappy.

It's okay to not have everything figured out.

Ayen
01-06-2014, 01:10 AM
"Find out what you want to do in life and then go out there and do it. Don't spend your life going from one dead end job after dead end job doing what you hate." -dad.

"A friend is someone who tells you what you need to hear." -my old pastor

"If everyone was unique we'd all be the same." -an old friend

"Always play at your own game, that's how you win." -another old friend

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy. "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged." -Captain Picard

"We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -The Doctor

Bubba
01-06-2014, 01:15 AM
"Don't go and watch Pearl Harbour"

Ayen
01-06-2014, 01:21 AM
"Don't go and watch Pearl Harbour"

You have a guardian angel looking out for you.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-06-2014, 01:28 AM
"don't ever watch grave of fireflies"

that's not advice I was given. I just think it should be good advice for everyone.