PDA

View Full Version : Fictional Stories you're emotionally attached to

Karifean
01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
What are some of the fictional stories (from any medium) that really got you emotionally invested in them and affected you in ways most stories don't? Stories you built up an emotional attachment towards?

For me, there are quite a few, but the one that stands out above all is Clannad. I got to know it in mid-October and up till now, it hasn't gone out of my mind, and it doesn't seem like it has any intention to do so anytime soon. I choke up every time I watch any of 4 particular scenes near the end, without fail.

I love this kind of story and would like have more such connections, and thus I would like you to share with me, storylines you have an emotional attachment to.

Sephiroth
01-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Almost all Final Fantasys, especially VII, XIII and IX, Nier Gestalt and Kingdom Hearts.

Non-video game stories exist many for me.

Shlup
01-05-2014, 11:11 PM
The Little Mermaid because I'm a mermaid princess, duh.

I don't know, man. There are a lot of stories I really like but I'm not sure if that meets your criteria for "emotionally attached."

Miriel
01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I cried more when I saw Leslie and Ben get engaged on Parks & Rec than I did for any person I've known in my real life. It felt like my best friends were getting engaged.

But I tend to get emotionally attached pretty easily.

Madame Adequate
01-05-2014, 11:30 PM
The crew of Babylon 5.

noxious.sunshine
01-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Uhm....

A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Housseini is one I'm very attached to emotionally.

And the movie "Everybody's Fine" with Robert DeNiro, Kate Beckinsale, and Drew Barrymore- it pretty much describes my family exactly. Even more so now since my mom passed away. My ex and I watched it and I literally bawled my eyes out nonstop through the entire thing. Ugh. Even typing this and thinking about it makes me teary. I tried to get my parents to watch it a few years ago- my dad made it through the first like 30 minutes and told us to turn it off.

I'm sure there's others, I just can't think of them right now. Well, other than my mom and dad's little love story. ^_^

Pumpkin
01-06-2014, 12:42 AM
A lot of characters from the Final Fantasy and Suikoden series. I get invested in a lot of their stories.

Data from Star Trek.

Ayen
01-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Uncovered starring Kate Beckinsale got me pretty emotionally invested in the story, one of the first movies in a long time to get me invested in such a way and its premise was something I initially would have been indifferent to. Kate Beckinsale was my only reason to watch going in.

Game of Thrones did something that few shows can do, make me question my morally.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Nier Gestalt
oh god I can feel the tears coming...

for me it would be final fantasy legend (aka saga) even IF it didn't have much of a story (It mostly just introduced me into rpgs which I'm grateful for), final fantasy IX, DEFINITELY Nier, and now Drakengard 3 in the games department...

In the anime department, Slayers is always at the top of my list-- but there's also Kaiba, Angel's Egg, and Tokyo Godfathers...

Only Culdcept rests in the manga department as most effective story. Najaran was a brave character that girls should look up to as a role model. It's a real pity Culdcept never got an anime...

And still the single most emotionally inspirational piece of literature for me is the short-story, Eyes of Amber, by Joan D Vinge.
One of these days I want to thank her for writing such a story as that...

Sephiroth
01-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Actually Silent Hill is also pretty touching everytime.

Jiro
01-06-2014, 03:09 AM
I get super invested in everything.

It's a horrible existence.

Shorty
01-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Like Jiro, I find myself invested in many things, and I become emotionally affected by many things. I find myself crying or nearly crying at nearly every damn new movie I see lately. :stare:

I have a strong attachment to Ender's Game, but that attachment is mostly sentiment. Speaker for the Dead is something else, though, and mirrors the broken home, broken family, broken everything that I experienced for so long in my pre-teen and teenage years. There are so many characters to emotionally invest in, and I invest in each and every one of them.

I'm sure there are many more things, but that is what comes to mind first.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-06-2014, 04:22 AM
BBC's Sherlock. I cried during the latest episode.

Uuuuhm.
Firefly/Serenity
Harry Potter
Merlin (the fable, I've heard so many variations and stories I love it so much)

I Took the Red Pill
01-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Walter Hartwell White

Yamaneko
01-06-2014, 06:49 AM
The Bible.

Pike
01-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Morrowind main questline and the entire culture of Vvardenfell.

(The emotions these things elicit are known as "Vvardenfeels")

Minami
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Harry Potter for me. And A Game of Thrones.

Unsure if it's allowed or not, but also something that i've written myself with an old friend i used to have. We wasted four years of our lives on these characters and they're probably the characters i'm most emotionally attached to out of any (probably because they are my own).

Shaibana
01-06-2014, 01:24 PM
i still cry when Mufasa dies in The Lion King, even though im 21 and have seen the movie thousands of times.

Final fantasy Crisis Core
Zack :'(

The Tudors, mainly the death of Anne Boleyn. i just love her in that show, such great actress!

Karifean
01-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I also tend to get emotionally attached to stories pretty easily and quickly.

And still the single most emotionally inspirational piece of literature for me is the short-story, Eyes of Amber, by Joan D Vinge.
One of these days I want to thank her for writing such a story as that...

Color me intrigued. I might pick that up sometime.

krissy
01-07-2014, 01:59 AM
Doctor who is the only thing fictional that's made me cry in the last few years.

Breaking bad made me put my handnup to my mouth to cover it.

Calliope
01-07-2014, 02:26 AM
ally mcbeal + larry paul 4eva

noxious.sunshine
01-07-2014, 04:01 AM
Yeah. Harry Potter is a story I'm very attached to as well, actually.

And Chronicles of Narnia. I'm attached to that too.

The Man
01-07-2014, 04:36 AM
FFVI
Game of Thrones
Discworld
Doctor Who
Lost
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly/Serenity
The West Wing
And probably several others I'm not thinking of.

Several of these are helped out by astounding soundtracks.

Jiro
01-07-2014, 05:30 AM
I'm more emotional about a lack of Firefly than I am about Firefly itself (though what a fucking great series)

Elskidor
01-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Hmm, yeah I'll go with stealing a few off The Man's list with FFVI and Lost higher up than others. Tolkien's stories have been a big impact on me, along with Luo Guanzhong's take on Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the concept of immortality in the Highlander franchise as well.

There have been a lot of RPGs that have struck me on the same level of a novel, tv show or movie that has just became apart of me, and give me inspiration at random. I guess that isn't so weird to talk about on a game forum that is based on a video game series, but damn, I use to tell people that and they would laugh with a "Yeah, Mario inspired me to be a plumber so I could hook up with a princess."

Shit, Lion King and Watership Down, Shawshank, some X-Men tales, Harry Potter, Escaflowne are up there too. There are way too many to list!!

Ashi
01-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Heroes but only till the end of season 1.

There were several stories I read that I became quite attached to and they definitely changed my view of things.
The Hunger Games (the three books)
The Pursuit of Love
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I Am the Messenger
Warm Bodies

Heroes I could re-watch over and over again (and I have).

Those books I don't think I can try reading again in case it disrupts my initial memory of them. :O

The Man
01-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Oh yeah, Sherlock too. The Reichenbach Fall really toyed with my emotions :<

Mo-Nercy
01-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Final Fantasies, particularly FF8, because the characters were closer to my age at the time and it was in a school setting.
A lot of Miyazaki films, especially the ones with a environmental message like Mononoke and Nausicaa.
The Last of Us.
Chrono Trigger.
Rurouni Kenshin.
Code Geass.
Game of Thrones.

noxious.sunshine
01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
oh snap.

Spirited Away I'm very attached to. That end theme song makes me cry everytime.

Shorty
01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Yeah, why not Sherlock.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
I am mixing actual series and their fanworks too.

Sailor Moon: Try watching the ending of Stars without crying!
Harry Potter: So much feels
Merlin (BBC series): More of the ArthurxMerlin fanfic verses that gets all the feels
Teen Wolf: Sterek fics have all the feels.
Fushigi Yuugi: I spent a Christmas holidays several years ago screaming at the TV and threatening it if Miaka and Tamahome didn't end up together at the end.
Kingdom Hearts
Journey
Then there a bunch of novels too (Nightrunners series and Tamir Triad by Lynn Flewelling, Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and random campy gay novels).

Oh, and when Ash tried to leave Pikachu behind early on in the Pokemon anime. THE FEELS!

I get feels and cry a lot during a lot of stuff. I am an excitable person. :D

Shorty
01-08-2014, 05:01 PM
THAT FUCK ING POKEMON EPISODE WAS THE FIRST I EVER SAW AND I CRIED

I WAS TEN YEARS OLD AND I CRIED

Sephiroth
01-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Oh, and when Ash tried to leave Pikachu behind early on in the Pokemon anime. THE FEELS!

While that is totally sad the moment when Ash dies from Mewtwo and Mew's attack is even sadder.

Shauna
01-08-2014, 08:56 PM
The above posts are all incorrect. The saddest Pokemon got was Bye Bye Butterfree.

Dat Matt
01-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Bye Bye Butterfree

http://i.imgur.com/EwGNuEY.jpg

Shoeberto
01-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Ctrl+F Mad Men, no results. Y'all motherfuckers need to find Jesus.

Shorty
01-10-2014, 12:03 AM
I am emotionally attached to Cowboy Bebop.

Calliope
01-10-2014, 12:28 AM
No, the episode Arbok and Weezing leave is the saddest episode ever.

Also, Mr Bean's Christmas Special.

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2014, 01:52 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realise that Pokemon is fucking heartbreaking.