PDA

View Full Version : Can i run it?

Shaibana
01-09-2014, 02:29 PM
my laptop is not the best, thats why i got myself a console.
but now FFVIII is in steam and i do want to play this game.
acording to Canyourunit.com my laptop does not have the right graphic card for this game :S
wich is very silly for that site to say, but then again i am afraid that when i buy this game i cant play it for some reason :S

and when i check the other tab, there is more:
help me out? D:

im screwed arent i? :l
maybe better to get a new laptop D:

.. can the game be bought in ps3 store?

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
That can't be right, surely? I mean, this is a 90s era game right? There's no way it'd require anything half-decent to run. :|

Shaibana
01-09-2014, 03:20 PM
That can't be right, surely? I mean, this is a 90s era game right? There's no way it'd require anything half-decent to run. :|

my thought exactly :o

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Which Intel chipset are you running?

Do me a favour and Run "dxdiag". Go to "Display" and tell me what it says. Some Intel chipsets are suprisingly decent, whereas others are utterly useless, so if you can find what NVidia or AMD card your set compares to, it can help out a lot.

Shaibana
01-09-2014, 03:30 PM
is this what ur looking for? :o

Chiptype: Intel(r) HD Graphics (core i3)

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Eh, give it a shot. If my useless Intel crap can play some reasonably modern games on low settings, I imagine yours'll handle FFVIII perfectly well. :)

Shaibana
01-09-2014, 04:00 PM
i found a piratebay version, wich previously wsnt there, so im putting my hopes on that D:

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwGVXD7qEQ

Slothy
01-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I have no idea how the recommended specs could possibly be that high, but you more than meet the minimum specs so you'll be fine to run it.

Shauna
01-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Can You Run It says my laptop cannot run L4D2.

It can.

Jessweeee♪
01-09-2014, 10:38 PM
I think you'll be okay. FFVIII doesn't need a whole lot.

Heath
01-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I often found Can You Run It is rather pessimistic about what games it thinks your machine can run, often telling me I can't run things. I'd buy them anyway and they'd usually work fine. However, it's that cavalier attitude which has left me with a few games on Steam which I legitimately cannot run. I'm sure you'll be fine with FFVIII though.

Mirage
01-10-2014, 12:13 AM
That website is bogus as fuck. It's a game from 1999.

Jiro
01-10-2014, 02:50 AM
How old is your laptop? I've had no troubles running FFVIII on shitty systems before.

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2014, 03:45 AM
I'm pretty sure I can run FFVIII on my toaster.

Shaibana
01-10-2014, 11:52 AM
ive got the game now and so far its running as smooth as butter.
the only fear left is that i might not get through a cutscene, the same happened with FFVII at Dr. Bugenhagen's astronomy tower

Mirage
01-10-2014, 03:02 PM
that wouldn't be related to the power of your hardware in either case,but a bug in the game

is bugenhagen actually a doctor? in what?

Shaibana
01-10-2014, 03:52 PM
wasnt he refered at in te game with Dr? in VII?

anyway question about FF8 .. is there a Limit break?

Heath
01-10-2014, 07:21 PM
I don't know if he's ever referred to as a doctor.

Yes, there are limit breaks. They don't quite function the same as in the other games. There's no visible gauge that you can see, and they're triggered by low health but not every turn. There's a magic spell you can cast to increase the frequency of them.

AssassinDX
01-10-2014, 08:58 PM
In case anyone is wondering, the reason why the game has quite high requirements for such an old game is probably because it's been optimized to run on Steam and on modern operating systems, as the original coding was done for Windows 98 machines.

Shaibana
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
yes but even then it should say that that requirements :o even for a 'remastered' game its too much

Madame Adequate
01-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Because of the shoddy way they ported FFVII and VIII back in the day, the requirements for playing them on PCs are much much higher than they have any right to be. I'm surprised if even an old laptop has trouble these days but that's the reason the specs are so high.

Jiro
01-11-2014, 08:33 AM
I'd have thought the problem was that the game wasn't optimised. It's probably one of those cases where the game is so old it can't even recognise that your graphics card exists.

Bugenhagen might be a doctor in some translations of the game. It wouldn't surprise me, the dude is effectively a sage anyway. And astronomy is a pretty scientific field.

Shaibana
01-11-2014, 12:42 PM
a Dr, as like Sheldon Cooper is a Dr.

Mirage
01-11-2014, 01:49 PM
In case anyone is wondering, the reason why the game has quite high requirements for such an old game is probably because it's been optimized to run on Steam and on modern operating systems, as the original coding was done for Windows 98 machines.

That doesn't actually affect too much. The requirements are more likely to take into account whatever your current OS wants to have available. 4 GB RAM is sort of recommended just to use Windows 7 these days. The game is unlikely to use anything more than 500 MB. You can also probably get away with any graphics card that fully supports DX9.

Also, the game isn't in any way remastered. It is ported. It's not even much of a port, just a modification of the already existing PC version, which still runs on modern PCs if you just adjust your software right. Changing the PC version to work better with Win7 and such is likely to have been a pretty simple job, so don't flatter SE by calling it a remaster.

Shaibana
01-11-2014, 02:13 PM

That doesn't actually affect too much. The requirements are more likely to take into account whatever your current OS wants to have available. 4 GB RAM is sort of recommended just to use Windows 7 these days. The game is unlikely to use anything more than 500 MB. You can also probably get away with any graphics card that fully supports DX9.

Also, the game isn't in any way remastered. It is ported. It's not even much of a port, just a modification of the already existing PC version, which still runs on modern PCs if you just adjust your software right. Changing the PC version to work better with Win7 and such is likely to have been a pretty simple job, so don't flatter SE by calling it a remaster.

like i said 50414 Remasterd... i just dont know any other word for it

Mirage
01-11-2014, 02:26 PM
ported. that's another world for it

also, that idiocy suggested by the website are still recommended, not minimum system requirements. another reason to take it with a bucket of salt