PDA

View Full Version : Game feels

Pumpkin
01-08-2014, 09:44 PM
What are some moments in video games that have given you game feels?

I'm sadfacing now in Suikoden V because the Hero just had a touching moment with his mom and she's going to die and Georg and Ferid are talking about what's going to happen and I already know but it makes me ;____; anyways and when he was spending time with his sister when you know something is going to happen. Sadness.

I also get feels in Final Fantasy X when Yuna and Tidus have their overly cheesy scene over by Macalania Woods with the music and everything.

The ending of Xenosaga episode I and III gets me everytime. I cry like a baby.

I had feels in Suikoden II when Riou and Jowy get their rune and see all of their memories together.

IX has a lot of scenes. Vivi talking to the other black mage about death. Queen Brahne's death scene, the scene where Zidane lets himself get upset and all of his friends are there for him.

Majora's Mask basically gives me feels the whole time I play it.

Dark Cloud in the beginning when the town is gone and it's just Toan and the Mayor. Makes me feel so alone.

Pike
01-08-2014, 10:09 PM
All of Morrowind, but particularly the opening.

Opera Scene in FFVI.

Old World of Warcraft music (Vanilla/TBC/WotLK). KARAZHAN, best raid.

THE WALKING DEAD ASLKDGH;ALKSDFJAS The mother of all FEEL games.

TrollHunter
01-08-2014, 10:10 PM
The mission in FE:Awakening where this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWO4ff1HXYY) song plays.

There were some points in the Stanley Parable that gave me feels actually. The only way to progress is to jump off the stairs over and over again to kill yourself and the narrator is freaking out

Serious Sam is also completely filled with feels. FILLED WITH FEELS OF BADASSERY.

Metroid Prime gave me a ton of different feels when I first landed on Talon IV. The sense of awe and mystery was extremely powerful.

When my Vibrava was killed by a geodudes self-destruct in my Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke I was so pissed and sad and annoyed. He was my bro, and that brorock took him from me. RIP Derp Ant, RIP.

I was doing a no-reset/no-grind run of Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on hard mode and I was trying to recruit one of my favorite units Joshua to the party. I sent out Gilliam my armored knight to lure Josh out so I could recruit him.... Joshua ripped Gilliam to shreds with a critical hit. Thanks to FE permadeath and my rule restrictions one of the best units in sacred stones was now dead in one of the first few chapters of the game. That was when I realized that this run wasnt going to play around, and I realized that I couldnt either.

OH, and one more. I felt awesome when this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJDlD8yY-Us) music started playing at the end of Disgaea 2's main story.

Last but not least

When this frickin' amazing track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bio99hoZVYI) played on the last level of FE:Awakening I was so ready to just wreck some top level enemies and save the world.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, let me just put FE:Awakening as one giant bucket of feels.

Pike
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Thought of another one.

The Deus Ex theme song.

t1oxIrAX39M

And this. THIS!

bKdkafwii_w

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri you lovely creature

Sephex
01-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Ok6qjPj7O3g

Great use of both Celes's theme and "Forever Rachel."

Skyblade
01-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Most recently, the end of A Link Between Worlds. Sure, it's cheesy and sappy. I just do not care. Link and Zelda forgiving Hilda, and using their wish to restore Lorule and its Triforce. It just made me so happy. So many games where the Triforce either never gets used, or gets wasted *cough*KingOfRedLions*cough*, and then we finally get its powers put to good use. Hilda breaking down in shock and crying as her world is brought back from the edge of extinction is just an absolutely perfect way to end that game.

Fire Emblem Awakening. You'd need a list for this one. There are so many moments where this game hits you right in the feels. Lucina trying to kill either her mother or lover (depending on your romance choices and Avatar choice). Chrom and Robin turning the table on Validar at the Dragon's Table. At least a quarter of the game's Support Conversations. Pretty much any conversation between the children and their parents. The entirety of the Future Past DLC, and almost all of the Scramble Pack DLC conversations...

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. Oh my gosh, this is a hard one to list out (especially from my phone). There are just too many moments. Any scene where any character talks?

Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Any scene featuring Jenna. From the "stupid Sheba" line, to the heart wrenching scene at the ending, Jenna is such a great character in these games.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4. Though I think Persona 3 hits the feels harder, just due to the tone of the games, I cannot deny that Persona 4 has some great moments. Any of the scenes with Dojima and Nanako (especially those involving the massive spoilery bit, you know what I'm talking about), any of the big moments with the team, most of the Social Links. ATLUS knows how to write the feels.

EDIT: Why did no one tell me I ended my spoiler tag incorrectly? A Link Between Worlds is nowhere near the spoiler cut-off time, and you guys let me ruin it for everyone who read my post?!

Madame Adequate
01-08-2014, 11:30 PM
The Walking Dead oh my god.

Vvardenfeels are strong as well.

Spec Ops: The Line.

Karifean
01-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Clannad. I've said this again and again but it's the most emotionally engaging storyline I have ever experienced. In particular, After Story and Tomoyo After After. Those two plotlines greatly outclass everything else.

Final Fantasy X's ending as well as the entire story arc between reaching and leaving Zanarkand is also up there. Not even close to Clannad, but still great.

Slothy
01-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Spec Ops: The Line.

I was impressed by how it doesn't make you feel bad in the usual "make you cry because we're killing characters you love," way. Rather it was just you feel really bad because you're a complete dick all game long.

AssassinDX
01-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Spec Ops made me feel awful by the end of it, but it's a fantastic game. It definitely doesn't glamourise war like perhaps certain other shooters do.

To The Moon is incredibly sad as well, that's well worth playing.

Laddy
01-09-2014, 01:22 AM
The Walking Dead, Torment, Baldur's Gate, FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, KOTORII, Fallout New Vegas, too many to count.

Pete for President
01-09-2014, 02:35 AM
"AGROOO!" :cry:

Madame Adequate
01-09-2014, 04:29 AM

Ah, crap, I forgot all about that. I didn't realize how attached I had grown until that happened. :cry:

Ayen
01-09-2014, 11:33 AM
This:

N1m3WXJ55Cw

Skyblade
01-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Super Metroid. The bit near the end. Do I need to elaborate?

Mass Effect 3. There are a lot of moments in this series, but my favorite overall are from the third and final entry. Mordin's death. Exactly how the awesome doc should have gone out. That scene is utterly beautiful. Legion's death. Yeah, again, this scene is pretty much perfect. The end of the Quarian/geth war, and the departure of a well loved character that I wish we had more time with. Thane's death. Again, perfect for the character. He finally finds the peace he was seeking, and which he earned. Oh, and he talks smack about that pathetic jerk Kai Lang. The death of Kai Lang. I thought his "victory" at the temple was bull. Forced failures rarely work for me unless they are extremely well executed, and I felt that one fell a little short (though he did need an airstrike to win, which makes it a little better). But I have to say, when we finally got to gut the bastard, with a "this is for Thane", it was immensely satisfying. It's just a shame that the ending ruined everything.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Ah, crap, I forgot all about that. I didn't realize how attached I had grown until that happened. :cry:

Indeed. The fucking masterclass of character building. I need to play this game again. :D

Lost Odyssey. So many little parts and a couple of big ones. :(

Skyblade
01-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Indeed. The smurfing masterclass of character building. I need to play this game again. :D

What game is it? It's not ringing any bells, and I can't find anything from Googling that (big surprise). Not sure if I haven't played it, or just forgotten about it.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Shadow of the Colossus. :D

The Man
01-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Secret of Mana, the ending. You'll know it if you've played it.

FFVI, like half of the game. The opera and the entire World of Ruin stand out.

That Super Metroid bit Skyblade mentioned.

FFIX has some feel-inducing moments as well, particularly the ending again.

That's a pretty good kickoff selection.

Shoeberto
01-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Spec Ops just made me feel ill by the end of it. It was very effective, but I could barely handle it. I tried to play To The Moon about a month after it and had to stop, it was just too much for me in the middle of an already-rough year.

The end of MGS3 stands out to me.

Skyblade
01-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Spec Ops fails if you aren't a jerk. When a game offers me no opportunity to get out of a situation except to be a jerk, and then chastises me for it, it falls flat. If you actually had a choice in how ninety percent of those scenes played out, and there were valid and reasonable ways out of them that you could have taken, it would have gone over a heck of a lot better for me. If the game doesn't allow you a way to win, it can't complain when you lose.

Madame Adequate
01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
This video, I feel, sums up what they were going for.

Errant Signal - Spec Ops: The Line - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBrenhzMZI)

Which isn't to say they necessarily succeeded but it did improve my opinion of the game having finished it.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
01-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Lost Odyssey and NieR are just FULL of game feels I can't freaking handle. Every ending to Drakengard 3 gives me such a heavy level of feels that I'm actually getting kinda weepy just -thinking- about it.
Shadow of the Colossus was kinda sad but not too much...
Secret of Mana, I could definitely feel it.
SURPRISINGLY, I was never moved by ff7's 'pivotal scene'. Yeah you know what I'm talking about. Sorry, ff7 fans, but it was just never my dice.

Mercen-X
01-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Nothing comes to mind. I mostly get eye-warmth when watching movies where the imagery and music combine just so.

Skyblade
01-10-2014, 06:01 AM
This video, I feel, sums up what they were going for.

Errant Signal - Spec Ops: The Line - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBrenhzMZI)

Which isn't to say they necessarily succeeded but it did improve my opinion of the game having finished it.

Well, that was an interesting view. It did adjust my perception of the game somewhat , but not really improved that much. I do find it interesting that that conversation basically confirms that the right thing to do is walk away from the game, which I did (long, long before reaching that point). I don't know how well that will work as a continuing business model though.

I also don't agree with a number of the philosophical points it brings up and stresses (which is rather not get into in depth, too much like EOEO to discuss here), which also drives my dislike for the game. If you are of the target audience, it may be great. If not, it's flawed up the wazoo.

Spooniest
01-10-2014, 06:08 AM
AFHns6V7yTE

And:

5n4V9q7n8JQ

NeoExdeath
01-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Suikoden 2: Nanami's death