PDA

View Full Version : Programmers unite

Dr Unne
01-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Am I the only code monkey here? Let's talk programming. What's the most unpleasant regular expression you've seen recently? Feast your eyes upon this, courtesy of vim:

:%s/\v(^[^"]*)@<!"@<!""@!([^"]$)@!/""/g

Shlup
01-08-2014, 08:27 AM
BJ and I are working on an app together. Does that count? I'm the designer, though, not the programmer. My brother-in-law and his partner are both programmers too. Hurrah!

Basically I have nothing of actual value to contribute to this topic, but I desire your love regardless.

The Man
01-08-2014, 08:32 AM
I used to program regularly (and was quite fantastic at it if I do say so myself) but I let my skills wither. However I'm taking a class in Python as we speak. I'll probably have more relevant things to say later.

Old Manus
01-08-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm a code monkey but I haven't done any regular expressions since university. I'm currently writing a system which validates data sent by handheld devices used by police at the scene of road traffic collisions. These guys record everything. If your (left hand drive) car hit a lamp post after swerving off the road because a horse and cart hit a pothole in wet weather on the way to a football game, we know.

Shoeberto
01-08-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm a code monkey but I haven't done any regular expressions since university. I'm currently writing a system which validates data sent by handheld devices used by police at the scene of road traffic collisions. These guys record everything. If your (left hand drive) car hit a lamp post after swerving off the road because a horse and cart hit a pothole in wet weather on the way to a football game, we know.
That's incredible!

I work for a small custom software company in the agriculture business. We build web apps, though I did two years of C++ dev that was a lot more rigorous. It was great experience and I still love low-level stuff... JavaScript sucks ass. PHP is alright though.

My current job is less challenging than my last one but I'm trying to take on more big things to keep myself from stagnating. Overall the environment is a lot better and I've been able to push more ideas about the dev process, as well as be more integral in high-level design decisions. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss scientific programming, working with OpenGL, or optimizing the shit out of C++.

Shorty
01-08-2014, 03:46 PM
All of that looks like gibberish to me.

Ashi
01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
They tried to teach me to program in school. Just would not take!

Parker
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Oh man that regex lol

I am currently using regex as part of a uni assignment. Or will be when I start it. The lecturer decided to surprise us with a language we haven't used before. It's good because we get to learn something new but it's sort of bad because he takes great pleasure in springing something we haven't learned yet and making it an important part of our grade. It's Perl and so far I'm not super into it because I have been blessed with Python, but I'm having a little fun with it so far.

Surprisingly the programming stuff we've learned so far in other years hasn't been great and it wasn't until the last year or so that I actually enjoyed doing it, although I'm still a total noob programming-wise.

Flying Mullet
01-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Any regular expressions are unpleasant. They are a necessary evil and I always find myself on Google whenever I need one, whether it be for positive decimal, phone or email validation.

We use Java, SQL, Javascript, jQuery, HTML and CSS regularly where I work (Enterprise Web Application company).

Shoeberto
01-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Any regular expressions are unpleasant. They are a necessary evil and I always find myself on Google whenever I need one, whether it be for positive decimal, phone or email validation.

We use Java, SQL, Javascript, jQuery, HTML and CSS regularly where I work (Enterprise Web Application company).
All of our web projects save for two run on jQuery. The other two use ExtJS.

Unfortunately I've been knee-deep in those two for months. It makes me sad. jQuery is such a luxury when it comes to JS programming.

Rantz
01-08-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm primarily a web programmer. I work with an online business administration system (accounting, invoicing, CRM, stuff) built in PHP. It does get a bit boring sometimes for every new project to still be subject to the restrictions and quirks of the same old system, but it's not so bad, and I love my workplace so I'm pretty happy. My latest big project, though I can't say much about it, is being incredibly well received and might end up being adapted by a partner company that has a huge userbase, so that's kind of cool!

Outside of regular PHP/SQL setups I've not done much other concrete programming work. I've dabbled in C++, C#, Ruby, Python, but only enough to just barely warrant mention. If I had more free time, though...

Edit: Also, I love regular expressions. I'm actually really sad that I get so few chances to legitimately use them in my job. I use them pretty much daily for find/replace operations, although those use cases are usually pretty simple.

Old Manus
01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
I very occasionally have to do some Javascript. I never got around to learning it. I get all my bits of code off the internet and rejig it via trial and error to fit my needs

Rantz
01-08-2014, 06:58 PM
JavaScript cops a lot of hate for, well, a lot of things, but I actually really love working with it. :blush: I have to hold myself back from overusing it.

blackmage_nuke
01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Im trying to make an First Person Shooter with C++ and Direct3D

Shoeberto
01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
JavaScript cops a lot of hate for, well, a lot of things, but I actually really love working with it. :blush: I have to hold myself back from overusing it.
My big issue with it is just that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, so it's kind of a lightweight scripting language, and kind of an extensive object-oriented language, which makes it pretty slushy for my liking. Coming from a language as strict as C++, it's a big adjustment that I still haven't made.

Python, on the other hand, is definitely a personal favorite.

Flying Mullet
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Edit: Also, I love regular expressions. I'm actually really sad that I get so few chances to legitimately use them in my job. I use them pretty much daily for find/replace operations, although those use cases are usually pretty simple.
I'll gladly send you all of my regular expression needs to be dealt with. :spin:

Jiro
01-09-2014, 01:02 AM
I really fucking enjoyed coding in high school, I just wish I was a little better at it so I could've pursued it further.

Dr Unne
01-09-2014, 03:18 AM

There's always time for more regex. :bigsmile: You should use Vim if you don't already, it has regex everywhere. Sometimes you think "I could manually fix these 3 lines of code in 10 seconds... or I could spend two minutes writing a pointless regex to do it". And the choice is clear.

My big issue with it is just that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, so it's kind of a lightweight scripting language, and kind of an extensive object-oriented language, which makes it pretty slushy for my liking. Coming from a language as strict as C++, it's a big adjustment that I still haven't made.

JS makes sense if you treat it as a functional language. It was designed based on Scheme and Self. Brendan Eich made the syntax look like C so as not to scare people away from it, or else it'd probably be a full-fledged Lisp.

JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford (the guy who invented JSON) is a good book. Short and very practical. It tells you what parts of JS to avoid.

Marshall Banana
01-09-2014, 04:27 AM
I test programmers' work. :radred:

The only languages I've coded in, myself, are Python and Ruby, for test automation, but I'm still a newbie in both. I guess I use JavaScript kind of often...to make bookmarklets. xD

rubah
01-09-2014, 05:24 AM
most of what I've done is also python for automation; I wrote a recursive replacement function a couple of weeks ago that I'm still a little giddy about.

and it's always fun to write a clever css selector.

speaking of CRMs, i've been unfortunate enough to need to look at the page source for Dynamics.

It's tables.

All

the

way

d

o

w

n

Parker
01-09-2014, 09:56 AM
I set up some virtual machines to play around with malware analysis last night!

I can't wait to stare at assembly language for hours, not knowing what is going on /smug

Shoeberto
01-10-2014, 02:21 PM

JS makes sense if you treat it as a functional language. It was designed based on Scheme and Self. Brendan Eich made the syntax look like C so as not to scare people away from it, or else it'd probably be a full-fledged Lisp.

JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford (the guy who invented JSON) is a good book. Short and very practical. It tells you what parts of JS to avoid.
Interesting. I'm going to keep that book in mind - maybe see if we can get it added to the company library. JSON is one JavaScript construct that I actually find to be incredibly clever and useful (in fact, it's playing a significant role in a fairly large new feature I'm co-programming right now). My previous exposure to functional languages was only in my undergrad, and I thought it was interesting, but the mindset required never clicked for me as being practical beyond academic curiosity.

Heath
01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I do little bits on Code Academy, but nowhere near as much as I probably should. Going to try and be a bit more proactive about it!