PDA

View Full Version : Snow Day!

Yar
01-06-2014, 01:36 PM
So we are having some very unfortunate weather in the Midwest. It's smurfing cold, windy and snowy!!

The roads are so bad here that the sheriff has declared all roads shut down.

I get to stay home from work today. :kakapo: I think I'll do a whole lot of nothing. Maybe drink some tea and watch movies and stay in my comfy comfy bed. :)

What is everyone doing today?

If you aren't fortunate to have today off, what do you like to do on snow days? :)

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-06-2014, 01:52 PM
We had a nor'easter last week here on the East Coast... it wasn't just a snow day, it was actually unsafe to step out the door.
Today's in the 50's so we'll have a lot of fog and melting snow...
then tomorrow's gonna freeze up.
I am staying indoors tomorrow. Smurf that noise.

Flying Mullet
01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
The low was 27F last night, not too bad. A chilly drive to work but it's business as usual otherwise.

Psychotic
01-06-2014, 02:03 PM
My country shuts down entirely if there is just an inch of snow. No such luck yet!

Pike
01-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Snow never shuts anything down here ever. When I was a kid they said they'd close school if the buses stopped running from the cold. That never happened and it got down to -40 :whimper:

Anyways it's about -5 F right now so that's not too terrible yet.

Shorty
01-06-2014, 02:19 PM
I will never again experience a snow day.

escobert
01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Snow never shuts anything down here ever. When I was a kid they said they'd close school if the buses stopped running from the cold. That never happened and it got down to -40 :whimper:

Anyways it's about -5 F right now so that's not too terrible yet.

kotora
01-06-2014, 02:44 PM
-5C in Tibet right now, but no snow except on the surrounding mountain peaks. It's actually pretty well bearable, during the day it gets up to 15C because of the sun.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't get snow days from work. There was only one time that I remember the mall ever even giving the option for stores to close down early, and our store owners refused to let us go home.

On days when it's snowy and I don't have to go to work/when I was in school and it would get cancelled, I stay in and play video games. If I'm not doing that, I'm marathoning a show or watching a bunch of movies, but it's usually video games.

Old Manus
01-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Snow means clearing the driveway and having kids use your car as a natural snowball barrier :colbert:

Sephex
01-06-2014, 04:20 PM
My dad got the day off, but I still had to go to work. No biggie, the roads I take were fine, and since I live in a condo, I didn't have to deal with shoveling. Though, I did help my folks with that at their place yesterday.

My workplace would make me burn a vacation day if I wanted to be paid for a snow day anyway, so I am glad I didn't have one. Too early in the year to use a vacation day like that.

starlet
01-06-2014, 05:05 PM
My boss texted me at 6 AM to tell me we were having a snow day. Good thing too because I stayed up way too ate to be getting up at 6:30 (Thanks EOFF chat! :P). I probably would've called in anyway, as my apartment complex is lazy and haven't plowed yet so good luck getting my car out. I'm not sure it'll even start with this cold. And no, I don't get paid time off for these things, or anything for that matter :/.

noxious.sunshine
01-06-2014, 05:22 PM
It did nothing here and it was supposed to! It's 20 F outside tho ....

I stay in, order takeout cuz I'm a dick (I tip well tho), and get drunk. Woohoo!

ShunNakamura
01-07-2014, 04:07 AM
Work was cancelled last night(3rd shift) and it is cancelled tonight as well. So friggin cold out that the house furnace can't keep the house warm. I got a space heater on the floor beside my feet to try and keep my toes from freezing off. Probably need to put heavy socks on.

With a level 3 snow warning in effect for the second day now there wasn't really much option but for them to cancel. Well I suppose more like 30 some hours of it. But it got me two days off so far. Unpaid, but I don't really want to go out in this so I am not going to complain.

Ayen
01-07-2014, 04:28 AM
Stay inside.

Jiro
01-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Nah in my neck of the woods we only get days off when the weather turned school into a bbq. 40+ degrees C is not really conducive to learning. Oh, though we also got time off when everything flooded. Which is, um, annually or so now.

But yeah I expect that the Sunshine Coast will get a snow day soon enough thanks to CLIMATE CHANGE

blackmage_nuke
01-07-2014, 05:51 AM
If it starts snowing here I will stock up supplies and prepare for the end of days

starlet
01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Im supposed to go to work today and even the car says NOPE. Can't blame it when it feels like -30 F out.

....oh yeah, apparently my boss thinks the dogs are just going to rush in today!

Sephex
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Went to work again. There are still several people from Indiana (not too far of a drive from my area/work area, which is the southern Chicagoland suburbs) that aren't making it today thanks to road closures. I swear, Indiana doesn't have any plows.