PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Classics

Forsaken Lover
01-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Well I'm fully aware both Gen I and Ii got next gen remakes in the form of FireRed/LeafGreen and then HeartGold/SoulSilver.

What I'm asking is are the originals still...good? Fun and enjoyable? Or should a newbie just skip to the remakes and ignore where it all began? Kinda like how pretty much no one seriously enjoys FF1 for the NES nad if they have to play it, they go witH Dawn of Souls or whatever?

Tavrobel
01-09-2014, 05:21 AM
If you weren't old enough to play it the first time, they'll be hard to get into. The games are incredibly unbalanced, bland, and slow. They don't feature any modern luxuries like running, auto-sorting items, re-usable TMs, reasonable-acting-AI, etc.

If you want the original experience, the games are there, but I don't think you can get an authentic experience. Finding MissingNo for the first time or talking about the game with friends in school made the experience, but you don't find this on the cartridge.

People who ONLY recognize the existence of Gen I probably haven't played the new Pokemon games much, or they were casual fuckscrubs in the first place. I can't vouch for the Pokemon design starting from Gen II and on, but many of the Pokemon they added were at least interesting, if not competitively viable. We can complain about how much the art design sucks now, but that's not going to help.

The original 190 (yes, 150 fully complete Pokemon, 1 scrambled in at the last second, and about 40 that correspond to non-junk data) were all based on Japanese mythology, so the Pokemon felt real or familiar.

I personally have not played FireRed, or LeafGreen. By the time I got back into Pokemon, it was already the end of Gen III; I beat RSE, but then I moved onto the Gen II remakes, and skipped PPD. In comparison, I have not played any of the remakes of the FF games. I ran an emulator for each one.

Agent Proto
01-09-2014, 05:26 AM
I guess they would be fun if you don't have a current gen hand console to play. Also simply for nostalgic reasons. But for the newbie playing the classics for the first time, I'd suggest that they play the updated remake of the classics since they would be more accustomed to their graphics.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2014, 06:19 AM
FireRed and SoulSilver are your best bets.

Pike
01-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Yeah, go for the updated versions.

Just thinking about re-playing Red without any way to go halfway fast before you get the bike is a horrifying thought. :Oo:

Psychotic
01-09-2014, 10:43 AM
I still play Red and Stadium. Keeping it true. :cool:

Ayen
01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Do you like playing old video games?

If yes: get Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
If no: get FireRed/LeafGreen

To this day I still haven't found MissingNo.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2014, 02:48 PM
You should emulate Yellow with a Surfing Pikachu, though.

Skyblade
01-09-2014, 02:53 PM
I'd go straight for the remakes. Though, honestly, I never really thought highly of any of the GBA games. I can't even say why, but that entire generation, from Ruby to Leaf Green, just seemed off to me (and remain pretty much the only Pokémon games that I never wound up completing).

Del Murder
01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
They should remake Yellow. It's the best version. :hat:

Heath
01-09-2014, 11:03 PM
I concur and suggest you go straight to the Fire Red/Leaf Green or Soul Silver/Heart Gold.

I found both sets of remakes to be excellent, keeping enough of the originals to not feel like totally new games, but updating them to a sufficient extent that they're of the standard you'd expect. A lot easier on the eyes, less irritating and with better music. Genuinely prefer them to the original GB games these days. Though I did get a bit of a nostalgia kick when I replayed a bit of the original Silver recently.