PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Returns beaten in sales by... FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 HD Remaster

Aulayna
01-07-2014, 12:05 AM

Following on from reports of Lightning Returns launching to very low week one sales in Japan, it seems like the final nail in the FINAL FANTASY XIII coffin has now been struck. The recent released FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 HD Remaster has outsold Lightning Returns.

According to popular gaming source Famitsu, the HD remaster launched to the tune of 339,000 units sold in it's first week. This is the totals for both PS3 and PS Vita combined. Lightning Returns, on the other hand, managed 277,000 units in it's first week on the PS3, with XBOX 360 sales figures so low they didn't even make the rankings.

The 339,000 sales figure also makes FFX|X-2 HD Remaster the most successful launch of any HD remake in Japan.

How do you think sales in Western regions will fare with Lightning Returns being released next month, and FFX|X-2 HD following the month after?

WgnWFU_yOqE

[Source: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Debuts Big In Japan (http://www.justpushstart.com/2014/01/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-debuts-big-japan/) ]

Elskidor
01-07-2014, 12:12 AM
This shall result in A.) They'll decide against sequels and just keep doing remakes for all of their games, but still forget to work on current new games or B.) Decide X is more popular and go back to working on more sequels for X, and put XIII to rest for good, but maintain a slow progression for new numbered entries for the series or C.) All of the above.

Freya
01-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Oh this is great.

But, FFX didn't have to build any fans up. People are going into the HD knowing exactly how the game and story is. Which I guess is a thing itself, buying a game you've already played. But with LR, it's new.

Mirage
01-07-2014, 01:44 AM
pleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemrem akeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaselett hismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiias wellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethe mremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellplease letthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffx iiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismak ethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpl easeletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremak effxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswell

TrollHunter
01-07-2014, 02:20 AM
And absolutely no one was surprised.

Jessweeee♪
01-07-2014, 04:39 AM
pleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemrem akeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaselett hismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiias wellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethe mremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellplease letthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffx iiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismak ethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpl easeletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremak effxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswellpleaseletthismakethemremakeffxiiaswell

For real. Then I can have a portable version of FFI-FFXII c:

Ayen
01-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Well, it is nice to be reminded of a good game.

Botchmun
01-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Now you can watch that laughing scene in 1080 P whenever you want!

Mahad
01-07-2014, 05:35 AM
Dead fantasy.

Psychotic
01-07-2014, 08:12 AM
That's a pretty clear message to Square-Enix, isn't it? I suspect they will not listen and give us 4 more Lightning games.

Elskidor
01-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I would say your right, but I suspect them launching FFXV with 5 sequels instead. Maybe with a couple cameos with Lightning, and one where she is in you main cast with DLC, along with Cloud..

maybee
01-07-2014, 09:38 AM
That's a pretty clear message to Square-Enix, isn't it? I suspect they will not listen and give us 4 more Lightning games.

^

We have failed our fans, we didn't do good enough for them, so we must make 800 more Lightning games !

Or

Ohhh ! What they wanted instead was Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2 HD !!

Psychotic
01-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Lightning's Mobile Adventures - now with Sephiroth themed microtransactions!

Pete for President
01-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Oh Square Enix, you are so lost it's not even funny. I bet they'll use this stat in favour of X-3. But please stop the sequels :(

black orb
02-06-2014, 07:39 AM
And absolutely no one was surprised.

Carl the Llama
02-26-2014, 04:34 PM

VII first por favor.

Mirage
02-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah except FF12 is a realistic request, FF7 isn't.

Rostum
02-26-2014, 11:53 PM
I would say your right, but I suspect them launching FFXV with 5 sequels instead. Maybe with a couple cameos with Lightning, and one where she is in you main cast with DLC, along with Cloud..

Oh god this scares me because it's actually something that could realistically happen.

Ayen
02-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Nomura already said something about the game having a self-contained climax and was intended as the first part of an epic. There was even talk of taking advantage of online elements to make shorter stand-alone titles, but later said no sequel plans have been finalized and I hope they aren't. I'm tired of sequels or spin-offs for main number entries. Just finish XV, relax for a while and get to work on Final Fantasy XVI >.>

Shiny
02-28-2014, 09:29 AM
I don't know why they thought another Lightning game was a good idea. If anything this should be a message for them to remake more of their older games because those were actually good, but are now outdated.

maybee
02-28-2014, 12:51 PM

I read a article today that Square- Enix is planning to add Lightning in future Final Fantasy titles. Guessing this means more Lightning Returns, random Lighting cameos, or both.

Ayen
02-28-2014, 12:54 PM

I read a article today that Square- Enix is planning to add Lightning in future Final Fantasy titles. Guessing this means more Lightning Returns, random Lighting cameos, or both.

Oh sweet Jesus let the article be satire.

Big D
03-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Coming soon:

Omega Christ Fantasy: Lighting Versus Jesus: Final Fantasy XIII-5: ARMAGEDDON TESTAMENT

Wherein Lighting travels to our world, supplants Jesus Christ as the saviour of humanity, and eventually defeats the über-trinity of Jehovah, Buddha and Mecha-Satan to become ultimate overlord (overlady?) of the cosmos.

...or perhaps not.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing re-releases of earlier titles, with graphical overhauls and other extras, if the alternative is new titles and sequels that are proving really divisive and not widely popular with the fanbase.

I'd be fine with more sequels if we could be confident that SE can offer something new and worthwhile that builds on the existing story and characters. Currently, I'm sorely lacking any such confidence. I don't much trust them to make a good new story out of an existing one, so I'm even less hopeful that they could make a wholly new story that's worth getting into.

Until they really demonstrate that they can deliver something truly new and truly great again, I'd rather just see the occasional re-release of an old favourite.

Gee, who else remembers the time when a new Final Fantasy release was a cause for genuine excitement and anticipation?

Fynn
03-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Overdame sounds like a valid term.

AssassinDX
03-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Sadly not, here's one I pulled from Google:

Lightning may return again in Final Fantasy XV | Lazygamer .:: The Worlds Best Video Game News ::. (http://www.lazygamer.net/video/lightning-may-return-again-in-final-fantasy-xv/)

For Lightning, her story ends here in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, as this game is meant as a finale to this series. But we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters.

So there is a possibility that Lightning would appear in other future Final Fantasy titles, not as a protagonist, but as a guest character.

That's a direct quote from Lightning Returns director Motomu Toriyama.

So yeah, it seems likely that she'll appear again in some form or another, starting with FFXV. Maybe something as subtle as sitting at a bar and engaging in a minor conversation with our heroes. Maybe she'll have a brief caemo involvement with the story as part of a side quest. Possibly (and my bet) she'll be a playable character and have a sizable role to play. Hell, Toriyama san could be outright lying and campaigning to have Lighting as the protagonist in FFXV as we speak, and as he says himself in future Final Fantasy titles as well, so we're quite likely not even going to see her limited to an appearance in XV alone!

This dude sure loves Lighting, and he seems hell bent on making sure we must love her too.

Fynn
03-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Honestly, I don't mind a cameo. I've not played any of the XIIIs, but I really liked her in Dissidia.

Karifean
03-07-2014, 06:47 PM
So Lightning is the new Gilgamesh? Meh.

Mirage
03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
direct quote from Lightning Returns director Motomu Toriyama.

He secretly wants to marry her, so of course he would say that. It's probably not up to him in the games he's not in charge of though. Thankfully.

maybee
03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
story ends here in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, as this game is meant as a finale to this series. But we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters. What a load of junk, yes Lightning does a have a fandom, but I swear that the love for Sephiroth, Zack, Tifa, Kefka, Cloud, Aerith is larger.

I don't see no Kefka returns.

It's your list, you can include whatever you want. :3
No, stay away from Final Fantasy XV. Kingdom Hearts 3, okay, but stay away from XV.

This dude sure loves Lighting, and he seems hell bent on making sure we must love her too.

Pretty much.

Fynn
03-08-2014, 06:42 PM
I mean, they put so much work in making her boobs jiggle in LR that they just can't let it go to waste!

Pumpkin
03-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Sadly not, here's one I pulled from Google:

Lightning may return again in Final Fantasy XV | Lazygamer .:: The Worlds Best Video Game News ::. (http://www.lazygamer.net/video/lightning-may-return-again-in-final-fantasy-xv/)

For Lightning, her story ends here in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, as this game is meant as a finale to this series. But we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters.

So there is a possibility that Lightning would appear in other future Final Fantasy titles, not as a protagonist, but as a guest character.

That's a direct quote from Lightning Returns director Motomu Toriyama.

So yeah, it seems likely that she'll appear again in some form or another, starting with FFXV. Maybe something as subtle as sitting at a bar and engaging in a minor conversation with our heroes. Maybe she'll have a brief caemo involvement with the story as part of a side quest. Possibly (and my bet) she'll be a playable character and have a sizable role to play. Hell, Toriyama san could be outright lying and campaigning to have Lighting as the protagonist in FFXV as we speak, and as he says himself in future Final Fantasy titles as well, so we're quite likely not even going to see her limited to an appearance in XV alone!

I am so

sick

of Lightning. I don't even like her. I never did. And now they just keep on and on and on.

At least the other Final Fantasy characters I didn't like I could get away from when their GAMES WERE OVER.

I'd better not see Lightning in XV :colbert: